Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default the shops that are here no longer

A little trip down memory lane. Anyone care to mention the gun stores that existed in this county at one time or another and are now gone? Any good experiences or stories regarding these bygone gun shops?

Never ceases to amaze me that we have a dwindling number of stocking dealers in delco in a time period that that has enjoyed sky rocketing gun sales. Fifteen to twenty years ago, the sales were not as high as now, but the number of stores in existance were higher. You may disagree, but internet sales can't be the total reason for this condition. I believe that there is still a large number of buyers that first want to touch the very weapon they plan on purchasing or can't negotiate the internet if their life depended on it.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: the shops that are here no longer

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    A little trip down memory lane. Anyone care to mention the gun stores that existed in this county at one time or another and are now gone? Any good experiences or stories regarding these bygone gun shops?

Never ceases to amaze me that we have a dwindling number of stocking dealers in delco in a time period that that has enjoyed sky rocketing gun sales. Fifteen to twenty years ago, the sales were not as high as now, but the number of stores in existance were higher. You may disagree, but internet sales can't be the total reason for this condition. I believe that there is still a large number of buyers that first want to touch the very weapon they plan on purchasing or can't negotiate the internet if their life depended on it.
    I can think of several:

• Llanerch gun shop. I think it closed in the mid-late 80's. I was too young to ever buy anything in there.
    • "Old Odd and Otherwise" on 420 in Prospect Park. Dom DiPlacido's place. Lots of old guns in there but way overpriced IMO. I picked up a few things from them after the owner died and they were selling-off the inventory. I think the store closed about 2 years ago.
    • Dusty Rhoades - used to have a shop on State Street in Media, then moved to Marcus Hook. The MH place had a shooting range in the back. You had to buy their reloads. Not sure when they closed. Probably over a decade ago.
    • "Gun Craft" on MacDade blvd in Ridley. I used to buy reloading supplies form them. They carried a good selection of Vhitavori powders. They went out of business in the past 5 years.
    • "Gordons" in Marple, near the intersection of Springfield Rd and West Chester Pike. I bought an Ithaca Model 37 from them about 15 years ago. I think they closed in the past 5 years too.

(Delaware County)

forgot about dusty. I suppose you were too young for joffe's on west chester pk, upper darby. Remember Gordons on west chester pike on the marple newtown line.

(Delaware County)

I was sad to see Edlemans leave Newtown Square years ago. Great shop for guns, shooting and hunting supplies.
    There was a nice shop right off of Chester Pike and RT 420 in prospect park also. Long since gone. I bought my first 22 rifle from them.
    Wow, I'm getting old!
    Miller's Sporting Goods on Chichester Ave will be next. He told me he'll be retiring in a year or two. I got the impression his wife wants out.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    Miller's Sporting Goods on Chichester Ave will be next. He told me he'll be retiring in a year or two. I got the impression his wife wants out.
    That sucks. I bought a 1911 from him last year. I usually buy my reloading supplies there so I'll have to look for another source. Delco Shooters Supply in Prospect part is a good shop but they tend to cater toward the pistol shooters, whereas I mostly shoot rifles.

I also remember "Flint & Frizzen" which was located in the Bazzar of All Nations. Not a true "gun shop" per-se but he did carry a lot of black powder guns and kits. I bought a CVA revolver kit from him. I think they did gunsmithing work too. I could spend hours in the Bazzar. It was a unique place.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BillD62 View Post
    Southeast archery closed around a year ago.

While Gordon's is no longer in Delaware county they are still around. They are located on route 100 in Eagle. Tom is getting ready to retire and his son Chris (I think that's his name) is going to take over. Very good guys to deal with.

Bill
    Bill, the gordons on route 100 is a different operation that was in marple on west chester pk. Two brothers that had a falling out years ago and went in two different directions. the gordon that was in marple retired in fla. and closed the store about 8 years ago. Actually, bill gordon tried to sell the business for years before closing it and going to fla.

the family feud was so severe that it was my understanding that the two brothers never acknowledged each other as relatives.

On a different note, does anyone remember the twice a week gun store at booths corner farmers market. Proprietor of which got jammed up with the atf and feds offered him a deal he couldn't refuse. close or get prosecuted.
    Last edited by c45man; December 7th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

(Delaware County)

Years ago there was one on Meetinghouse Rd. and Naamans Creek Rd. His name escapes me,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A really great gun shop. I felt like a kid in a candy store.

Edit: Max Miller
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lancaster County)

Are there any new ones to replace the lost shops? My wife's family lives in Delaware county and I'd very much like to do some shopping occasionally when I'm in town.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Are there any new ones to replace the lost shops? My wife's family lives in Delaware county and I'd very much like to do some shopping occasionally when I'm in town.
    Millers gun shop on chichester ave in lower chichester. On the web by name.

(Delaware County)

Newest shop in delco would be delco shooters supply, almost directly across from the old Old odd and otherwise.

I miss southeast archery.
    Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast