Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Allentown Police Academy

So I am thinking that if I need to have corrective surgery on my eyes in order to qualify for the ACT 235 training, I wont be going after it anymore, because if I am shelling out that kind of money, I might as well go full bore and join the Allentown Police Academy.

Not knowing anything about it, can anyone tell me about it? How is it, Is it boot campish, or is it somewhat realistic to get through? I am 39, so does that make it impossible for me to be able to finish it?

Am I dumb for trying to go through it, and if I do, will I be able to find employment afterwards, or do you think my age then 40 will make it hard?

Interested in hearing opinions, thanks guys.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allentown Police Academy

The only part that is going to be troublesome for you will be retirement once you find a full time job. Almost all municipal police departments in Pa. have a 25 year and age 50-53 retirement. Many (like mine) have a mandatory retirement age of 65. So if you are successfully at 40..outstanding... 41 it becomes a little more difficult. Start taking tests now... the more you take the better you will do.

(Northampton County)

What kind of tests are you suggesting that i try to take? Are you talking about the pysch testing and things like that, or are you referring to something completely different?

Sure, if it is something that I can start doing now, by all means, of course I would start doing something, so let me know if it is.

Thanks

President Ronald Reagan

(Allegheny County)

Start taking departmental employment tests now for departments that don't require the Act 120 training as a prerequisite. You want to get a couple of the tests under your belt to see the different types of tets out there before "the big one" comes around.

Any other questions....feel free!

(Northampton County)

can you give some for instances? Like Allentown police department, you are saying that they would have a test? Or are you saying that some departments just dont have a pre requisite to filling out an application for them?

I guess I dont know what your talking about, so if you could give a little guidance that would be great

President Ronald Reagan

(Northampton County)

Also, is there anything that i could be studying, or reading through even before Police Academy to start preparing me, or laws that they go through that i could start learning, anything to start prepping me for getting involved in this?

President Ronald Reagan

(Chester County)

Start exercising now if you don't already do so. You need to pass a physical fitness test to the 30th percentile for your gender and age group just to get accepted into the academy. If I'm not mistaken, a 40 year old male must meet these standards- 300 meter run in 77 seconds or less, a 1 rep bench press ratio (based on your body weight) of 0.76, a one minute sit up test doing 27 of them, and a mile and a half run in 14:33. You must do the same test to the 50th percentile to graduate. (67.6 sec, 0.84, 31, and 13:05)

If you pass that, there is a Psych evaluation and a reading and writing test. I think the reading and writing test must be passed at the 9th grade level or better. Nothing to study, really.

I'm not familiar with Allentown, but per their website, tuition is $4300, classes usually start in February and July of each year, and applications are due 4 months prior to classes beginning, so you're SOL for the February class. http://www.allentownpa.gov/Governmen...7/Default.aspx

(Northampton County)

Smithwessn,

I appreciate all of the info that you gave, I had been on the site, but I must have missed one or two of those things that you mentioned so thank you very much.

I am excited about the possibility of joining, just praying about it and talking it over with my family, so I hope that it all works out in the end, but while I am in overall decent shape, I do worry about the fitness test. I should be fine with it, but I will always worry about it.

Anyone want to join me in the Allentown Police Academy this July!?!?!?!? Company would be nice.

President Ronald Reagan

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bradjc72 View Post
    What kind of tests are you suggesting that i try to take? Are you talking about the pysch testing and things like that, or are you referring to something completely different?

Sure, if it is something that I can start doing now, by all means, of course I would start doing something, so let me know if it is.

Thanks
    Here are examples of two job postings..

http://www.pachiefs.org/Default.aspx?pageId=885937

Both require that you have finished your ACT120 training before you apply. If you see testing announcements for departments that do not require ACT 120before you apply, take them every chance you get before you get out of the academy.

99% of police departments are civil service in nature and will require you to take a series of exams to get hired. Usually the written exam will come first, followed by an oral exam. There are also medical, psychological, and often polygraph phases as well.

As far as pre-academy goes.. Start kicking it physically. Nothing is worse than coming into the academy not ready for PT. Since you are going part time and will be working as well, spending time reading over the crimes code, vehicle code, and the Pa. Rules of Criminal Procedure you will be ahead of the game.

Dont forget to watch ALL the Police Acadamy movies too. They should help get you up to speed
    and to the dust you shall return

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast