Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: the shops that are here no longer

Not in Delco but all have went away!

The Gun Gallery & Stoney Creek outfitters both in Mt. Penn
    The former owner of the Gun Gallery got locked up and went to jail. I dont know what happened to SCO. I just heard they closed up!

Sands Sporting good in Boyertown. (The Sands family retired by choice)

Vanbuskirk in Pottstown. I cant recall what happened to them.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Bob's in croydon near bensalem has been gone for a few years now .I loved that shop the old man was awesome .I bought a good bit from them.

(Delaware County)

I also will hate to see Millers go as I have bought some firearms and stuff from him in the past and was very good to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    ... I believe that there is still a large number of buyers that first want to touch the very weapon they plan on purchasing or can't negotiate the internet if their life depended on it.
    It's much easier to make an accurate judgment of quality when we have an opportunity to make contact. Example: how would we check headspace over the internet? Most sellers don't check this (I always do when buying), so it's caveat emptor for the buyer. This can be an acute issue if the seller specifies no returns.

My entry: West Chester Guns & Archery (formerly L&W Guns and Sporting Goods), located what is now Gramm's Kitchen on or about 537 East Gay Street in West Chester. Many, many fond memories of that place. The final owner of WC G&A was Fred Nudy, a real mover & shaker in the Chester County gun arena.

Fred Nudy (internet source)

WC G&A were still in business in the mid-80s, I'm guessing they closed down circa 1988-91 after relocating to the west side of West Chester at the intersection of Bradford Ave & Miner Street. The new facility had a shooting range, but the property was sold about five years later after a local fire department made a lucrative offer for the buildings and land.

At least one former employee re-appeared at Gordon's in Eagle, Bill Mulholland. Bill retired a few years ago.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; July 9th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Repaired image URL
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    It's much easier to make an accurate judgment of quality when we have an opportunity to make contact. Example: how would we check headspace over the internet? Most sellers don't check this (I always do when buying), so it's caveat emptor for the buyer. This can be an acute issue if the seller specifies no returns.

My entry: West Chester Guns & Archery (formerly L&W Guns and Sporting Goods), located what is now Gramm's Kitchen on or about 537 East Gay Street in West Chester. Many, many fond memories of that place. The final owner of WC G&A was Fred Nudy, a real mover & shaker in the Chester County gun arena.

WC G&A were still in business in the mid-80s, I'm guessing they closed down circa 1988-91 after relocating to the west side of West Chester at the intersection of Bradford Ave & Miner Street. The new facility had a shooting range, but the property was sold about five years later after a local fire department made a lucrative offer for the buildings and land.

At least one former employee re-appeared at Gordon's in Eagle, Bill Mulholland. Bill retired a few years ago.
    If that's the gun shop I'm thinking of, it was located on the end of the small strip stores next to what was once a Pantry Pride supermarket or some such thing.
    I was 13 years old when my father bought a Browning superposed shotgun in there. I never knew the shop lasted that long.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post

Yes fred nudy. I remember a store that he owned in berwyn on a side street about 1 block off of lancaster pk. circa 1970s. Before he opened the berwyn store, he frequented area gun shows renting tables and selling his wares. He and his wife went on to run the valley forge gun show.

During his berwyn days, he was a part of a buying group with 4 other gun stores to get the best wholesale prices by buying in quantity. One of the group members was dan titus of shooting specialties in bryn mawr. In the history of gun stores in the philly area, there has never been such a bazaar owner. anyone remember him? He was robbed inside his gun store in broad daylight and was serverly beaten by the thieves. He died about a year later as a result of the injuries sustained. Store was closed after dan's death around the mid 90s.
    Last edited by c45man; December 14th, 2011 at 12:28 AM.

(Chester County)

Does anyone remember the "OLD" Joffe's Gun Shop at 500 South 52nd Street in Philadelphia? (52nd & Larchwood Street). Used to go there almost every week and bought mucho ammo and guns there for extended target shooting. Had many happy hours there talking with the staff & Irv himself. Good people and lots of laughs.

(Chester County)

I may be a "Junior" member, but I ARE OLD!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blairo View Post
    Does anyone remember the "OLD" Joffe's Gun Shop at 500 South 52nd Street in Philadelphia? (52nd & Larchwood Street). Used to go there almost every week and bought mucho ammo and guns there for extended target shooting. Had many happy hours there talking with the staff & Irv himself. Good people and lots of laughs.
    Just before my time. Irv was able to sustain that business because of the heyday of military surplus. Even when moving to upper Darby, Irv always had a table of used accessories.

(Delaware County)

I am surprised no one mentioned Edelman's in Newtown Sq. The owner of the building would not renew their lease because Edelman's sold guns to members of Move just before the first uprising. Even though the sales were legal at the time, it did not matter to the building owner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast