Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default OCing at Yellowstone....

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience OCing in any of the national parks out west.

I am planning a trip through the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier and was planning on picking up a magnum caliber revolver as insurance against a wildlife attack. I do a lot of professional photography and have sometimes gotten fairly close opportunities which sometime scare you. Plus I do some hiking which gets you away from people quickly out there. I know a lot of people say it is unlikely but I have already been growled at by a wolf and feel really vulnerable when you are on a trail where you and your wife are totally alone with no firearm. Spray is good but bullets are a good last resort.

My plan was to OC which I understand is allowed except in designated federal buildings, stores, etc. I hope I am not hassled. I understand PA has reciprocity with Wyoming, Montana and Idaho so if I conceal I should be OK.

My question also revolves around a gun suggestion. I was thinking either a Redhawk 44 mag 4" bbl, an Alaskan 454 Casull or a S&W 500 mag 4" bbl.

Any opinions from those who maybe have been in that situation?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: OCing at Yellowstone....

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    My question also revolves around a gun suggestion. I was thinking either a Redhawk 44 mag 4" bbl, an Alaskan 454 Casull or a S&W 500 mag 4" bbl.
    If you have the option, pick the one you're most comfortable with both carrying and using.

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post

Any opinions from those who maybe have been in that situation?
    Can't claim to have been in that situation, but if I were lugging a lot of photographic gear around, the last thing I'd want is a heavy sidearm that would, most likely, never be used, also weighing me down. If I were in your situation, I'd opt for a S&W 329PD in the 4" barrel. .44 Magnum goodness without a huge weight penalty. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lackawanna County)

Would you consider a shotgun? I don't know if I'd want to rely on a handgun for a grizzly bear.

(York County)

I did almost the exact same trip this summer, grand tetons, then Yellowstone, then up to Glacier National Park. I don't have experience with OCing there because I was with family and they were against me carrying, but that's a different story.

It was really just recently this year that people were allowed to start carrying in the National Parks, so you might find some people, LEO included, that might be behind the times. I think other than that you will probably get the people around you that aren't used to seeing someone with a gun, and get their wide-eyed looks. If you haven't been to the parks before you'll know where the sightings are if you are on the main roads b/c there will be cars pulled over for a 1/2 mile in either direction.

If you are staying mostly on trails, then I think you might get a faint glance from a passerby but other than that left alone. As for the gun, I agree that carrying ar large .44 could be quite cumbersome. I was going to carry a .357 snub nose with me, because of easily concealed and still packs enough punch to let the bears and moose know you're there and mean business.

Good luck and enjoy your trip, I have about 1500 pics I took while out there.

(Luzerne County)

DROB,
    It truly is an awesome experience. This will be my third trip to these parks except for Glacier this is my first time there. I have had two close calls in my two trips there and one was because of the stupidity of someone else (never approach a bison from behind). I also came across a cat as well. I was on a trail and heard something above us on a ledge and sure as hell we were being watched as we walked along a stream. We were able to high tail it back down the trail and had no real altercation. I also got approached by a wolf pack at one point and was encouraged by one of them to take shelter in my truck. During September when a lot of the animals are in the rut you really need to worry about minimum distance from your perspective because a lot of the animals approach you instead of the other way around. They don't know the minimum distance rule. Some are curious and some are posturing. My last trip I spoke to a person on the flight who had their Suburban totaled by a bison who charged from the woods off the side of the road and t-boned them. The who group got flown to different hospitals for a few days. Massive, amazing examples of raw nature. I never experienced anything that extreme.

I currently have an SP101 and a .45ACP but after seeing the grizzlies and cats out there and talking to some natives I don't feel that would be enough gun if my life depended on it. I like the S&W ultralight for carrying but many folks advised against it because it really isn't designed for heavy loads or for any repetitive shooting over years time. This is why I was looking at the Rugers, I could load Buffalo Boar ammo and not worry.

So far spray has been great but I figured since I am going and since it is now legal to carry I thought why not add some insurance and comfort level.

I will try to attach a couple images.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brudog; November 18th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Can't claim to have been in that situation, but if I were lugging a lot of photographic gear around, the last thing I'd want is a heavy sidearm that would, most likely, never be used, also weighing me down. If I were in your situation, I'd opt for a S&W 329PD in the 4" barrel. .44 Magnum goodness without a huge weight penalty. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Weight is a concern as well as my ability to accurately fire repeatably if SHTF. The larger calibers in small form are tough. Most guides advised to go with a minimum of 44 mag with hot loads or a 454 casull. The 500 mag is just too much for me even with porting. Plus I want to be able to use, carry and feed this thing when I get back for other uses so feeding cost after the fact is also a concern. The 454 allows you to load 45 LC as well which is nice.

Unfortunately my holster will need to be a good one because the gun will be on and off if I go into any federal buildings and quality leather should help with the felt weight.

The 329PD with the 4" barrel would seem ideal. You are right in that recovery time, shot to shot, might be a tad slower due to recoil, but I don't think there are any strength issues. The titanium cylinder is stronger than than a like-dimensioned steel one, which is why you see S&W use them on their J-Frame .357's and their limited run 6-shot l-frame .40 S&W. Flame cutting can be a concern with the scandium frame, but S&W uses a small metal shield in the critical area.

As for continued use upon your return, except for hunting, I see no use to run magnum ammunition through it and this would be a sweetheart using .44 Spl ammo. The only thing I'd change would be the Ahrend grips. It would get a set of rubber Hogues real quick.

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, have a great trip.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

That Wolf is beautiful.

(Montgomery County)

I took my family on a two-week road trip last summer that included Grand Teton and Yellowstone. For protection, I took along my S&W 629 Classic, because it was the most powerful handgun I owned, and I am reasonably comfortable and adept at shooting it (although I'm sure my accuracy would have gone to crap if I was attacked by a grizzly). When hiking I also carried a can of UDP bear spray. I did not OC the S&W; it was under light cover most of the time (a light jacket or sweatshirt; even though it was summer time it was cool up in the mountains where we did most of our hikes). I'm sure it would have been noticeable to an observant person even under light cover; it's not a small gun. Didn't run into any problems, but then again, we hardly saw any people at all once we got more than 5 minutes off a trailhead, even on popular trails like to the fire tower on Mt. Washburn in Yellowstone, or to Jenny Lake in Grand Teton.

It was an awesome trip -- Brudog, your pix are great. Don't mean to hijack your thread but hope you don't mind me sharing a few of my own:

First the protection:

And some of the wildlife we saw:

There was a wolf or three chasing this herd below; but I couldn't get a good shot of the wolves:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast