Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default bulk 12 gauge ammo for skeet/sporting clays?

Hi all,

I need to purchase a large amount of 12 gauge ammo for skeet and sporting clays use. By large amount, I mean about 10 cases (2500 shells). My preferred brand is Remington Gun Club Light Target loads in both 8 and 9 size shot. I know, I know... I should reload. But I don't really have the time nor desire to do it. Does anyone know a place I can purchase these or similar light target loads for a good price?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

(Bucks County)

Default Re: bulk 12 gauge ammo for skeet/sporting clays?

Watch for Dick's Sporting goods to have a sale. Last time they had a great sale and Remington also gave a rebate of $1 per box.

Man did I stock up last time.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Delaware County)

I recently got into reloading shot shells, it's going to take a lot of reloads to recoup the cost I initially put out, even then I would basically be loading premium shells for the price of economy loads.

That said, WalMart generally has Winchester and Federal rounds at a reasonable price, I've never had a problem with them.

For online orders I normally buy whatever Cabelas has a sale on, sometimes they even includean ammo box.

FWIW I like the Remmington Gun Club rounds for reloads.

(Berks County)

You could try Shydas in Lebanon or Richland Shooters Supply in Richland, Lebanon County. Both sell bulk shotgun rounds to local clubs. Shydas keeps theirs in a closed area with a garage door, but Richland brings them and clays out on a forklift sometimes.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Chester County)

if you really want a good deal you need to look into bulk purchasing like they do at gun clubs. I had a few buddies who all committed to 10-20 cases each and then we called around. we finally got a really good deal. bought 93 cases from one dealer,all he had of the #8s we were looking for, and whacked them up.
    try the group buys on this site to see if anyone in your area has an interest.

(Pike County)

Kemen is the only outfit I know of that offers decent bulk pricing to consumers, shipping included (big factor). Other that that, I have to concur with the "wait for a sale at Dick's" crowd. I've still got 8 or 9 cases left from the last go-around ... IIRC, the "ship to store" option at Cabela's isn't bad if there is a rebate deal or something going on.

Not to thread-jack, but if anyone wants to do a bulk purchase of the Kemen stuff, I'm in for 20 cases.

(Montgomery County)

I picked up 12 boxes (1200 shells) from walmart for 180$ on the black friday sales.

Curious though what 20 cases costs on average? I was thinking of getting into reloading them, but like mentioned, doesn't seem worth it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    I picked up 12 boxes (1200 shells) from walmart for 180$ on the black friday sales.

Curious though what 20 cases costs on average? I was thinking of getting into reloading them, but like mentioned, doesn't seem worth it.
    Well, it is and it isn't. I pick up the empty hulls at my gun club so one of the components is free, buy the powder and other stuff in bulk, so in the long run you are using premium components and the end cost of the loaded shell is at economy prices, but that's after the initial cost of the loading machine. Some folks I know load their own and make specific adjustments in the mix for the type of shooting there are doing. I enjoy loading.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Well, it is and it isn't. I pick up the empty hulls at my gun club so one of the components is free, buy the powder and other stuff in bulk, so in the long run you are using premium components and the end cost of the loaded shell is at economy prices, but that's after the initial cost of the loading machine. Some folks I know load their own and make specific adjustments in the mix for the type of shooting there are doing. I enjoy loading.

I second this. I picked up my MEC sizemaster 12ga reloader off of Craigslist for $50. I also pick up hulls from my local sporting clays range and I now have enough for a lifetime of reloading. Buying components in bulk (100+ lbs lead, case of wads, primers by the brick) is a definite saver.

By my best calculations, I reload a box of 25 shells for about $3.50 per box right now. I would probably be paying about $7-8 for a comparable factory load. But my main motivation for reloading is that I really just enjoy it. It is a relaxing thing and my family leaves me alone when I do it. (a huge benefit on occasion)

(York County)

We shoot a ton of Gun Clubs and its hard to beat Dick's prices on them even with bulk orders. If there is anyone out there who can get Gun Clubs for less then $52.79 including tax and delivery please let me know.
    Head Coach, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters Youth Shotgun Team www.masondixonclaybusters.com