Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 27-6

Default S&W 27-6

I have the opportunity to purchase a 27-6 from a coworker. I have no idea to the value. Can somebody give me some advice regarding the value assuming good-very good condition? Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: S&W 27-6

Why is he selling it? Some people thinks they are the best revolver Smith ever makes.

Seen them going for between $500-$800 depending on condition and wether or not it comes with the original papers and box.

How much is he asking? Theyre very nice guns.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Depending on grips, barrel length, and so on, I've seen prices from $400 to $700, frequently and lately.

Condition, as you mentioned, is usually the key to the price. Does it come with original box? Screwdriver? Cleaning Rod? Are they still packaged in the original wrapping? Original warranty card? All those make for a better price, too.

Does it have any "documentation"? Is it "lettered"? There is a whole raft of information on pricing at :
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/
    that is worth your reading to answer those questions.

That forum is populated by a lot of highly knowledgeable and very sharp individuals, and (like THIS forum and many others) there are a few BS-ers who can lay it on thick and heavy and make it look (at least at first glance) like they really know their (bull)sh**.

CAVEAT EMPTOR ! Just be an educated buyer, or have a trusted and informed friend at your elbow.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

It has a 6 inch barrel. It appears as though it has the original Hogue grips, but I'm not sure about the original box. Once I see the gun in person I'll have a little better understanding of its condition. The picture he supplied is not very clear and I can't tell if the picture is showing reflections or wear on the finish.

I do have a thread open on smith-wessonforum.com, but haven't really had much in the way of responses and I'm just trying to become as educated as I can. I certainly don't need this gun, but if a deal is right, I'll buy just about any gun (within reason).

Assuming no original box and minimal holster wear, the value could be somewhere approaching $500?

(Delaware County)

As prices are today, $500 for a tight N frame with some holster wear is very reasonable.

Thanks for the replies guys. The information is very helpful. Sounds like I can't go wrong at $350.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr View Post
    It appears as though it has the original Hogue grips,
    I might be wrong, but a Model 27 might have the S&W large "target stocks" but not Hogue!

But even so you'd have a fine revolver if all else is in acceptable mechanical condition. Timing, end-shake, cylinder gap all within standards and a relative bargain at $350.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clearfield County)

Good Gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I might be wrong, but a Model 27 might have the S&W large "target stocks" but not Hogue!

But even so you'd have a fine revolver if all else is in acceptable mechanical condition. Timing, end-shake, cylinder gap all within standards and a relative bargain at $350.
    Upon all the reading I've done, the 27-6 is equipped with Hogue grips that bear the S&W emblem.

I purchased the revolver. It has no end shake, the timing is perfect, the cylinder gap is perfect and the lock up is tight. There is a some bluing wear on the edges of the fluting on the cylinder as well as near the end of the barrel (typical revolver holster wear). I feel I did great at $350. I just got it cleaned and oiled up. Now I need to get some ammo.

(Susquehanna County)

I'm glad I was wrong about the stocks. Personally, I have never seen a M27 with anything except S&W stocks. But then I haven't seen them all.

Congratulations on an excellent purchase! I hope you have many years of excellent service from it.

I just wish I would hear about deals like this a little closer to home!
    Last edited by Brick; November 16th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast