Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Stolen Guns

Question Stolen Guns

I can't find a better section of the forums to post this question.
    But, "Is there a site anywhere that a civilian like me can check the serial number on a firearm to see if it has been reported as stolen before I purchase it?" And hopefully a free site. I would never purchase a stolen gun if I had a way to find out ahead of time. I buy a lot of guns from individuals, and when they offer me a price that is just too good to be true, I always pass on it. IMHO anyone that would buy a stolen gun, deserves to have theirs stolen. But I really don't know of anyway to make sure it hasn't been stolen from someone before I buy it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Stolen Guns

No there isn't.

Sometimes people post serial #s of guns they had stolen on sites like this. You could try googling just the serial # or gun sites like AR15.com then the serial #. Then do the same with thehighroad, thefiringline, glocktalk, pafoa etc.

Default AR-15.com & Stolen Guns

AR-15.com will not accept users with "common" e-mail addresses: @Yahoo, @HotMail, @gmail, etc. Is there somewhere else to check for stolen guns?
    "1"starts the Militia; you are not alone but fight as though you are.

Thank you MartinBrody for your reply. It's a dang shame there isn't some place to find out. Guns are at the top of the list of stolen items. But a lot of people don't keep a record of there guns serial #'s, so there is no way to prove that they belong to them if they are recovered. I keep a running tab on all the serial #'s on mine. Most people think they can just go back to the gun store they bought it from and get all the information they need to give the cops. But that don't work. Gun dealers are required to keep that on paper. And a lot of stores sell 1000 to 3000 guns a month. Trying to find the exact gun you bought from them is an impossible task for them.

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR-15.com & Stolen Guns

Quote Originally Posted by LongOneShortOne View Post
    AR-15.com will not accept users with "common" e-mail addresses: @Yahoo, @HotMail, @gmail, etc. Is there somewhere else to check for stolen guns?
    I have found gun site search engines are usually not as good as google, if you google ar15.com and the serial # it will might bring up a link to a thread, but from lurking it seems you can only view posts going back so far so I don't know how well it will work.

Also to the OP, a price that seems too good to be true could be an indicator that a gun was stolen, but so could someone who doesn't seem familar with what they are selling or who just seems shady in general. Happy shopping!

(Montgomery County)

Google "stolen guns" and I got this: http://www.stolenweapon.com/Stolen-G...artsearch.html

Thanks for your reply RXM. At first that looked like a cool site and I registered. It said it was free. I guess it is if all you want to do is look around. But when I tried to look up a serial number they wanted me to pay for a membership that cost $12.99. That's not much money, but I don't know anything about who's running that site and I'm not going to give them my credit card number. But again thanks for your reply.
    I wish there was a free website for this purpose. I know you can get a website for free. I have helped create at least 3 of them. As long as you don't have anything illegal posted on it and can deal with some down time on occassions.