Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: appearances vary

Quote Originally Posted by ShaulWolf View Post
    I think it's less the person's clothing and more how they carry the gun and themselves for me. That tells me a little more about what they understand about firearms and what they're intentions may be more than their clothing.
    Same here. I don't care what they look like as long as they're acting like a responsible person.

But when it's me that's OC'ing, I know that not everyone else thinks like that. With my Vertx tactical pants that look like chinos, and a polo shirt, I'm more business casual than gangsta, so I've never had a problem with anyone judging by appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    how many of you would judge a person by appearance?, we all do, i damn sure do most of the time but is it right no its not.
    I disagree with your statement that it is 'not right' to judge a person by his appearance. IMO, that's a bunch of liberal Political Correctness doctrine designed to prevent us from judging them.

In the absence of behavioral observation, we have nothing but appearance to go by. So, you make a judgement based on appearance and then observe. The observed behavior will then either support the original judgement or not. Then, you modify your judgement based on behavior more so than appearance.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Jefferson County)

Behavior is what I go mostly on. Anyone I don't know is a potential goon in my eyes until proven otherwise.

Activities like wearing hoodies when it isn't even remotely cool is an indicator that the person wishes to conceal their identity for nefarious reasons.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post

how many of you would judge a person by appearance?, we all do, i damn sure do most of the time but is it right no its not.
    If I did, I would never set foot in WalMart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Longcall, does that approach then lead you miss things if the person doesn't hace an appearance that peaks your interest? If you observe behavior regardless of appearances you miss nothing.

(York County)

As long as he is not pointing his gun at me or my family, I could care less how he "looks". I care more about body language.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    Longcall, does that approach then lead you miss things if the person doesn't hace an appearance that peaks your interest? If you observe behavior regardless of appearances you miss nothing.
    Good question... but no, I don't think it means dismissing or disqualifying anyone based on appearance. To me, it just means that it is ok to draw an initial judgement based on appearance because there is no behavior to assess as yet.

For example, if 5 people were approaching I think it is fine to say these 2 appear to be a threat, these 2 don't and this one I'm unsure. I'd then continue to observe all, not just those who previously appeared to be the threat, and reevaluate all as behavior is displayed over time.

I think that it can be a mistake to ignore appearance in the name of Politically Correctness (that's the entire point I was trying to make). In the end, there is no doubt that behavior is a far more reliable factor, but initially, all you have is appearance to go on.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Carbon County)

here is a video that is a good example of a test done on appearance...
    http://www.theinspiration.com/2011/0...unt-in-cinema/

(Blair County)

Id be observing the goth....In case he has any female friends with him...love that look on a girl

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    I think that it can be a mistake to ignore appearance in the name of Politically Correctness (that's the entire point I was trying to make). In the end, there is no doubt that behavior is a far more reliable factor, but initially, all you have is appearance to go on.
    It's a shame that you even need to say that, but liberalism is all about denying common sense. With no behavior to go on, which one of these guys is more likely to be a threat with a box cutter in his hand? Nothing against Mexicans or people with tattoos, but I'd sure as hell be paying more attention to #2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast