Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Tokarev Conversion Barrel kit for 9mm/Super 38 1911's.

So I was browsing J&G's website looking for ammo and I ran across this neat barrel kit for 9mm/38 Super 1911's that converts them into firing 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo, I love this idea as it opens up a whole new class of pistols to firing this potent little round. Plus they make hi-cap 9mm/Super 38 mags for the M1911's that are cheaper than mags for say the Yugo M57. Imagine 10 to 12 even 15 rounds of armor defeating Tok ammo in a 1911? Awesome. My only concern is the magazine capacity as seen here:

Quote Originally Posted by J&G Sales
    The requirements for the conversion are as follows: Your 9mm or 38Super Government model 1911 must have a non-ramped frame (such as Colt, Rock Island, Taurus) and also requires the use of a 38Super magazine, which will accept 4-8 rounds of surplus or commercial ammunition.
    Holding between 4-8 rounds makes a big difference, if certain 1911's only holds 4 rounds of 7.62 Tok that would make this barrel kit a big waste of money. Read the reviews they're mixed. It seems some folks with the Taurus PT only got as few as 2 rounds into the magazine. Still this kit seems to be new and only a few got the kit yet, half of the reviewers seem to love it. Hopefully in time people will have full reviews on this kit and will tell us the ideal M1911 to buy that can reliably hold 8 rounds. So do you guys have any thoughts or experiences with this upgrade? Here is the link:

http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x25-tokar...s.-p-5619.html
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Default Re: Tokarev Conversion Barrel kit for 9mm/Super 38 1911's.

38 super is a interesting load it's like "the 357 sig before the 357 sig". Never caught on with the civilian defense corp. But its really popular with the Pro & semi Pro competitors I think its still has major level power. That would be a good barrel for a 9mm to upgrade from.

(Pike County)

I have been Googling around the internet trying to learn more and it seems like this conversion kit might not be as simple as a drop in, still trying to get to the bottom of the capacity question....

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    38 super is a interesting load it's like "the 357 sig before the 357 sig". Never caught on with the civilian defense corp. But its really popular with the Pro & semi Pro competitors I think its still has major level power. That would be a good barrel for a 9mm to upgrade from.
    It's an interesting round but it is a hard to find and expensive, plus the Tok round has the capability of defeating armor which is sweet since it's generally a cheap round.

(Northampton County)

The 1911 in 7.62 x 25 mm is very interesting , I enjoy shooting a yugo Tok and the CZ 52 in that caliber. I went to J&G's site and took a look at the kit,then I clicked on the Gunsmith's Blog They had a segment there devoted to the the kit. This is the second run of this barrel with some changes to take care of issues that they found with the original setup. The mags shown on the blog segment only hold six rounds. I don't know if they have been able to increase capacity. I am currently waiting for a 1911 kit in 357 sig from Fusion firearms , I will be doing a start to finish pictorial in the Gun Pictures forum with the final product in cerakote. I will continue to follow this thread a 1911 in 7.62x25 is an interesting pistol.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    The 1911 in 7.62 x 25 mm is very interesting , I enjoy shooting a yugo Tok and the CZ 52 in that caliber. I went to J&G's site and took a look at the kit,then I clicked on the Gunsmith's Blog They had a segment there devoted to the the kit. This is the second run of this barrel with some changes to take care of issues that they found with the original setup. The mags shown on the blog segment only hold six rounds. I don't know if they have been able to increase capacity. I am currently waiting for a 1911 kit in 357 sig from Fusion firearms , I will be doing a start to finish pictorial in the Gun Pictures forum with the final product in cerakote. I will continue to follow this thread a 1911 in 7.62x25 is an interesting pistol.
    I missed the Gunsmith's Blog, I will have to look it up. In the build did they use a .38 Super or 9mm 1911 though? It seems from what I have read the .38 Super 1911's are a better fit for this conversion. I won't consider this conversion until they can fit a solid 8 rounds in the magazine.

(Northampton County)

I believe it was 38 super mags now if round capacity can be increased to 8 to ten rounds this would be an interesting pistol . I have an account with J&G's I think i will call them and discuss this further. Rock Islands are cheap and would provide an excellent base on which to build one. 6 round only pistol would be a definite negative as to why I would not consider building one. If a 8 to ten round capacity could be accomplished I would love to have a 1911 in 7.62x25mm, it would be a fun platform with decent capablities.

(Pike County)

I believe it was 38 super mags now if round capacity can be increased to 8 to ten rounds this would be an interesting pistol . I have an account with J&G's I think i will call them and discuss this further. Rock Islands are cheap and would provide an excellent base on which to build one. 6 round only pistol would be a definite negative as to why I would not consider building one. If a 8 to ten round capacity could be accomplished I would love to have a 1911 in 7.62x25mm, it would be a fun platform with decent capablities.
    That's what I was thinking, the RIA .38 Supers go for between $350-$400 on average. With the price of this kit you can have a sweet shooting 7.62x25 pistol for under $600. Please, when you get a response from J&G please share it here. Thanks.

(Northampton County)

I just got off the phone with J&G's and I stand corrected If you use a rock Island 38 super or 9mm the mag capacity will be the same . If your mag capacity is 8 rounds or 9 rounds you will still have the same capacity definitely makes this a project that's in the 650 to 750 range with pistol and barrel kit. depending on what base model rock island that you start with. I think that I will build one of these after the fusion build.

(Northampton County)

Okay I did some more research a rock island tact 8 1911Al FS 9 mm with a nine round capacity would run you about $455.00 plus tax and shipping. The tok barrel and bushing kit is another $189.00. I would say if one has never fitted a 1911 barrel than I would just let J&G's get the pistol and fit the barrel. Now you would have a pistol in 9mm and 7.62 tok. J&G's does have a gunsmithing Dept, let them do it and send you a pistol that is ready to go, the only thing that I would do with is cerakote it and add better grips. Now I have to call back and see how much they will charge to fit the barrel.

(Pike County)

I just got off the phone with J&G's and I stand corrected If you use a rock Island 38 super or 9mm the mag capacity will be the same . If your mag capacity is 8 rounds or 9 rounds you will still have the same capacity definitely makes this a project that's in the 650 to 750 range with pistol and barrel kit. depending on what base model rock island that you start with. I think that I will build one of these after the fusion build.
    Okay I did some more research a rock island tact 8 1911Al FS 9 mm with a nine round capacity would run you about $455.00 plus tax and shipping. The tok barrel and bushing kit is another $189.00. I would say if one has never fitted a 1911 barrel than I would just let J&G's get the pistol and fit the barrel. Now you would have a pistol in 9mm and 7.62 tok. J&G's does have a gunsmithing Dept, let them do it and send you a pistol that is ready to go, the only thing that I would do with is cerakote it and add better grips. Now I have to call back and see how much they will charge to fit the barrel.
    This is exciting, I am glad we can get full capacity on these things using the Tok round. I assume a high capacity 1911 magazine would probably work on a Tok build too? I didn't know J&G would install the barrel and that's what I would do since I probably don't have the skill to do it myself. Wonder how much the gunsmith service cost? Keep us informed when you start your build.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; November 18th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast