Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Dry Fire Practice Discussion

Thanks for the response! I'll start mixing it up.

As for the creative visualization I take it a step further by working up an adrenaline dump. Accuracy and draw speeds decrease and you get a better representation of what you'll be dealing with. Plus it's a great way to find flaws in my training (for example potential snags WILL happen and bad trigger control habits creep back up).

Oh and I love my P40. Dirt simple and easy to carry, not to mention it's got a nasty bite to go with the bark.
    I seem to have this thing for recoil, might explain the P40 in my pocket.

Your subconscious really doesn't know the difference between real and imagined threats. Visualization can certainly result in a sympathetic response

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    As to that issue...this is another reason why i brought up creative visualization. If you put yourself mentally in a deadly force scenario, you are conditioning your mind to pull the trigger in response to a threat, as opposed to conditioning it to pull the trigger as a step in the drawstroke.

Practice both as well. Sometimes i practice prepping the trigger through extension, sometime I'm indexed high and away and will come to full extension first. All depends on what I'm playing out in my head
    I like that a lot. I've noticed I've done just that every time I dry fire. The situation may change once the pistol is out, and you may instinctively pull the trigger. I'd never considered that. Thanks for the tip!
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Allegheny County)

Your subconscious really doesn't know the difference between real and imagined threats. Visualization can certainly result in a sympathetic response
    As to that issue...this is another reason why i brought up creative visualization. If you put yourself mentally in a deadly force scenario, you are conditioning your mind to pull the trigger in response to a threat, as opposed to conditioning it to pull the trigger as a step in the drawstroke.

Practice both as well. Sometimes i practice prepping the trigger through extension, sometime I'm indexed high and away and will come to full extension first. All depends on what I'm playing out in my head
    110% this. Remember when you were a kid playing "guns" with your friends? You used to get all excited, worked up, and nervous even though you knew the guns were toys and nobody was gonna die (at east I always did). Same thing with dry fire, just use your imagination to the point that it gets you all keyed up and watch the results. Like Vicious said, the mind doesn't know the difference between real and imagined threats. If you convince yourself that you are being threatened, your body will react accordingly.

(Allegheny County)

There's some great stuff on visualization from JD
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...ead.php?t=1710

(Chester County)

Thanks for the info. Would explain why my hands shake so bad! That was the first thing I had to get under control. It would also explain that sinking feeling when I'm just thinking about scenarios.

Shawn.L thanks for the link! That was a great read.
    I seem to have this thing for recoil, might explain the P40 in my pocket.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456