Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Subsonic .22 face off

The thread on backyard ranges got me wondering if I could go even quieter than the CCI subsonic HP’s I’ve been using. I went over to Midway and placed an order that made it to my door in record time (6 days before the quoted date). Sitting in front of me I have 500 rounds of .22 ammo, 3 different types.

Aguila Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 40 Grain Lead Round Nose

Muzzle Velocity:1025 fps
    Muzzle Energy:64 ft lbs

$2.79 / 50 ($0.055)

Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 60 Grain Lead Round Nose

Muzzle Velocity:950 fps
    Muzzle Energy:120 ft lbs

$3.99 / 50 ($0.080)

CCI Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 40 Grain Lead Hollow Point

Muzzle Velocity: 1050 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 98 ft-lbs

$6.89 / 100 ($0.068)

Naturally I have high hopes for the 60 grain Aguila, it’s so slow and heavy that it seems like the perfect round for on property hunting. The CCI has always been my go-to, and the Aquila 40 grain subsonic is slightly cheaper so I had to give it a try. I felt the best way to illustrate the differences in noise would be to record the first test fire of this ammo.

Using the built in microphone I set up the worst case situation for noise. The computer is approx 1 foot to the right of the muffle facing right at the blast. This test was conducted indoors with the target 50 yards away on my safe backstop. Using this ammo outside will likely yield quieter results.

The rifle I am using is a Stevens bolt action rifle, bull barrel, bolt action. It is by far the quietest unsuppressed .22 I have and is very heavy and accurate.

Each shot was fired one after the other in the following order:

• 1st shot: CCI subsonic HP
    • 2nd shot: Aguila 6o grain round
    • 3rd shot: Aguila 4o grain round
    • 4th shot: Remmington supersonic round (control)

Listen to the results here.

Without giving it away, I was slightly surprised at the differences. Keep in ind this was the first time I had heard the Aquila ammo ever.

What did you think?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Subsonic .22 face off

I think the groundhogs behind the office hate those 60gr jobs . MANY of them died last summer because of the holes that those bullets inflict.

Many of the the shots were 50 yards +. I sighted the rifle in at 100 yards, and clocked the bullet speed at 10 yards and again at 25 yards. Using the 2 velocity "markers", and the POI at 100 and 25, I was able to calculate muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, then used an on-line calculator to make a bullet trajectory chart. I ranged some land marks behind the office, then using my chart, adjusted my hold over/under as needed. The first shot of the season was about a 70 yard shot. The bugger was climbing over the rail road tracks - Dumped with 1 shot.

Most 22's don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize those 60gr jobs correctly, but sub sonic flight is totally different than super sonic flight. Even a sub sonic tumbler will print 1 MOA groups. They're key holes, but they get the job done.

Here's some info....
    http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/762ProjectRifle.html

Sub sonic ammo is way cool!
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

It sounded to me like the 40 grainers were the quietest. Because of the positioning of the microphone, the all sound fairly loud, but compared to the super sonic it was a heck of a difference. Thanks for this evaluation, I thought it was very information and neat.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    It sounded to me like the 40 grainers were the quietest. Because of the positioning of the microphone, the all sound fairly loud, but compared to the super sonic it was a heck of a difference. Thanks for this evaluation, I thought it was very information and neat.
    It's very close. The 40Gr was higher pitch and a little louder is you look at the levels, but it was a shorter bang. The 60 grain was very slightly quieter, and lower pitch but lasted a little longer. We're looking at 20ths of a second at this point but I am very comfortable using either for my plinking the CCI was completely overtaken.

(Jefferson County)

I use the 60gr Aquila's in my yard. Fairly reasonable for noise, but being a longer bullet at lower velocity they start to keyhole/tumble after 50yards. You need a faster twist rifling to shoot them as accurate as normal/hi-velocity 40gr long rifles.

One thing you do have to watch out for with the 60gr slugs, they have a pretty deep penetration.. Those 60gr slugs retain energy better than 40gr slugs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

sweet test dude. let me know next time you order and we'll go in on some sss ammo and some of those cobri's

(Delaware County)

Cool test. I use CCI .22 CB shorts and they don't make a sound!! There much quieter then all the ones you tested. They are quieter then my RWS pellet rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    Cool test. I use CCI .22 CB shorts and they don't make a sound!! There much quieter then all the ones you tested. They are quieter then my RWS pellet rifle.
    do shorts work in the .22 lr?

(Delaware County)

Yep, they work just fine.

(Delaware County)

You can get the CB caps in short or long. Give the Aguila Super Colibri's a try you will be impressed you don't hear a dam thing. There only about 575fps.