Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kel Tec PF9 general consensus

As we all know, Kel Tec is synonymous with sub par and cheap firearms. Although, of late Kel Tec seems to be stepping up their game, with the release of weapons like the KSG and RFB. Recently, the PF9 has caught my eye as a cheap carry gun. However, I have my concerns. For instance, is it a monster of a trigger pull, are their feeding issues or is it too light to the point where it is too hard to shoot accurately?

I am a Glock kinda guy and not really a fan of 9mm, but I am seriously considering picking up one of these, because of the price, the size and it looks cool.

So, I would like to know if anyone out there owns one and what they think about it. I would really like to shoot one before I buy it but i'm not sure if thats going happen.

Anyone who can offer some expertise on this weapon please do so. like I said I'm mostly concerned with the trigger pull and feeding reliability .

V/R,

BV
    Swear to god I'd never shoot, unless I'm shootin' to kill

(Berks County)

Default Re: Kel Tec PF9 general consensus

Trigger pull is longer then usual but not bad. I have guns from HK to well my cheapest the pf9. I carry it the most. The size is amazing. 7rd clip and I keep a spare mag in my pocket if carrying large amounts of money, or shady areas without notice. Prob put 200 rounds through mine without an issue with standard fmj rounds. Carry +p gold dots. Shot about 10 of these. More then accurate enough. Plenty of snap though. Not recommended to shoot too many +p rounds. I love in berks county near fleetwood or you could meet me at my parents near the lancaster lebanon line in denver pa if you wanted to shoot mine, just bring ammo. not sure how far away you are.

Art

Thank you for the offer sir. i live in DC but i'm from chester co so maybe when im home sometime i will message you and see if its okay to shoot.

so would you say to buy or not to buy?

THANK YOU!

(Lancaster County)

I do not own a PF9, but...
    A good friend carries a PF9, and he loves it.
    He brought it up for a range trip recently and I compared it with my other carry pistols (CZ 2075 RAMI, and Taurus 650CIA).
    Both the CZ and the Taurus have better fit and finnish, have better triggers, and are more accurate.
    That said, both cost more than the KelTec.
    The KelTec was thinner that either of my pistols, but I would say no easier to conceal (my opinion only) depending on method of carry.
    The thickness and low weight of the pistol definitely translate into a very snappy recoil.
    It was more than managable though.
    The sights were nice, and my buddy has never had a FTF/FTE or a jam.
    My take is that if I was looking for a decent and reliable carry gun and I was on a tight budget I would get the PF9.
    Hope that is useful to you.

I bought my PF9 a few months ago. It took about a hundred rounds to break in. I had two failure to feeds but has cleared up after a hundred. Long trigger pull but thats part of the safety. It took me a lot of practice to shoot it accurately. I really like mine. It is my favorite carry pistol. It feeds my federal hydro's with ease. Yes, a cheap budget gun that works. You can pm if you have any questions.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vin View Post
    As we all know, Kel Tec is synonymous with sub par and cheap firearms. ...
    You seem to "know" something *I* dont know, and Iactually own Keltec guns. Your base statement is incorrect, as you seem to have spelled "HiPoint" incorrectly.

Keltec makes a decent concealment firearm at a decent price point, their pistols are designed for customer service distance defense, not match accuracy or extreme conditions duty, and I've found they do the job admirably.

I have owned a P11 for 10 years or so, and its never had a failure of any kind past th first 50rds I shot thru it.. I think i had 2 stovepipes in the first box, buit frankly, I believe that was my fault for not holding tight enough. i have, maybe, 1Krds thru it at this time.. with small pocket autos like this I myself carry powRball ammo, but i've shot various hollowpoints(Win Silvertiops, Speer Gold Dots and Fed Hydrashoks) thru the P11 with no feeding issues at all.

I also have a Sub2000 that has several K rds thru it, also no issues... I also owned a SU16 that was flawless in operation, but I had too many ARs to keep it.

I myself found the PF9 to be very uncomfortable to hold on to(I shot my neighbors PF9), as it is too narrow and thin for my hands, and under recoil has a tendency to twist in my hand... whereas the thicker P11 double stack grip is much easier to control.

yes, it has a long, fairly crappy trigger pull, but that can be overcome by practice, and feed issues can be fixed by switching ammo types/brands.. I've had quite a few High $ pistols that hated some HPs.

if I were you, see if you can shoot one before buying...especially, if you have large hands.
    Last edited by JayBell; November 21st, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

yeah i have large hands. my two current carry guns are G30 and G23. i just like to collect.

(Allegheny County)

I tolerate my PF9. For the size and price, I haven't found anything to take it's place. I tend to pocket carry unless I'm going into some really bad places, and due to it's size it makes an awesome pocket gun. I don't have any problems holding it in my average sized hands.

That said, I find it a tad uncomfortable to shoot. The grip seems made to tear up your hands after about 20 rounds. I can't shoot it accurately past about 3-5 yards but that's my fault for bumping the rear sight, though I doubt I'd have to use it past that range.

That's my take on it.

I got my PF9 a couple of years ago, mainly to have as an easy to carry gun at times I didn't want to bother with a full size gun.

I've probably put around 750 rounds through it since then. I have not had any issues with it, never bothered doing the famed "fluff and buff" since it hasn't acted up.

Trigger pull is long, but its right on par with just about any other tiny DAO semi-auto.

Shooting it, it has some recoil, but isn't as bad as people tend to make it out to be, however after a box of ammo, you hand will sting a little. I put a Houge rubber grip cover on mine and it's great to shoot now though.

I got the hard chromed slide since it was to be mainly a pocket gun, but I have since bought one of the discounted Crossbreed seconds minitucks for it now, and tend to carry it around most of the time just because its so slim.

I have no cause to worry about reliability so far as I've had no problems, and I guess since it has become more of a primary carry gun, I'd say I trust my life to it.

If I was in the market for another, I'd buy one without hesitation. Just look it over, work the slide, see if everything feels like it'll run smooth I guess would be my only advice.

(Chester County)

The only thing that's kept me from buying one already is how far forward in the trigger guard the trigger is. It's not easy or intuitive for me to get my sausage finger in there ahead of it. There's no way I could do it with gloves. I wish they'd admit that the rail is just for looks and enlarge the dang trigger guard. Some people online have heated up and straightened their triggers to get some more room, but I'm not sure that'd be enough to make it comfortable for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast