Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New member looking for 'Smith that des Ak/Galil work

First i would like to say hello to my fellow Pittsburgh shooters. I am a new member but have used the forums for problem solving and and such in the past.

I have a Century Galil clone and have problems with the rifle from day one. I am looking for an area Gunsmith that someone has had experience with and would trust their firearms with. I had sent it back once and none of the issues seem to have been corrected. Its been 3/4 years since i bought it now and don't think i would have much luck trying to send it back again. I would also love to hear any feed back on the failures any member may have.

The first issue is FTE and stovepiping of spent casings. i believe the stovepiped rounds may have something to do with the claw extractor, which is ridiculously tight and actually gouges and in some cases bends the rim. this may actually just not be letting go of the casing. in one or two instances the casing actually reseated itself on the bolt face pushing another live round from the magazine the when the bolt meets the next round after the spent case loaded tries to chamber a second live round in the same cycle of the bolt!!! (wtf).

The second issue i have experiences is spent brass actually being stuck in the chamber itself after firing. The casing is odged so had that i have to stick a dowel rod or something of the like down the barrel and hammer the casing out (broken several cleaning rods on the range table with this nifty trick...yay). in one case the unusually stiff claw extractor actually pulled the rim plus a god 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch off severing the casing and leaving the next and the majority of the casing jammed in the chamber. This sounds goofy and looked it twice as much but it looking like the casing what just cut cleanly in two. Most of these instances occured with wolf steel cased but has happened with Fedearl as well. The whole spam cam was 223 and the federal was 556 as the reciever is stamped 556, so im not sure that pressure of case matterial is the culprit. i want to take this gun back out of the safe and get her (I named her Yentel...oi vay) all warm and smokey again. The gun shoot great opens sigths and although stupidly heavy quite comfortable.

Thanks for your time and any help you may have !

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New member looking for 'Smith that des Ak/Galil work

I have a Golani too. When I first got it , nothing but FTE and double feeds. So first I took a Galil chamber brush and wrapped it in 0000 steel wool and went to work on the chamber. After, I used the brush by itself dipped in hoppes and then wrapped the brush with a patch dipped in hoppes. This really cleaned out the chamber. I then found some better quality Israeli galil mags and tried again . The weapon was much better. Galils are known for messing up the spent cases, don't plan on reloading them. I didn't shoot it for about a year, other toys have taken over. But i polished the feed ramp and have rebuilt two of the iffy mags with modified wolf extra power AR mag springs . I was getting some great bump fire out of the weapon fooling around, it was smoking hot and loads of fun.

Last week I put out about three hundred rounds and only had one double feed out of an untried mag I had. I have a caspian reciever golani and i read these are better than the ORF reciever builds. I think too that the combination of used bolt/ bolt carrier needs to break in and mesh with the new reciever. Make sure the weapon is GI clean and well lubed. Although many weapons can perform well with little or no lube until all your bugs are worked out this just eliminates one culprit .

I had the real pleasure of shooting a few Galil's when I was in the Army in 1987. These Golani's, while they may look like Galil's are certainly not. There was a ton of overspray inside the reciever, on the feed ramp and in the chamber. Any overspray in the chamber area can cause the cases to stick. Also, the steel cases may be a bit larger than the steel, this shouldnt be an issue. I really think if you take the time to work the chamber over as I described you may see some improvmeent. I had some Orlite mags for an Ar that would literally ejects two or three rounds into the reciever when seating the mag and subsequently when rapid firing. Worn or bent feed lip may be an issue with the mag youre using.

I cant stress the words "clean" and "lube" enough. Again, its an issue of weeding out easy things on the WTF is wrong with my Golani list. Try stripping the weapon and putting the bolt and bolt carrier into a bucket and hosing it down with brake parts cleaner, you'll be suprised how much stuff is hidden in the nooks and crannies of the used parts.

I hope this is at least a little helpful.
    Last edited by BigDukeSix; April 12th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.