Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Unhappy PA PICS in research

Hi! I know there are alot of other post like this. But none of them ease my mind. I own 3 pistols already, I have a permit to carry and the other day I went to pick up a new gun (just to collect) and my PICS went into research. I can give details of why and I had a hunch something would go wrong. Last year my significant others ex wife called the police on me and I was charged with harassment and terroristic threats, both M3s. The best part of this is I was never contacted until a month after she called the police and I found out by my name being in the newspaper. However, if the police would've contacted me that day, they would've gotten the truth. Everything that was published was way off and she had no proof. Basically it was retaliation for me calling child protective services on her because she is a druggie and I am a psychiatric nurse and in that field I am a mandated reporter for endangered children (which are also my boyfriends kids). Anyway, when it went to court the "arresting" officer told my attorney that he only charged me because he was "having a bad day". Literally this happened. So, he also saw that everything she claimed was BS bc I had phone records etc etc. the other part to the story is, her bf is an ex psych patient who hates me and has stalked my family, but that is just more fuel to the fire. The charges were withdrawn and it could have gone to a higher court in my favor but I wanted it ended that day and took a summary offense, paid $50 and the M3s were withdrawn. So, it has been 2 days. And I am so anxious. Anyone have experience on this? Please help!!!!!!

(Mercer County)

Default Re: PA PICS in research

Oh one more thing, I never had my carrying permit revoked in case I didn't mention that. I'm sorry I'm just really upset about this

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney724 View Post
    I wanted it ended that day and took a summary offense,!
    facepalm..... What did you plead to? There are several crimes that automatically make you prohibited.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...sfer-firearms/

(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) A person who has been convicted of an offense enumerated in subsection (b), within or without this Commonwealth, regardless of the length of sentence or whose conduct meets the criteria in subsection (c) shall not possess, use, control, sell, transfer or manufacture or obtain a license to possess, use, control, sell, transfer or manufacture a firearm in this Commonwealth.

(b) Enumerated offenses.--The following offenses shall apply to subsection (a):
    Section 908 (relating to prohibited offensive weapons).
    Section 911 (relating to corrupt organizations).
    Section 912 (relating to possession of weapon on school property).
    Section 2502 (relating to murder).
    Section 2503 (relating to voluntary manslaughter).
    Section 2504 (relating to involuntary manslaughter) if the offense is based on the reckless use of a firearm.
    Section 2702 (relating to aggravated assault).
    Section 2703 (relating to assault by prisoner).
    Section 2704 (relating to assault by life prisoner).
    Section 2709.1 (relating to stalking).
    Section 2716 (relating to weapons of mass destruction).
    Section 2901 (relating to kidnapping).
    Section 2902 (relating to unlawful restraint).
    Section 2910 (relating to luring a child into a motor vehicle or structure).
    Section 3121 (relating to rape).
    Section 3123 (relating to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse).
    Section 3125 (relating to aggravated indecent assault).
    Section 3301 (relating to arson and related offenses).
    Section 3302 (relating to causing or risking catastrophe).
    Section 3502 (relating to burglary).
    Section 3503 (relating to criminal trespass) if the offense is graded a felony of the second degree or higher.
    Section 3701 (relating to robbery).
    Section 3702 (relating to robbery of motor vehicle).
    Section 3921 (relating to theft by unlawful taking or disposition) upon conviction of the second felony offense.
    Section 3923 (relating to theft by extortion) when the offense is accompanied by threats of violence.
    Section 3925 (relating to receiving stolen property) upon conviction of the second felony offense.
    Section 4906 (relating to false reports to law enforcement authorities) if the fictitious report involved the theft of a firearm as provided in section 4906(c)(2).
    Section 4912 (relating to impersonating a public servant) if the person is impersonating a law enforcement officer.
    Section 4952 (relating to intimidation of witnesses or victims).
    Section 4953 (relating to retaliation against witness , victim or party).
    Section 5121 (relating to escape).
    Section 5122 (relating to weapons or implements for escape).
    Section 5501(3) (relating to riot).
    Section 5515 (relating to prohibiting of paramilitary training).
    Section 5516 (relating to facsimile weapons of mass destruction).
    Section 6110.1 (relating to possession of firearm by minor).
    Section 6301 (relating to corruption of minors).
    Section 6302 (relating to sale or lease of weapons and explosives).
    Any offense equivalent to any of the above-enumerated offenses under the prior laws of this Commonwealth or any offense equivalent to any of the above-enumerated offenses under the statutes of any other state or of the United States.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; November 27th, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

(Mercer County)

I pled guilty to a summary offense of disorderly conduct. The misdemeanors were withdrawn.

(Delaware County)

I pled guilty to a summary offense of disorderly conduct. The misdemeanors were withdrawn.
    Not a lawyer, but you should not be prohibited based on that.
    You should be notified when officially denied or not, from then you can find out why. Having been charged with something, they might of wanted to do some research on you and couldn't pass your PICS on the spot.

I wouldn't worry and even if you do get denied, follow up on it ASAP as sometimes it can be a clerical error or something stupid.

(Mercer County)

Thanks for the input. Eased my mind a bit. I mean c'mon, if it was an issue wouldn't my permit have been revoked? I had to relive the crap in the gunshop the other day. The charges are expungable too. So I don't think it's a huge issue but of course....

(Franklin County)

Thanks for the input. Eased my mind a bit. I mean c'mon, if it was an issue wouldn't my permit have been revoked? I had to relive the crap in the gunshop the other day. The charges are expungable too. So I don't think it's a huge issue but of course....
    Are you sure they were expunged?
    I had a charge several years ago that was supposed to be expunged. A couple of years went by and I had been turned down for a few nice government contract jobs for reasons that couldnt be explained. I got a friend of mine (a state trooper) to run me through NCIC and clear as day, there was my charge. Come to find out, a couple of law enforcement agencies never expunged the records so when a background check was done for those government positions, it still showed my charges. When I notified the judge who had ordered the expungement, he was major pissed off about his court order not being followed and he actually got on the phone and took care of it himself. By then I had not worked in my field for nearly three years, the damage done, it pretty much ended that career for me.
    Moral of the story, check to make sure your record was in fact expunged as the court has ordered.

(Mercer County)

No, my charges have not been expunged yet, but I did recently (before all of this) check with my attorney to make sure they were expungable. However I do know that expunged charges are not viewable when regular checks are ran for employment, but the charges still appear in your "police" file. Makes me sick that people can go through this just because an officer is "having a bad day". A little side note, this officer tried running for county sheriff...yeah...he didn't win but how wonderful right?!

(Franklin County)

No, my charges have not been expunged yet, but I did recently (before all of this) check with my attorney to make sure they were expungable. However I do know that expunged charges are not viewable when regular checks are ran for employment, but the charges still appear in your "police" file.
    It may vary from state to state but the court order for my expungement clearly said that all records were to be destroyed. I actually received a copy of the court order that specifically told me to destroy any records that I have as well. The issue I ran into was that a couple of law enforcement agencies didnt destroy the record as they shouldve.

(Mercer County)

Lucky you, because of course my state is PA where everything seems to be jacked up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast