Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Non-resident PA land owner open / concealed carry

How is the word 'abode' defined in the below paragraph? I am an non-resident PA landowner who maintains 79 acres of PA ground. I would like to carry a firearm (pistol) solely on my property for protection against trespassers and / or bear or to be used as a signal device if injured . Am I allowed to carry a gun on my person on my property, whether it be concealed or open carry without any firearm permits?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by PA CS Title 18 Chapter 61 Subchapter A § 6106
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Washington County)

Default Re: Non-resident PA land owner open / concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by emtbxs View Post
    How is the word 'abode' defined in the below paragraph? I am an non-resident PA landowner who maintains 79 acres of PA ground. I would like to carry a firearm (pistol) solely on my property for protection against trespassers and / or bear or to be used as a signal device if injured . Am I allowed to carry a gun on my person on my property, whether it be concealed or open carry without any firearm permits?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by PA CS Title 18 Chapter 61 Subchapter A § 6106
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your best bet would be just to get a non-resident permit. Its only $25 dollars, and if you apply in Washington county you'll be in and out the door in 15 minutes (Well, atleast as a resident I was, but it *shouldn't* be any different for non-residents). That way you don't have to worry about transporting the gun to and from Ohio or storing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattsValiant View Post
    Your best bet would be just to get a non-resident permit. Its only $25 dollars, and if you apply in Washington county you'll be in and out the door in 15 minutes (Well, atleast as a resident I was, but it *shouldn't* be any different for non-residents). That way you don't have to worry about transporting the gun to and from Ohio or storing it.
    To get a PA non-resident permit, you must possess one from your home state though. Does OP have a permit or license to carry in his/her home state?
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

Thanks. But I think to get a non-resident permit, I have to get a concealed carry here in OH. States are not reciprocal. I'm not concerned about the carry as I keep firearms locked and in trunk and ammo inside. I hunt in PA extensively.
    My property in in the sticks and the court house is only open weekdays and at least 1/hr one way in travel from PA property and 1.5 hours from OH residence. Really, if I can stay away from all the hassle I want to if I can do it legally.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattsValiant View Post

$20....but Washington County doesn't play by the rules...and wont issue to non-residents.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    $20....but Washington County doesn't play by the rules...and wont issue to non-residents.
    Uh, yeah, after a closer look at that link I don't think any of that information can be trusted.

I payed $25 with a check, and it says there $20 cash only, so *shrug*

A place of abode is where you live. And the law you cited says "in" not "on," so the law allows concealed carry without a LTCF only INSIDE your home.

Open carry is legal anywhere other than Philadelphia.

(Delaware County)

Thanks. But I think to get a non-resident permit, I have to get a concealed carry here in OH. States are not reciprocal. I'm not concerned about the carry as I keep firearms locked and in trunk and ammo inside.
    You should be concerned about the travel. Transporting in that manner without a license is illegal, save some exceptions

Thanks Greywolf..........not the answer I was hoping for but it does make sense.
    Looks like it'll be OH concealed carry class to get a non-resident PA carry permit. I've been procrastinating longer than I should.

Thanks Greywolf..........not the answer I was hoping for but it does make sense.
    Looks like it'll be OH concealed carry class to get a non-resident PA carry permit. I've been procrastinating longer than I should.
    You have the option of open carry on your land. But BimmerJon's point is valid -- to legally transport a firearm in PA without a LTCF you'll have to have it unloaded and either in the trunk or in some sort of container not easily accessible to the driver. And that's just on the PA side -- what does Ohio say about unlicensed transport?

IMHO, the FOPA would apply here (and still would require that the firearm(s) be unloaded and locked in the trunk or a gun case), but there is a thoroughly researched opinion floating around this site somewhere that proposes that the FOPA can't be properly applied to travel between contiguous states, despite the fact that such travel is clearly interstate travel. I don't agree with that opinion (but that's mostly because I don't like it).

And I almost forgot -- unless it has been recently canceled, PA is currently under a state of emergency by gubernatorial decree. When a state of emergency is in effect, even open carry is allowed only if you have a LTCF.
    Last edited by Greywolf; December 5th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast