Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Maybe the worst holster idea EVER!

I stumbled across this VersaCarry holster online today, and I almost thought it was a joke. A holster the supports the gun with a plug the protrudes into the barrel, really? One of the very first things I was taught about firearms is that you never put anything down the barrel of a loaded weapon. Someone is going to have their gun blow up in their face using this thing. Check it out tell me what you think.

http://www.versacarry.com/

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Maybe the worst holster idea EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Quigar57 View Post
    I stumbled across this VersaCarry holster online today, and I almost thought it was a joke. A holster the supports the gun with a plug the protrudes into the barrel, really? One of the very first things I was taught about firearms is that you never put anything down the barrel of a loaded weapon. Someone is going to have their gun blow up in their face using this thing. Check it out tell me what you think.

http://www.versacarry.com/
    I've seen under-desk mounts for pistols that support the front of the pistol through the barrel. I don't have a problem with this except, there is nothing to protect the trigger... You would have to carry with an empty chamber to be safe... For that reason, I wouldn't buy one.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

While I don't like the holster I will adress the plug issue,unless you attempt to shoot it while in the holster then there should be no issues. I carried my M-9 with a foam ear plug in the barrel to keep the sand and crap out of it during dust storms and general carry. Never had a problem and I shot the plug out more than once.
    Last edited by DennisH82; December 1st, 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added plug issue

(Bucks County)

This came up a couple months ago. The general consensus was that it was unsafe because it does not cover the trigger guard. Also it provides nearly zero retention. Also the guy points multiple guns at himself in the video:

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I've seen under-desk mounts for pistols that support the front of the pistol through the barrel. I don't have a problem with this except, there is nothing to protect the trigger... You would have to carry with an empty chamber to be safe... For that reason, I wouldn't buy one.
    I'm not sure how I feel about it, but inclined to have the same thinking here. What if it's for a 1911 or other guns with manual thumb safety? It should mitigate the risk of negligently pulling the trigger quite a bit, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    This came up a couple months ago. The general consensus was that it was unsafe because it does not cover the trigger guard. Also it provides nearly zero retention. Also the guy points multiple guns at himself in the video:

Regarding the retention point, I'm not so sure. I feel that the majority of retention when carry IWB (in a holster without thumb break) is due to the friction of the body against the grip of the gun. What primarily provided by the IWB holster in term of retention is a way to anchor the gun in 1 spot (besides the trigger protection).

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Regarding the retention point, I'm not so sure. I feel that the majority of retention when carry IWB (in a holster without thumb break) is due to the friction of the body against the grip of the gun. What primarily provided by the IWB holster in term of retention is a way to anchor the gun in 1 spot (besides the trigger protection).

Al
    The same pressure from your belt that holds your gun in place is also the pressure that can push it out. Think about squeezing on a watermelon seed or grabbing a greased egg. A typical IWB holster will provide friction over nearly every surface of the gun, and will be clipped to your belt, which is what keeps it from falling out. This "holster" does clip to your belt, but only stops your gun from falling down into your pants, and does nothing to keep it from riding upwards. It might be enough if you are just casually walking around, but what will happen when you need to run, or lift a heavy/awkward object, or climb a ladder, or get in/out of a vehicle all day?

Or have a shirtless wrestling match?

(Philadelphia County)

The same pressure from your belt that holds your gun in place is also the pressure that can push it out. Think about squeezing on a watermelon seed or grabbing a greased egg. A typical IWB holster will provide friction over nearly every surface of the gun, and will be clipped to your belt, which is what keeps it from falling out. This "holster" does clip to your belt, but only stops your gun from falling down into your pants, and does nothing to keep it from riding upwards. It might be enough if you are just casually walking around, but what will happen when you need to run, or lift a heavy/awkward object, or climb a ladder, or get in/out of a vehicle all day?

All good points. I don't generally do anything extraneous when I carry IWB. While I doubt I'd bother to give it a try, I'd be interested in hearing people who actually tried the holster have to say.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Monroe County)

To touch on this for a moment...I have used the Bianchi Professional IWB holster for about 14 years. It has an open top and I have danced, done spin kicks, round-offs and cartwheels while wearing it and never lost my gun or had it even attempt to slide out of the holster. I have also run while wearing it only to have the same results.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    To touch on this for a moment...I have used the Bianchi Professional IWB holster for about 14 years. It has an open top and I have danced, done spin kicks, round-offs and cartwheels while wearing it and never lost my gun or had it even attempt to slide out of the holster. I have also run while wearing it only to have the same results.
    How about shirtless rasslin'?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    While I don't like the holster I will adress the plug issue,unless you attempt to shoot it while in the holster then there should be no issues. I carried my M-9 with a foam ear plug in the barrel to keep the sand and crap out of it during dust storms and general carry. Never had a problem and I shot the plug out more than once.
    Thats almost as good as watching an M-9 fall out of a "Tactical Holster" and run along side a HMMV for, oohhh, a good while. LOL The slide was completely gone when we returned to the FOB.

Honestly, I like the idea.

CL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast