Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Why Gun Sales Spiked on Black Friday

Most excellent quote... "...if you load up your AR and sling it when you go shopping, you have pretty much embraced the anarchy."
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Perhaps JPFO will have something special for Hannukah?
    L'chaim!!!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Most excellent quote... "...if you load up your AR and sling it when you go shopping, you have pretty much embraced the anarchy."
    Not if I am shopping for venison.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Bucks County)

I wonder if PA is included in that number, since we use PICS instead of NICS?

(Montgomery County)

" . . . what seems to be changing is social acceptance," said Bret Jordan, . . . Avondale Partners. "I think there might be a changing view of firearms."
    Oh, I sure hope so.

Good news, I say.

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Delaware County)

That number does NOT include the C & R holders that bought some of the deals on B/F. I'm sure there were a few others that did.

No PICS or NICS required......
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Some firearm friendly states actual have enacted into law state TAX FREE sales day over thanksgiving weekend that also might influence those numbers in article.
    In my opinion, sales tax holidays are horrendous public policy for a variety of wonkish reasons, not the least of which is the fact that generally all they do is impact the timing of purchases. Think of Cash for Clunkers -- people didn't buy more cars because of that program. They just changed when they replaced the cars they already had. Essentially, these kinds of gimmicks cannibalize future sales without any significant benefits. 4-6% reduction in price because of no sales tax? That's not going to get people who didn't need a new car, or wouldn't buy a gun, to get a new car or suddenly want a gun.

IMHO, if the issue is taxes, we need to deal with tax reform. If the issue is making firearms affordable, we need a market solution. If the issue is that we need more first-time owners, we need more grassroots outreach efforts.

Now, if folks want to argue about the existence of sales tax, that's another discussion best suited for other venues. This isn't that discussion.

I love this poll graph:
    "Sure, guns make a great present" precentage - 79%
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    In my opinion, sales tax holidays are horrendous public policy for a variety of wonkish reasons, not the least of which is the fact that generally all they do is impact the timing of purchases. Think of Cash for Clunkers -- people didn't buy more cars because of that program. They just changed when they replaced the cars they already had. Essentially, these kinds of gimmicks cannibalize future sales without any significant benefits. 4-6% reduction in price because of no sales tax? That's not going to get people who didn't need a new car, or wouldn't buy a gun, to get a new car or suddenly want a gun.

IMHO, if the issue is taxes, we need to deal with tax reform. If the issue is making firearms affordable, we need a market solution. If the issue is that we need more first-time owners, we need more grassroots outreach efforts.

Now, if folks want to argue about the existence of sales tax, that's another discussion best suited for other venues. This isn't that discussion.
    I've no issue with the purchase of firearms being taxed like any other item sold at retail. I don't want any "special treatment". It used to be that guns were treated like any other item you might purchase in a store or a catalog.

There is however the not insubstantial issue of the Federal Firearms Excise Tax. That's 10% on every pistol or revolver, 11% on every rifle or shotgun, and 11% on all ammunition sales. That is a tax that is targeted specifically at guns and ammunition, that isn't paid by the purchasers of other items.

To be fair the money does go to the Fish and Wildlife Service, which benefits hunters and fisherman and so forth. That said not everyone who buys guns and ammo is a hunter, especially these days.
    Last edited by eXceLon; December 6th, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(York County)

Those numbers dont include all the online sales where the gun is shipped to the FFL where the NICS will be done a few days later when it is picked up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast