Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Smile NJ exile on vaca wants to explore PA

Hey all,

So I'm a country and rock guy on vacation starting Saturday. I know PA is a very scenic state from experience. I'm asking you guys, anywhere you think I should see or maybe some of you guys wanna join me, me and my friends got lost here and loved it every time.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: NJ exile on vaca wants to explore PA

You could always go drool at the marvel that is a place called Cabela's.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Butler County)

What part of the state are you planning on visiting?

It would help narrow down points of interest.

If you go to the Flight 93 Memorial, there are tons of outdoor rec areas to enjoy, even a ski resort: Seven Springs. Tons of hotels, many right off the PA Turnpike ramp.
    Hold the Line...

The backroads of North Philly can be exilarating to the newcomer. You'll be marveled at the heights to which mankind has devolved. You'll find the diverse wildlife a wonder to behold though some caution should be excercised if venturing out into the open. For the truely adventurous I recommend a late night excursion, the place comes alive with the denizens of the night. Be do be aware, the simularities between mating calls and primal warnings are confusing. "Yo bitch" can have two, and sometimes the same, meanings.

But seriously, any direction which takes you towards mountains is worth heading to. Then there is River Road (Route 32) along the Delaware River. Start at Washington's Crossing and head north. Just keep going till you think you have seen it all...then drive some more. You end up on 611 and eventually at the Water Gap.

If that seems too far, exit Rt. 32 at Caffery Rd in Point Pleasant (right after the dogleg turn at the Y in the road), proceed to Tory Rd, take that to next Y and bear left. When you see the little parking area, park. Walk across the road, through the trees and then watch out for the 265' drop off. You will have found High Rocks Vista, a mile long sheer cliff once owned by James Michner.

A bit further up the road in Upper Black Eddy is Ringing Rocks. A boulder field with boulders that ring when you hit them with a hard object such as another rock. Or hammer. Just don't use your hand, trust me on this one. Head either. I'll refrain from giving directions to this one, cause I don't remember( but I know how to get there) but it's not far off River Road.

The nice thing for you about trying River Road is your never very far away from NJ. If our wild west backwoods redneck gunslinging ways cause you distress, egress is close by. Somehow I have a feeling you won't be using the bridges, freedom tastes good.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Berks County)

One of my personal favorites is the Rt 6 drive in Northern PA, Potter and Tioga counties in particular.

Wellsboro is a great little town, looks like it is straight out of "It's a Wonderfull Life", right down the road is the "Grand Canyon" of PA...real nice area and drive. Lots to see and do along the way.

Just my .02
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    One of my personal favorites is the Rt 6 drive in Northern PA, Potter and Tioga counties in particular.

Wellsboro is a great little town, looks like it is straight out of "It's a Wonderfull Life", right down the road is the "Grand Canyon" of PA...real nice area and drive. Lots to see and do along the way.

Just my .02
    And a very worthy .02. If wandering further than sorta local, Ian has given excellent ideas. Also, don't let Gettysburg get past you. Sitting in The Devil's Den and knowing just what happened there....hard to describe, it must be experienced.

Something I used to do before real life set in (career, marriage, kids, etc) was simply ride (motorcycle) north. I had no idea where I was or where I was going. After a day or two I'd head south with no clear idea where I'd end up. I always came across a road I knew, even if I didn't know where I was exactly, and follow that towards home.

(Susquehanna County)

Ian & ER beat me to it. But get on Rte 6 somewhere near Port Jervis NY, (not far from Highpoint NJ) and head west until you think you've gone far enough.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Somerset County)

If you're looking for a more definite direction, how about the area around Benezette and the Elk Herd? Things should empty out up there after Saturday (last day of deer). Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield is worth a stop if you're in the area and they have a small museum of cars, big game and other stuff. Not sure of the hours tho. Dennys Beer Barrel Pub (also in Clearfield) is home to world famous huge burgers.

Altoona Railroaders Museum and Horseshoe Curve if you're a railfan. Also Steamtown in Scranton. Or head to Lancaster County and the Strasburg RR, National Toy Train Museum, and the Railroad Museum of Pa.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    If you're looking for a more definite direction, how about the area around Benezette and the Elk Herd? Things should empty out up there after Saturday (last day of deer). Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield is worth a stop if you're in the area and they have a small museum of cars, big game and other stuff. Not sure of the hours tho. Dennys Beer Barrel Pub (also in Clearfield) is home to world famous huge burgers.

Altoona Railroaders Museum and Horseshoe Curve if you're a railfan. Also Steamtown in Scranton. Or head to Lancaster County and the Strasburg RR, National Toy Train Museum, and the Railroad Museum of Pa.

Dale
    You cheatin' on us with a train?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast