Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Is it "bad" to keep a pistol holstered when not in use, for long periods of time?

What do you guys think?

I keep my Ruger SR40 in it's Fobus OWB holster in my safe when not in use. I know Fobus gets a bad rap but I love the thing. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys think it can cause holster wear on the firearm by remaining in a holster for long periods of time (a week or so) - or does holster wear only appear from constantly holstering, removing and re-holstering? Consider that the Fobus holster is plastic and hard. I have no real reason why I leave it in the holster other than it saves space and is convenient, so if this is not a good idea, I would certainly change.

Pic of my setup for reference from 2 min ago:

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Is it "bad" to keep a pistol holstered when not in use, for long periods of time?

From my experience the holster wear occurs when the gun is being carried, holstered and reholstered because these are the times when the holster rubs against the gun. So I would say that its perfectly okay to keep your gun in its holster when storing it. Also I have found that kydex holsters tend to be much easier on a guns finish when compared to leather. This was surprising to me at first but most crossbreed IWB holster owners would probably see that the side of their gun that is in contact with the leather wears at a much quicker rate.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Is it "bad" to keep a pistol holstered when not in use, for long periods of time?

I would think that would be fine unless the holster was a leather holster, then i would not keep it holster all the time when not in use. But that is just my personal opinion.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    I would think that would be fine unless the holster was a leather holster, then i would not keep it holster all the time when not in use. But that is just my personal opinion.
    This is because of moisture drawn to the leather, or in the leather, correct?

(Chester County)

my s&w model 29 revolver blued finish has been sitting in a leather holster for 25 years and there is no evidence of it. I would hardly worrry about a stainless gun like yours. Besides its not like its a 2000 dollar safe queen. Your gun is a tool for you. Would take a lot to ruin that model

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    Besides its not like its a 2000 dollar safe queen. Your gun is a tool for you. Would take a lot to ruin that model
    oh how I wish I had a $2000 safe queen

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    oh how I wish I had a $2000 safe queen
    that ruger is a workhorse and wont ever let you down.

You carry it all the time, and I assume that you practice draws. It will wear where your clothes, body, and holster contact the firearm. To me this is good honest wear from using the gun for its intended purpose, your daily carry. Its like a hunting dog, they get scars from running through the bushes, doing their job. It gives them character. I have an old 1911 clone from the 80's. its my daily carry. It has rubs, scratches, dinks and scrapes. But its a reliable good shooter and I would never part from it, only from my cold dead hands.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Blair County)

It will be fine. It would show more wear if you unholstered and reholstered it every time you put it away or got it out. I usually keep my guns in their holsters just to make it easy to find them. I used to have a Fobus for my Taurus 99fp. It was so tight and the slide was so sharp on top that it would gouge a little curly piece of plastic every time I inserted it into the holster, it never wore on the gun finish...just damaged the holster....I think their kydex is softer then other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    This is because of moisture drawn to the leather, or in the leather, correct?
    The problem is the leather will draw the oils from the gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast