Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs up I have chosen my first handgun

When I first joined this site a few weeks ago I was in the middle of my search for my first handgun. In the past I shot primarily revolvers, but wanted my first gun to be a semi-auto. I did a lot of research, picked the caliber, and then started testing some different guns to see which would be right for me. I'm planning to buy for concealed carry and home defense (although I admit the shotgun is my preferred home defense weapon)!

Here's what I tried:

Glock 19: Found it to be outstanding, however a bit "blocky" in my grip. I felt it fired very easily and accurately. I love the fact that it is so reliable, but definitely had to work a bit to get back on target quickly due to the odd feel of the grip in my hand. Quite frankly I also am not the biggest fan of the trigger safety.

SW M&P 9: Head to head with the Glock I gave this gun a slight edge. The shape and feel of the grip made it a bit easier for me to get back on target faster.

Taurus 9mm (809?): A bit different from the other two. It felt "good" all around, but there was something about it that just didn't allow me to get comfortable with it. With the other guns I started to get the feel for them after only about 10-15 rounds, but not with this one. The best I can say is it felt like I was driving someone else's car. It was nice, just didn't quite fit me.

Ruger SR9: The grip fit like a glove for me, and was very easy to bring back on target very quickly. Its almost as though it was specifically made for someone with my hand-size. I really liked the sights on it as well. I also fired the compact version and was totally sold.

With that said, I have decided to go with the Ruger SR9C as my first handgun purchase. I can't wait to put a couple thousand rounds through it to see just how good I can get with it. I'm going to head to the courthouse this week to get moving on my LTCF!

Now I have to figure out which IWB holsters will work with this weapon.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I have chosen my first handgun

Sounds like a good choice. I am glad that you were able to compare it to the others and make your choice that way. So many first time buyers buy something upon reputation and realize it is not for them. I think you will really like the Ruger, I own the LC9 and will be getting the SR9C soon. Enjoy!
    Sig, Walther, Colt, and S&W, of course.

(Luzerne County)

Shadowline, that's a great choice. My first was a LC9 and it is great for what it was intended but I wanted something more. My son's friend had a SR9c and after shooting it I was sold on the SR series. The exception was I went to the SR40c. Great handling, dependability and accurate and great price. My 40 was $400 so you should be less than that. 9mm ammo is priced low enough that you can shoot a lot without hitting the wallet hard. Ran thru over 600 rds in 6 weeks with the LC9. My 40 costs more that why I got into reloading. Holsters, Don Hume makes a real comfortable IWB. I've used Don Hume for both of my Rugers.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    *snip*

With that said, I have decided to go with the Ruger SR9C as my first handgun purchase. I can't wait to put a couple thousand rounds through it to see just how good I can get with it. I'm going to head to the courthouse this week to get moving on my LTCF!

Now I have to figure out which IWB holsters will work with this weapon.
    Excellent decision! The SR9c was my first gun only back in August. It's got a great trigger and is super reliable. Detail strip it (take the slide apart) and clean the striker channel (plenty of videos on YouTube), and you'll avoid any FTF's, FTE's, stovepipes, etc. I chose to keep the mag disconnect in, because I am a newb and don't mind the safety - but when you detail strip it, you can take that out if you don't want it in there - which will also allow you to dryfire the gun without a magazine in place without hurting anything.

The slide will get lighter as you put rounds through it. After cleaning the striker channel, I've had no failures with 1000+ rounds through it. It's now my nightstand gun and my carry gun. I bought an SR9, too - because I enjoyed it so much. You're going to love it!

I also rented a Glock 19, and found it very boxy, plus it was a Gen 4 which was throwing lead in my face, stovepiping left and right, FTF's, etc. The SR9c is reliable, compact, nice manual safety, nice trigger.

As for the holster, go with a High Noon holster! I just got and IWB High Noon holster, moulded, has a rail built in for sights, strong clip - the nicest SR9c holsters available, even non-IWB!

Good luck! Post some pics when you get it!
    Last edited by ckk09; December 4th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I love everything about my SR9c. As far as an IWB holster goes I'd recommend the Crossbreed Super-Tuck. Turn around time is about two weeks when I ordered mine in October but as far as comfort goes it's second to none. And the lifetime warranty sure doesn't hurt either.

(Lehigh County)

General question - there seems to be SO many that have purchased the SR9 or SR9c - but very few who have the SR40c and even less that have the SR40. Is this primarily because of ammunition costs?

(Northumberland County)

I have the SR9 for 2 years now close to 2K thru it without a single hiccup! I want the SR9c for my BUG . SR series guns are very reliable and fun to shoot.

You will not go wrong with a Ruger. They are workhorse's. I've looked at the SR9 and it's on my want list. Enjoy.

(York County)

I have had (And still have) several Ruger's and they are indeed workhorses.

Many don't approve of their politics at times, but the same can be said for S&W.

Ruger makes great products, period. I too like the feel of the SR9 and SR40 pistols as well, much more so out over the feel of the ugly Glocks. They feel much more like a single-stack pistol instead of so thick as a Glock.

Ruger came out with a 1911 recently, and I can't wait to finally see on in person.

Congrats!

- The Delta Force

(Northampton County)

U will def love your ruger. I carry a ruger kp944 in a cross breed super tuck and it is amazingly comfortable.some times i have to check to see if its there. Great quality and worth the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast