Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Need some advice...

Trying to get my dad into target rifle shooting as an activity we can do together. I don't want to get him anything overwhelmingly powerful so as not to deter him from shooting all-together. For this I am trying to decide on .22 LR or .17 HMR. Any suggestions on which one is the way to go?

As for my next question, I am looking for a good quality .22 or .17 rifle that is simple and reliable within the $100-$300 range. What would someone suggest for a novice shooter?

One last question... I don't want him to be frustraited hitting targets as far away as 100 yards. What barell length would be best suited to target shooting at 50 to 100 yards?
    Last edited by dragonofpa; January 24th, 2008 at 11:17 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Need some advice...

22 rimfire.. those 17 caliber shells are expensive.. they are generally more accurate - but 2-3 times the cost.

If he is gonna only target shoot, the Ruger 10/22 would be the thing to get for a rifle. You can trick them things out 6 ways from Sunday with all sorts of aftermarket stuff.

There was an article that showed that the 22rf starts losing speed in the barrel after so many inches. I think it was about 20 or so.. Most 22rf's are 18 to 22" inches, and anything in that range should be fine.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Snyder County)

I was going to suggest the 10/22 as well. Nice overall rifle to shoot and own.

(Warren County)

I don't want to get him anything overwhelmingly powerful so as not to deter him from shooting all-together.
    AR-15? Almost no recoil with the whole buffer spring assembly. Just some muzzle rise then right back on target.

Cant comment on the .22 rimfire since Ive never shot one but they are tiny right? I do remember thinking my father in laws .270 bolt action wasnt much bigger than the .223/5.56 m-16 I had been shooting for 4 years (bullet/case size) so the recoil should be about the same...man was I wrong.

Of course none of that matters since you had your mind made up on two calibers and a much lower price range. Again...
    Last edited by J8300; January 25th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    22 rimfire.. those 17 caliber shells are expensive.. they are generally more accurate - but 2-3 times the cost.

If he is gonna only target shoot, the Ruger 10/22 would be the thing to get for a rifle. You can trick them things out 6 ways from Sunday with all sorts of aftermarket stuff.

There was an article that showed that the 22rf starts losing speed in the barrel after so many inches. I think it was about 20 or so.. Most 22rf's are 18 to 22" inches, and anything in that range should be fine.
    Great advice.
    The Ruger 10/22 is accurate, affordable, dependable, easy to handle, and has more accessories available than you can shake a stick at.
    Get one for yourself too while you're at it.

(Lawrence County)

CZ 452 or 453. Triggers can be had down to under 2lbs for $14. Classic rifle designs.

And absolute tack drivers for the price. 5 shots at 50 yards.

Lycanwolfmtthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Anyone have knowledge of a cheap Ruger 10/22? I'm sold on getting one to go along with my 10k of 22LR ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhiaxus View Post
    Anyone have knowledge of a cheap Ruger 10/22? I'm sold on getting one to go along with my 10k of 22LR ammo.
    Not sure what you consider cheap, I was at Gander Mountain in York last week, I think they wanted either $169 or $189 for one, I can't remember, but definitely under $200.
    Recoil Happens

(Northumberland County)

you must missed the boat for cheap 10/22s... at christmas time Dick's sells them for 149.99 brand new. Look around, you can get them for about 175-195 otherwise. Just about every sporting goods store in America sells them, even Wally world!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    you must missed the boat for cheap 10/22s... at christmas time Dick's sells them for 149.99 brand new. Look around, you can get them for about 175-195 otherwise. Just about every sporting goods store in America sells them, even Wally world!
    Under $200 is cheap, and yes I missed the boat. I will take a look around to see where I can get a good price for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast