Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: State troopers disarmed me during a traffic stop, awkward but ended positive.

OK sir, you are correct, I didn't have to answer his questions, but I did. In my opinion my encounter was a good one. Compared to other postings where the persons pistol was taken from them and the serial number run against the non-registry. Others like Mark were arrested and guns pointed at him. In my encounter, I wasn't disarmed and the officer was very professional and I showed him the same courtesy. The officer didn't have me get out of my vehicle, he didn't ask me to produce my pistol, he didn't ask to search my vehicle. He just said everything is OK, just don't make any sudden moves. I complied. The back up officer didn't approach my driver's side he just stood there. Look I don't blame the officer for calling for back up, he doesn't know me from a can of paint. I'll take out the "very" out of it and say in my opinion it was good encounter. This was the only encounter I had. As always everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just thought I'd shared my encounter. I would like thank everyone who voiced their opinion. Bob
    Last edited by bob2055; December 16th, 2011 at 01:58 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: State troopers disarmed me during a traffic stop, awkward but ended positive.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    What I want more than anything right now is to know what a lawful request to see a LTCF is? I know we must show it if the officer lawfully requests it, but thats where the water gets too deep to cross because noone knows what a "lawful request" is or under what circumstances it can happen.
    Since it is illegal to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a LTCF, and the officer finds out you have one (either by seeing it or by you telling him) would a request to see your LTCF be lawful?
    IANAL, but I would think so, since by having a firearm in a vehicle you must have a LCTC to be legal. If you refuse to hand over a LCTF, you are committing a crime.

The BS part of Bob2055's story is that the officer had to 'check' the status of his LCTF and the backup had to block him in as if he was a criminal. I don't necessarily think that Bob2055 did anything wrong on his end of the encounter, but the officers certainly did overstep the boundaries of what they should be able to do. Which is why we should try to enforce our rights and not bow down to illegal requests, just to make things easier for us.

I honestly do see both sides of the argument, and it's not an easy one to decide. You have to take a big personal risk in order to stand up for the rights of us all, and not everyone is capable or ready to do that. And I couldn't ask someone to do that for me either. But the fact of the matter is that if no one holds on to these rights, they WILL be lost.
    ~Daniel

(Lehigh County)

Examples of the only 'good' LEO encounters I can think of:

1) You're at the range and next to you is a guy who says he's a cop and says "hey nice shooting"

2) You walk by a LEO, open carrying at Wawa, and he points to your pistol and goes "nice! I want one of those!"

3) I have nothing else.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    OK sir, you are correct, I didn't have to answer his questions, but I did. In my opinion my encounter was a good one. Compared to other postings where the persons pistol was taken from them and the serial number run against the non-registry. Others like Mark were arrested and guns pointed at him. In my encounter, I wasn't disarmed and the officer was very professional and I showed him the same courtesy. The officer didn't have me get out of my vehicle, he didn't ask me to produce my pistol, he didn't ask to search my vehicle. He just said everything is OK, just don't make any sudden moves. I complied. The back up officer didn't approach my driver's side he just stood there. Look I don't blame the officer for calling for back up, he doesn't know me from a can of paint. I'll take out the "very" out of it and say in my opinion it was good encounter. This was the only encounter I had. As always everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just thought I'd shared my encounter. I would like thank everyone who voiced their opinion. Bob
    IMHO there it is in a nutshell, the perception of a "good encounter" lies within the individual.

I also think a lot of folks here are confusing "good encounter" with a perfect encounter, which in reality would be no "encounter" at all.

(Northampton County)

(Bucks County)

Didn't read the whole thread but just thinking it stinks that you had to fess up to your legal gun over an iPhone. Geez. Why didn't he just ask what was between your feet?

I don't understand the tough treatment on those carrying legally.... I mean...criminals never just walk around with a holstered weapon, nor would they voluntarily hand over a stolen one to an officer.

At least they didn't drag you out of your car and pat you down and search your car, though, I guess.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031