Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default winter gloves for 8hr class

Gonna be taking a 8hr class in January, outdoors, avg temp, is around 33degree. this will be an AR class, anyone got suggestion on what glove to use use.
    last year i took a pistol class in march, rainy (not pouring) and it was probably about 45deg. I was using http://www.kellac.com/h/5.11-Tac-AK-Glove.html and my finger got pretty cold and wet.

expecting the grounds will be snow covered.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: winter gloves for 8hr class

I did an all day class a few weeks ago. It was chilly but not too bad. I didn't want gloves that were too thick screwing with my dexterity so I went with these Hatch All-Weather Duty Gloves. They're leather and neoprene combo. More than adequate to keep wind and water off your hands. Not sure how they'd perform in low temps. Sixteen bucks at amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hatch-Speciali...d=GCX7DJ93SIXV

Thin weather resistant gloves like the ones posted above are about as good as it gets. I have several different pairs from different manufacturers and non are significantly better than the others. Just try a bunch on at your local sporting goods store.

There is no completely waterproof glove that I know of that is thin enough to easily load mags and for manipulating small controls. Rubber gloves over a glove liner will also make do, but you will sweat.

If it is raining and cold and you want to stay somewhat dry, your best bet is to buy multiple pairs of water resistant ones and change them after they soak through through.

(Centre County)

I've had good luck with Ironclad cold condition gloves while doing EMS outdoors in the winter at night, they have kept my hands decently warm and allowed my hands to keep dexterity at a maximum so I can still start IV's when I get back in the warm ambulance. The ones I have do not have a liner though and it appears all the new models do have a liner or sorts and have not got the best reviews.

John doe's got the right idea though, multipule pairs and change them out when you need to. Also I might suggest if you can between drills or when you are on a break to wear some mittens to get your hands warmer, maybe throw a hand warmer in there to help in warming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Erie County)

Problem is, what is your comfort zone for the gear you will be using. I've fly
    fished with fingerless woolies, in icy streams, was comfortable, but I built up to that tolerance.

Remember, it's not whether you are cold, it's whether you are comfortable while being cold, with the equipment that allows you to do the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(McKean County)

Whatever you get, try them out before the class. Last winter I found that my regular winter gloves that I wore everywhere for years were no good when shooting my then-new 642. The material was thick enough that the trigger didn't have enough travel to reset.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

thanks for the advice gonna bring a few pairs with me.

(Armstrong County)

You could try a pair of nomex flight gloves. They tend to keep my fingers warm even when wet, and even come in all of the "tacticool" colors....and are thin enough to be useful for operator scenarios. Cheap enough, too.

(Bucks County)

I used to use a pair of leather driving gloves when I qualified in the winter. We had to qualify four times a year so usually twice a year we were in cold temps. I was able to load magazines; draw and fire using these gloves. We once qualified in a snow storm, so the gloves came in handy. (We had to borrow police or military ranges to qualify so it was very rare that a qualification would be cancelled.)

I will add that any thin glove works, but leather is often better.

Last event I went to in freezing rain I used 2 old pairs of batting gloves (very good for shooting), a pair of glove liners with the fingers wore off as well as a newer pair of thin neoprene style fabric.