Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SIG P238 and MRI Micro Eagle

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, even though I joined some time ago. I left the Marine Corps in September and am now living back home in Trenton, NJ. I routinely carry in PA, so I figured I'd join. Some other random facets of my life: I'm huge into scuba, specifically cave diving/wreck diving, am working on a masters degree, started shooting at age 6 by hunting my first quail(I grew up in the south jersey pine barrens), and am looking to go into federal law enforcement as a special agent/criminal investigator. Currently I most often carry my HK P2000 in a CCC Looper AIWB holster, have owned/traded more guns than I can remember. I recently moved up from Virginia, so it was pretty awesome to be able to trade FTF as much as I wanted. I've got a thing for C&R as well, and really enjoy long range rifle work but haven't done it in a few years on my own time. So, hi!

I'm currently considering to purchase either a SIG P238 or MRI Micro Eagle as a pocket gun/ankle gun. I'm really not interested in the other options out there, and have tried or owned most of them by now. I was wondering if anyone in the Philly/Bucks county area has either of these that they'd be willing to let me shoot. I'll pay for my own ammo and buy you a burger at Five guys or something in exchange, too. I'm a member at Classic Pistol, but wouldn't mind paying my way at another range if that suits you better.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
    Tyler

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: SIG P238 and MRI Micro Eagle

I'm confused. You routinely carry in PA? I assume you have a non-resident permit of some sort from a reciprocal state?

Just making sure you're not one of these folks who's jumping the border to open carry...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I'm confused. You routinely carry in PA? I assume you have a non-resident permit of some sort from a reciprocal state?

Just making sure you're not one of these folks who's jumping the border to open carry...
    I'm sorry, did I offend you somehow? I don't know how this is the least bit confusing....especially when I listed what holster I'm wearing, which is meant to be worn concealed.

For the record, YES, I have a concealed handgun permit. I don't understand how that is confusing, or even any of your business. Is that okay with you? Would you like me to fax you a copy of that, my DD214, SF86 and drivers license to you to make sure I'm not "one of those people"?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm sorry, did I offend you somehow? I don't know how this is the least bit confusing....especially when I listed what holster I'm wearing, which is meant to be worn concealed.

For the record, YES, I have a concealed handgun permit. I don't understand how that is confusing, or even any of your business. Is that okay with you? Would you like me to fax you a copy of that, my DD214, SF86 and drivers license to you to make sure I'm not "one of those people"?
    There is a reason why rwb1500 brought it up.. FOPA doesn't protect you to transport the firearms to PA to merely carry them. You would still be in violation of NJ laws because of NJ's very limited reasons for transporting the firearm.

But back to the theme of the thread, I don't own either - but from holding both I'd pick the P238.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Well I am not down that way, but if you are ever up in the poconos you are welcome to try out my micro eagle.

I had a Colt mustang(pretty much the same gun as the p238). I liked it better for shooting, and it had a great trigger, but the micro eagle worked for my need as a pocket gun better.

The eagle has been reliable for me.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I really think the guy was looking out for your well being. That was my take on it. Perhaps you could seek out a range that may rent either of the pistols you are interested in if no one is willing to help you.
    Jules

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, even though I joined some time ago. I left the Marine Corps in September and am now living back home in Trenton, NJ. I routinely carry in PA, so I figured I'd join. Some other random facets of my life: I'm huge into scuba, specifically cave diving/wreck diving, am working on a masters degree, started shooting at age 6 by hunting my first quail(I grew up in the south jersey pine barrens), and am looking to go into federal law enforcement as a special agent/criminal investigator. Currently I most often carry my HK P2000 in a CCC Looper AIWB holster, have owned/traded more guns than I can remember. I recently moved up from Virginia, so it was pretty awesome to be able to trade FTF as much as I wanted. I've got a thing for C&R as well, and really enjoy long range rifle work but haven't done it in a few years on my own time. So, hi!

I'm currently considering to purchase either a SIG P238 or MRI Micro Eagle as a pocket gun/ankle gun. I'm really not interested in the other options out there, and have tried or owned most of them by now. I was wondering if anyone in the Philly/Bucks county area has either of these that they'd be willing to let me shoot. I'll pay for my own ammo and buy you a burger at Five guys or something in exchange, too. I'm a member at Classic Pistol, but wouldn't mind paying my way at another range if that suits you better.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
    Tyler
    Hey bro, good to see you aboard!

TGS is a good friend of mine, and a recently separated USMC 1st Lt.

About the legality of it:
    There's nothing illegal about driving to PA with my gun. I'm going directly from my residence across state lines without stopping in NJ. Unless my destination is in NJ, it doesn't need to be a destination as mandated by NJ law(gun store, smith, range, hunting, business or home) since NJ law does not have any bearing on my presence in PA.

If I sounded snippy, it's because I don't feel like I have to validate and explain myself to an internet personality who's judging me. Don't get the wrong idea that I'm a jerk, but if someone was legit looking out for me, they would have not referred to me as "one of those people" and would have instead sent a PM.

Thanks for the responses about the guns, guys. Jules, I've tried searching a little bit but haven't found one. I've never even seen a pocket gun for rent in any range I've been too, unfortunately. It'd certainly be awesome to be able to rent them.

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Well I am not down that way, but if you are ever up in the poconos you are welcome to try out my micro eagle.

I had a Colt mustang(pretty much the same gun as the p238). I liked it better for shooting, and it had a great trigger, but the micro eagle worked for my need as a pocket gun better.

The eagle has been reliable for me.
    Too bad you're not farther down around the Bethlehem area, which I do get to occasionally (although admittedly not much during the winter). Seems the Micro Eagles are pretty rare to come by, I'm surprised I even found you!

Thanks,
    Tyler
    Last edited by TGS; November 11th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

There is actually a lot of debate on this forum about exactly what protections are offered under the Federal transportation immunity laws, and about exactly where NJ's authority to dictate what you do or dont do with a gun ends.

TGS is a really good guy who is following the law as he understands it to be, so let's all keep that in mind here.

(Lancaster County)

I have no experience with the MRI Micro eagle aside from looking at it. It looks pretty cool, but I doubt it has the accuracy and shootability of the p238. I bought a p238 w/ the trigger guard laser and it is incredibly accurate for a pocket pistol, if you dont believe me check out youtube. Initially the gun had a few problems but they have been cleared up. Mine has been 100% from the start and I am starting to get near 1,000 rounds through it. If you can find one for under $500 w/ night sites thats a fair price in my opinion. I got mine for $500 OTD w/0 night sites but with the laser, and from the research I had done it seemed pretty fair to me.

In the end the p238 feels good in my hand, has a good SAO trigger, carries great in my pocket, and is accurate enough for me to confidently hit targets out to 25 yards. Either way the best gun in the one you can carry and both are a breeze to carry.