Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Thank you for election support

I'd congratulate you, but I've been told "Do NOT talk to the police!", so I don't know what to do...

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'd congratulate you, but I've been told "Do NOT talk to the police!", so I don't know what to do...

I'll tell you what to do, stop trying to be a shithead!
    (Notice I didn't actually call you a shithead, that should keep me from getting an infraction)
    The "Don't talk to police" mentality applies to legal situations involving you, your actions or the actions of your friends & family. In casual conversation it's OK to say "Hi", a friendly "How are you" might be acceptable too.

I'd also like to say thank you to the Sheriff for correcting the situation with a good and friendly exchange, we need more of your type.
    On another note, I want to say "Shame on you for 20 minutes" for putting the MPOETC in a "safe place" and then forgetting about it. Apparently you're more familiar with law and procedures than those who caused the guy in the other post to bring his experience to our attention, but a training document should be made immediately available, and mandatory material for all in your department.
    I'm trying not to be too critical here, I'm a foreman and I make mistakes too, everyone does. I try to learn from my mistakes and it sounds like you're the type of guy who would do the same. (That's why only 20 minutes for shame on you).
    Thank you for being one of the good ones in your profession.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Well, he's a sheriff, not a policeman... so go ahead and talk all you want

(Lycoming County)

Sheriff:

First, congratulations on your re-election.
    I know that time is a very difficult time.

Second, we all know the old saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it" but it can be frustrating to the law abiding if the Law Enforcement is not aware of the laws.

Third, I do not know how many different departments are in your county but maybe it would be a good idea to copy the brochure that smithwessn produced and mail them along with a letter to all the different agencies to explain these rules and strongly encourage individual department leadership to train their people on these laws.
    Have each department direct their officers to read and sign it and send it back to you.
    This way you know they are all aware of the law.

We can be punished for not knowing these laws, why not those that enforce it?

After all, "Ignorance of he law is no excuse for violating it (on the other side)!"

Just a few thoughts on how you could make life a lot easier for many - including yourself!

Oh yes - welcome to the forum!

Thanks.

God bless!!

PPP
    Last edited by Pistol Packin Preacher; November 11th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Bedford County)

First off I want to clarify as I told the gentleman. IT was on MY authorization to take the license. I believe I clarified that with the individual. Again my problem, MY FAULT, glitch fixed. The young man was very understanding and had a thoughtful conversation. I wanted that point clarified to everyone. Secondly being "high sheriff" is a joke in this state. At one time the sheriff was the law. Over the years appelate courts have ruled sheriffs (deputies) are not police in most cases. Over the years the Pa. Sheriff's Association backed legislation introduced by our state legislature to restore powers which failed to pass.It is a shame some of my deputies trying to support their families, work as police officers and then put on a star and then are not police. I go from Chief of Police with over 30 years experience to Sheriff and pooof!! Go figure. Thanks for the paperwork I was seeking.

(Bedford County)

Smile Re: Thank you for election support

Hey Reich'

I have just one thing to say............

CONGRATS!

I just saw the results yesterday. Can you say "landslide"?

I hope to come in to see you more in the coming 4 years!

Peace brother!

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Thank you for election support

CONGRATS. And please reconsider running again in the future as this state needs more Sheriffs like you. and I for one consider all Sheriffs & Deputies to be fellow LEOS. Same work, Same dangers so all should be the SAME....Jack

(Jefferson County)

Sheriff Reichelderfer,

Did you decide to start doing the 18 to <21 year old handgun transfers since FFL's cannot do them? Since they cannot perform the transfer, there is no loss of business on their part if you take up the work.

If you did, you'd probably be the only confirmed Sheriff that fully supports PA's law on that subject.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12