Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Making over an old rifle

I have 2 mosin nagants. One I would like to keep all original, and one I would like to turn into a PU sniper. Im not trying to make it look like some tacticool black looking piece of plastic. I want to turn it into a PU sniper. I realize that the scope and everything I will be using will be reproduction, I just can't trust any site when they say "All original WWII Mosin Nagant PU scope mount!!" because in reality its most likely fake. So I will go with a historically accurate reproduction mount and scope. Does anyone know of a good place to get these at a price that won't have me screaming? I also need a good gunsmith who can do the bent bolt for me. I don't want any of those crap kits where you drill and tap the bolt. That just looks like hell. I also don't want it bent in any weird direction like this http://www.rocksolidind.com/media/ca.../bolts_017.jpg

Just simple bent bolt, straight down, like it was back in the day. Does anyone know of a reputable gunsmith who will do the job for reasonable price?

Thanks for everyones input. This is going to be my winter project which I'm starting to save up for
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Erie County)

Default Re: Making over an old rifle

1. For the bent bolt go to Max_Shepherd
    ( http://www.maxshepherdboltproducts.com/ )

I got my bent bolt done by him and his work is by far the best I have ever seen. Also the turn around time was a week and a day compared to the Boltmans waiting period.

Now Max_Shepherd just had surgery and he might not be back in business till the new year. But drop him a line and see what he says.

2. Accumounts has reproduction mounts like the PE, PEM & PU.

Or...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=910189

That is a reproduction mount and scope, but it is just like the originals. However half to three quarters less the price of an original. You can find others on EBAY and scouring the internet.

(Monroe County)

Brian at Easton Firearms Refinishing (a member here) has done custom work on the Mosin. I have had him do some work on my pistols. He does an excellent job. http://www.eastonfirearmsrefinishing...t_russian_camo

Quote Originally Posted by elementfreak431 View Post
    I have 2 mosin nagants. One I would like to keep all original, and one I would like to turn into a PU sniper. Im not trying to make it look like some tacticool black looking piece of plastic. I want to turn it into a PU sniper. I realize that the scope and everything I will be using will be reproduction, I just can't trust any site when they say "All original WWII Mosin Nagant PU scope mount!!" because in reality its most likely fake. So I will go with a historically accurate reproduction mount and scope. Does anyone know of a good place to get these at a price that won't have me screaming? I also need a good gunsmith who can do the bent bolt for me. I don't want any of those crap kits where you drill and tap the bolt. That just looks like hell. I also don't want it bent in any weird direction like this http://www.rocksolidind.com/media/ca.../bolts_017.jpg

Just simple bent bolt, straight down, like it was back in the day. Does anyone know of a reputable gunsmith who will do the job for reasonable price?

Thanks for everyones input. This is going to be my winter project which I'm starting to save up for
    For the cost of the parts, you should be able to get the rifle you seek fully assembled.

The low quality examples were the first wave that came into the US a few years ago, they had non-ferrous mounts that sometimes broke even in shipment (details). The scoped 91/30s on the market now use original parts or at least the direct equivalent in terms of quality, fit & finish. The only non-original part is the scope. The scopes are frequently magnesium fluoride coated, meaning they are almost certainly post-war. Given that the 91/30 sniper variant was still in front line service until at least the early 1960s, it's very likely the later telescopic sights may have been magnesium fluoride coated from the factory.

Also note the Mosins were made in units of millions. Likewise the scopes and mounts would have been made in such large numbers that it wouldn't be profitable to copy something this proliferate. So, the distinction between original and reproduction may be somewhat blurred.

In my estimation, the weakest point in provenance is that they may be ordinary 91/30 rifles that have original scopes & mounts recently installed. If so, that's fine in my book provided the installation's done properly (my two were) and they aren't presented as W.W.II originals. The current market price is little more than the sum of the parts.

Tip: If you intend to mount it yourself, you'll need metric taps & dies. I recall the receiver's threaded 6mmx1.0 and also uses stud for alignment.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html