Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Prohibited or not?

Hello,

I have been trying to determine whether or not I am prohibited from owning firearms and carrying them openly for sporting activities. Unfortunately, I have seen many conflicting posts. Here is my situation.
    In 2004, I was convicted of DUI (drug related). A small possession of marijuana and a possession of paraphernalia charges were both dropped in this case. About five years ago, I was convicted of possession of paraphernalia charge. Both charges occurred in Wayne County, PA. I am not interested in a LTCF, I only wish to carry firearms during applicable hunting seasons. I have been denied for a pistol purchase. I have seen posts saying that I should only be prohibited if the crime carried a sentence of two years or more, but have also seen posts saying any drug conviction is a disqualification. Any help in this matter would be appreciated, however, please save any self-righteous bigoted remarks for another poster. Thank you for your help.
    S.

Default Re: Prohibited or not?

"please save any self-righteous bigoted remarks for another poster. Thank you for your help."

Lost me right there.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

I'm not a lawyer, unlike The guy above my post.... but if I recall correctly, any conviction for a drug offense is an automatic disqualification for firearms ownership of anykind. You will be committing a felony simply by handling a gun.... any gun.

EDIT:: Here's the law on prohibited persons... http://paopencarry.org/uniform-firearms-act#6105
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; November 29th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northampton County)

Sounds like you need to contact somebody...
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    "please save any self-righteous bigoted remarks for another poster. Thank you for your help."

Lost me right there.
    Were you planning on replying with a self-righteous, bigoted post?

(Northampton County)

You may wish to reference 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105 to start, a cursory glance doesn't reveal why you're prohibited based off of your vague description of events.

There's a federal statute somewhere that I am not equipped to find (since I'm not a lawyer) which you may be well served to read, also.

Good luck.

(Chester County)

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/i...d-persons.html

The Gun Control Act (GCA) makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms. 18 USC 922(g). Transfers of firearms to any such prohibited persons are also unlawful. 18 USC 922(d).

These categories include any person:

* Under indictment or information in any court for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    * convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    * who is a fugitive from justice;
    * who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    You may wish to reference 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105 to start, a cursory glance doesn't reveal why you're prohibited based off of your vague description of events.

There's a federal statute somewhere that I am not equipped to find (since I'm not a lawyer) which you may be well served to read, also.

Good luck.
    I have read both, and am confused by the language, which seems contradictory. Without recounting minute by minute the actions which led to my current disposition, I feel that my description of prior convictions was not vague. If it makes any difference ( I can't see how it would) I was arrested smoking marijuana with friends in a motor vehicle that was parked. I was 18 years old. The possession was dropped because I did not possess anything on my person, another occupant of the vehicle did. The possession charge a few years later was also with friends in a vehicle stop ( I wasn't the driver that time). I have had a clean record since, work full time and I am a full time student. I pay my taxes and now contribute to society in a meaningful way through volunteerism. I know this doesn't change my actions in the past. I just wish to resume a family tradition (hunting). At any rate, thank you for your assistance in this matter.
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by serpintaxt View Post
    Were you planning on replying with a self-righteous, bigoted post?
    No, but sometimes it just happens.

More to the point, if you had said "I need help, but all you Commie Jew Faggots and ******s can just shut the fuck up", I would have had the same vibe, despite the fact that I personally don't fall into any of those categories.

For a first post, you had a pretty aggressive demeanor, especially for a first post begging for free advice. Around these here virtual parts, the attitude "help me or go fuck yourself" gets little traction. Not even from the established posters.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    No, but sometimes it just happens.

More to the point, if you had said "I need help, but all you Commie Jew Faggots and ******s can just shut the fuck up", I would have had the same vibe, despite the fact that I personally don't fall into any of those categories.

For a first post, you had a pretty aggressive demeanor, especially for a first post begging for free advice. Around these here virtual parts, the attitude "help me or go fuck yourself" gets little traction. Not even from the established posters.
    It happens when a question isn't getting the wanted answer too, most of the time the answer is kind of already known to an OP, but not getting the answer ya wants pisses 'em off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast