Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Picked Up The Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre (Problem Discovered)

I figured I'd beat the "black Friday" crowds, and do my shopping today. So, yes, I shopped for me, but that still counts, right?

Hopefully, I'll get to the range with it Friday, or over the weekend.

[EDIT: Read a few posts down for details of the problem experienced since first posting]
    Last edited by marks; November 24th, 2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Picked Up The Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre

45 or 357? Defiantly post a range report i'm kind of looking into one of these.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    45 or 357? Defiantly post a range report i'm kind of looking into one of these.
    Will do. I went with .357, because I didn't want to add another caliber to the mix, and because it's less expensive.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

I can provide a pre-range report. I discovered this while attempting to clean/lube it before it's first range trip, and I think I'll just head back to Tanner's with it on Friday/Saturday. Perhaps they can either send if off to Uberti for me, or work some other magic.

The cylinder pin cannot be removed (it's stuck). The instructions are pretty clear/simple, and I've watched a video of it done. Half cock, loading gate open, depress retaining screw, pull cylinder pin. Mine is incredibly difficult even to move from the inward most (safe) position, to the "second notch" (fire) position. But, beyond that, it won't move. I've read some posts associated with the same problem, and read the suggestions, but I'm not prepared to either:

Remove the hammer, and pound it out from the rear, or:
    Spend $27 for a cylinder pin pulling tool.

Anyway, off to a disappointing start.

(York County)

Default Re: Picked Up The Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre (Problem Discovered)

If what you described is what I think it is: Sounds like your cylinder pin is a tad tight. This is an easy fix. I have an Uberti that was like this at first. I simply polished the pin a bit with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper until it was all shiny and a pin now comes out pretty easy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    If what you described is what I think it is: Sounds like your cylinder pin is a tad tight. This is an easy fix. I have an Uberti that was like this at first. I simply polished the pin a bit with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper until it was all shiny and a pin now comes out pretty easy.
    Thanks. Looks like either that, or using a cylinder pin removal tool (the first few times) will probably resolve it. Happy Thanksgiving!

(Cambria County)

I shot black powder out of Uberti's for 15 years in CAS. When the gun is really dirty the base pin is hard to remove. Yours probably has oil that has dried out on it. Try some "GUNBLASTER" or an aerosol spray lube to free it up.
    Polishing the base pin is a very good tip.
    Last edited by Rodolfo Fierro; November 25th, 2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: tip

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    I shot black powder out of Uberti's for 15 years in CAS. When the gun is really dirty the base pin is hard to remove. Yours probably has oil that has dried out on it. Try some "GUNBLASTER" or an aerosol spray lube to free it up.
    Polishing the base pin is a very good tip.
    The gun is brand new, and this is an out-of-the-box issue. Shame on me for not checking it in the store when I picked it up. But, being new to SA revolvers, I may not have thought to try to yank the pin out anyway. In any case, I tried Break-Free, but to no avail. Dropped the gun at Tanner's today, and they are sending it to Uberti. I was told that they'd seen one other such case. On that gun, they tapped the pin out from the hammer end, but found it to be bent. So, they figured it best to send it back. A bit disappointing, as I was hoping a swap could somehow be arranged, but I was told that couldn't be done.

(Berks County)

Marks,

I know you have written the gun is off to the maker for repair - but I would have ignored the problem for the nearterm. That pin needs to be tight. If it comes right out, that suggests the gun (pin) has lots of use. I suspect the SAA makers have these leave the factory tight knowing they will wear in.

Ray

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
    Marks,

I know you have written the gun is off to the maker for repair - but I would have ignored the problem for the nearterm. That pin needs to be tight. If it comes right out, that suggests the gun (pin) has lots of use. I suspect the SAA makers have these leave the factory tight knowing they will wear in.

Ray
    That makes sense, and I agree that it should be tight. But, while in the shop today, I tried the pin on another Hombre that was in the display case. While still very snug, I was able to pull it out on one attempt. Would mine have "worked it's way loose" (or looser) after a few outings at the range? Very possibly so. Or, maybe not. So, yes, I suppose I may have jumped the gun a bit, but it just didn't seem right to me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast