Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Default CZ-75B case ejections

Forgive the double-dipping for anyone who might also be on czforum. I didn't get any bites there.

I got a CZ-75B a few weeks ago and have taken it to the range a couple of times now. I love it. One minor thing that's odd about this gun is that the cases seem to eject unpredictably. Sometimes they'll eject a few feet off to the right, but other times (at least half the time), they eject straight back toward me, mostly bouncing off the brim of my hat. I wasn't bothered by it until a hot casing went down my shirt today.

Have others experienced this? Is this typical? Anything I can do about it?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: CZ-75B case ejections

Both of mine (85B & 75B semi-compact) eject pretty consistently, except for the last round, which usually comes straight back. I surmise that that is because there is not another round in the magazine pushing up as the case is ejected. Doesn't really matter to me, since I love both pistols.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Overscore View Post
    Forgive the double-dipping for anyone who might also be on czforum. I didn't get any bites there.

I got a CZ-75B a few weeks ago and have taken it to the range a couple of times now. I love it. One minor thing that's odd about this gun is that the cases seem to eject unpredictably. Sometimes they'll eject a few feet off to the right, but other times (at least half the time), they eject straight back toward me, mostly bouncing off the brim of my hat. I wasn't bothered by it until a hot casing went down my shirt today.

Have others experienced this? Is this typical? Anything I can do about it?
    It is a military weapon that were designed to take care of business, suck it up and move on, no problems there.
    If you ever have to use that weapon (and it is a weapon, not a toy) to defend yourself a hot shell down your shirt will be the least of your problems.

On a technical note take a look at the tip of your ejector and see if it is chipped, if it is chipped it will cause that "problem" also the weight of the empty shells affects the equilibrium in that equasion, that is why Col. Cooper advised against Aluminum case rounds for defensive carry.

What ammo were you using?

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: CZ-75B case ejections

direction of cases being thrown can be influenced by brand, load, shooting technique, last round you get the idea now i,m sure. as already stated check the end of your ejector for damage. if damaged( chipped, rough, ect.) you can dress it up with a file or dremel. you can also alter the direction of throw by this method as well. this is better done by someone familiar with the process. some ejectors are a pain in the ass to replace if you mess it up. i do not know your abilities or fear factor doing this kind of work but it can be done.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    It is a military weapon that were designed to take care of business, suck it up and move on, no problems there.
    If you ever have to use that weapon (and it is a weapon, not a toy) to defend yourself a hot shell down your shirt will be the least of your problems.
    I'll keep this in mind when I find myself in the middle of a war. Until then, I'll continue to look for a way to not have cases fly into my ears, neck, and chest.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    direction of cases being thrown can be influenced by brand, load, shooting technique, last round you get the idea now i,m sure. as already stated check the end of your ejector for damage. if damaged( chipped, rough, ect.) you can dress it up with a file or dremel. you can also alter the direction of throw by this method as well. this is better done by someone familiar with the process. some ejectors are a pain in the ass to replace if you mess it up. i do not know your abilities or fear factor doing this kind of work but it can be done.
    Thanks. If there's something obvious, I wouldn't hesitate to take a dremel to it. If not, I'd outsource the task. Thanks for the starting point.

I've not had that trouble with my CZ but did have it on a S&W. It was a case of needing to clean the ejector. The ejector had a little bit of crud on the bottom of the lip and sometimes the case would do strange things. Once I chipped it off I never had any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Yep. Try WWB with a super stiff wrist when you shoot. If some hit you and some hit your neighbor, you can rule out the ammo. This is not saying you are limp wristing, it is just a troubleshooting method. If all of them come back at you, then you can probably get the ejector adjusted.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Follow some of the suggestion listed above but also give it some time.

I had a guy that had a new CZ75SP01 and when he fired it the shells would eject back and hit him in the head (WWB). I shot it and it did the same thing to me. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary so I called the tech guys at CZ. The first thing they asked was how mant rounds have been put through it. They said that until it has a couple hundred fired, which exercises the recoil spring, it could have erratic ejections. Once the recoil spring is loosened up a bit from firing it should settle in. And it did. I made a swap with the guy because he had to move back with his parents in MA (for medical reasons) and he couldn't take it with him. I own it know and it shoots and ejects perfectly. Love the gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Follow some of the suggestion listed above but also give it some time.

I had a guy that had a new CZ75SP01 and when he fired it the shells would eject back and hit him in the head (WWB). I shot it and it did the same thing to me. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary so I called the tech guys at CZ. The first thing they asked was how mant rounds have been put through it. They said that until it has a couple hundred fired, which exercises the recoil spring, it could have erratic ejections. Once the recoil spring is loosened up a bit from firing it should settle in. And it did. I made a swap with the guy because he had to move back with his parents in MA (for medical reasons) and he couldn't take it with him. I own it know and it shoots and ejects perfectly. Love the gun.
    Good point. A stiff recoil spring can keep them from being spit where they are supposed to. My PT 1911 9mm did the same thing for a while.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast