Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default how do i use a mid bead?

I've shot quite a number of shotguns, so im not entirely rookie. With that said, my new scatter gun project (ill post in pic forum later) is equipped with both a front bead and a mid brass bead. It has a vent rib, so I know I don't have to adjust poi much, but what should my sight picture look like?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: how do i use a mid bead?

The middle bead should be smaller and should disappear behind the larger front bead...you should only see one bead. This indicates that you are looking directly down the plane of the rib. If the beads are stacked like a figure-eight, you'll be shooting high.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Monroe County)

The front bead is for farther targets, while the mid-bead is for close ones!

(Pike County)

Sight picture? Shotgun, there is no sight picture ;->

You should use the bead to confirm a consistent gun mount before calling for the bird when pre-mounting the gun. When shooting at the target, you shouldn't look at the bead at all.

(Allegheny County)

Basically, you pretty much don't have any choice on how the beads align for you. How they "stack up" is based on how the shotgun "fits you" when you mount it. And that is determined by your physical makeup and the measurements of the guns stock.

Basic stock measurements:
    -LOP (length of pull)
    -Drop at comb
    -Drop at heal
    -Cast

In an ideal world the shotgun should be modified to fit you, not you changing how your mount the gun to "get it" to fit.

Shotguns are pointed, not aimed. In other words, you only use the beads to check that you properly mounted the gun. If the gun fits you and you do your part, you don't use the beads, the gun will shoot where you look.

How the beads stack for you will determine the POI (point of impact). The only way to determine where the POI is for you, is to pattern the gun. If the beads line up the gun may shoot flat, if the beads are stacked as in a figure "8", the gun may shoot a little high. If you see any rib between the mid bead and the front bead, the shotgun will shoot even higher.

What are you going to do with your shotgun? What shooting activities?

Depending on the above answers, You may want to search the web for "shotgun fit" to read more on the subject.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

The shotgun is a corner leaner(hd) and fun gun. I will prob shoot flats, but only for fun. The only shots this gun will NEED to make are about 25ft (length of my longest straight hallway)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.seacat View Post
    The shotgun is a corner leaner(hd) and fun gun. I will prob shoot flats, but only for fun. The only shots this gun will NEED to make are about 25ft (length of my longest straight hallway)
    Using a shotgun for a man size target is different than for clay birds moving at 45 MPH. For 25 ft shots (or less) at a bad guy, all you need to do is line up the beads and pull the trigger. Figure 1" of spread per 1 Yard of distance. At 7 yards your pattern will be around 7" in diameter, so you'll still need to "aim".
    Last edited by Hawk; December 5th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Toujours prêt