Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Belts

Default Gun Belts

Sorry if this is the wrong section.
    I am going to be turning 21 in the next month and already have a Sigma .40 on layaway (please no flack for my choice, it fits my hand comfortably and my price range at this time). I am planning on carrying IWB.
    What are the advantages to an actual "Gun belt" vs an ordinary belt?

Default Re: Gun Belts

Quality makes the difference, i personally have never bought into the gun belts theories and I have always made out just fine with my Kenneth cole belts!

Thanks, What should I look for in a belt for carry? Just a little bigger then then if I was not carrying to accommodate the gun?

(Lancaster County)

Congrats on your choice! This may not be someone else's first pick, but why should THAT be important! You said the optimum thing - it fits YOUR hand, and your budget. Good on you! I like Glocks, but I carry a Kel-Tec or a Smith and Wesson revolver! but those work for me. A good belt whether a "gun belt" or just a sturdy belt can make a big difference . The lighter the gun, the less important this is, but a sigma fully loaded will weigh you down... bottom line - get a good belt.

Good luck ! Cb

Thanks for the advice was wondering why a belt made so much of a difference.

you typically want a well made sturdy belt, somewhat close to the ones you probably got your ass whipped with when you were a kid but of all the designer belts i've found Kenneth Cole belts to be pretty tuff and strong as hell...

i've ran, jumped, lifted things etc all wearing the same belt w/ my sidearm on me and no issues.

those dickie belts are pretty well made also but wearing them makes me think i'm in combat mode

I recommend looking at the beltman belts.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Delaware County)

I'm a fan of the wilderness tactical belts myself. I've been wearing the same one for probably about 4 years now, without any mishaps! very stiff belt, and I like that it has the loops to fasten the belt rather than the holes in the belt so that if you gain or lose some weight, you can keep it tight without drilling additional holes in your belt.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

Here's my .02.

A typical belt is designed to support the weight of your pants and whatever happens to be in your pockets and that's it. A gun belt is specifically designed to support that AND the weight of a loaded gun, spare mags/speedloaders, and a variety of other gear (pepper spray, flashlight, etc). That's where the difference is, what its made to support.

If you're looking for something less than 1 1/2 inches wide I'd recommend just getting a gun belt. If you're comfortable with the look of a wider belt then as has been said, Dickies (and other "work" belts) will do the job because they're made to support extra weight (tools etc that a working man would carry) but from experience with them, being made from a single layer of leather with no reinforcing they will stretch over time. I had to replace my dickies belts about once a year. At $12 that wasn't too bad, but after 5 years thats $60 on belts that could have been spent on a gun belt that would have lasted 10+ years.

Your budget will be a big factor in which way you go, either way what you'll be looking for is a belt that's flexible laterally so it wraps around your waist without feeling like its a steel band but is sturdy vertically so its doesn't sag, twist, etc when there's a load on it. You don't need to buy a gun belt to get that but doing so guarantees you will.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

The belt I had before I got a gun belt had the holes literally stretch to inches long. You'll burn through belts like no other if you carry often. I use a rafters gun belt, I've had it about three years. Still holds up strong and only costs 50 bucks. Looks like a normal belt too, sans the thickness.

I'd highly recommend a good gun belt.

Edit: It also feels soooo much nicer. Try one out, you won't go back.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast