Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should I send my SR9C back to Ruger?

Should I send my SR9C back to Ruger? I was watching a Video on the functions of the SR9C it said that it has a magazine disconnector (so that gun will not fire if the magazine is not in it) the guy on the video demo this a number of time.

I thought that was something for relative mid price gun, anyway I take the magazine out, step out into the inside range point it down range and pull the trigger, (big indicator saying round in chamber) I'm thinking that's Ok because it has a MD for the trigger. Guest I want trust even Rugers engineer department again. It goes to show that anything made by man can fail. Ears ringing do you think I should send it back to Ruger to have that fixed or just acknowledge that it doesn't work and live with a smoother trigger (later I founded people are disconnecting this feature for a slightlty better trigger).

What would you do?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Should I send my SR9C back to Ruger?

Did you buy the gun new?

(Clinton County)

I would send it back. Like you said anything made by man can fail. The best safety sits on your shoulders

(Delaware County)

If it were me I'd call Ruger and send it back. I'm no expert on gun prices but down the road if you do go to sell it, the fact that it fires without the magazine when it's advertised not to may diminish the value.

I personally think that feature is a pain so I bought my M&P without it. Let us know what you end up doing and if you send it back how Ruger handles it.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    Did you buy the gun new?
    Yes, did you buy it new? If you bought it used someone might have removed the magazine disconnect.

Looking at Ruger's website and extrapolating from there, we see that there are four models of the SR9C (counting color variations). Two of those models come with 17-rd mags and the other two come with 10-rd mags. The two that come with 10-rd mags are approved for sale in MA & CA.

MA requires a magazine disconnect safety (not sure about CA). The two 17-rd models are not approved for sale in those two states, and I'm assuming that it is more than just mag capacity. Chances are that the gun in the video you saw was a MA/CA model and had the mag safety. Betting the 17-rd models do not have that safety, and that is what you have. Sig does the same thing - making MA specific models with mag safties, when those for freer states are no so equipped. A simple phone call to Ruger CS should ascertain whether my assumptions are correct.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

The one I owned came with a 17-rounder and had a mag disconnect. I wasn't initially aware of it, and I tested it on the range. Yup, mag disconnect worked.

In my case, I bought it to play with, GF ended up liking it as a carry gun, so we transferred it to her, as her first gun. (guess it might have been easier to just get married, but that's not in the immidiate plans).

(Clarion County)

I would call Ruger, they will advise as needed. You'll never find a more helpful customer service department in the firearms industry!
    "Aint no sense in being dumb if'n ya don't show it once in a while"

(Bucks County)

My understanding is that all 4 models on rugers site have the mag disconnect. The reason for it being CA approved is because of the 10 round mags (CA limit for rounds per mag).

Neko,

If bought used it may have been removed by the original owner. If new, call ruger. If used, check to see if the mag disconnect assembly is still there. Easy to check, check out one of the vids on removing it so you know what to look for.

Bought brand new 1 10 round mag and a 17 rounder. I don't know its not a big safety issue NOW that I know it doesn't work. It was a BIG surprises to have it advertised and demoed working after ejecting his 17 round mag!!

Its a great gun other wise almost like a Slim line Glock, with a slide safety.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 30th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast