Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SW Butler Co. Area Ranges

Moved to the area a little over a year ago, and have been kicking around the idea of finally joining a near by club.

I did some searching here and found a few, but would like to ask for some opinions from members/past members...where would you recommend shooting?

I'm from a small town, so I don't need anything real fancy, just a good place to go shoot every so often. Maybe an indoor range for the really cold or rainy days would be good.

I found a couple close by ranges: Northside Sportsmens and Evans City Sportsmens.

I know we have a few memebers of NSSA here, as I found a few threads, but there seems to be little/no information on Evans City Sportsmens. Anyone a member there?

Basically just trying to see how much costs would be, what the facilities are like, what the people are like that use the local clubs, and anything else you could think of to help me make a decision. I have a friend that wants to join as well, so we can shoot together.

Thanks.

ETA: I shoot pistols, rifle, archery, pretty much everything. I'd like to get into skeet/trap some time too, just need to find a place.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: SW Butler Co. Area Ranges

Those clubs might as well be the NSA for all the info you can find on them. And what you do find is old, or claims they shut down, or gives you broken links. F-

I live in Cranberry and was looking for the same info for the last year or so. I ended up joining the Ambridge club after talking to a member here. The club is small and mostly social members drinking at the clubhouse, but they have a full range of facilities. Their (terrible) website is here: http://www.ambridgesportsmensclub.com/

ADSA has the following offerings:

- 100 yard rifle range (4 stations, targets at 50 and 100)
    - 50 yard pistol range (many stations, goofy days and hours, 25 yard backstop also)
    - skeet range
    - trap range
    - indoor pistol, 22 rifle, and archery range (goofy days and hours also, lead only)
    - trout lake (pay to keep trout, catch and release free)
    - dog training
    - clubhouse with cheap beer and drinks, and sometimes food

Misc info the above didn't cover... guests allowed on the rifle and pistol ranges but not during Nov and Dec iirc. That's to keep the lanes free for the deer hunters, which is about the only time that range gets used. They have a 6 round limit at the rifle range, supposedly to keep EBRs from chewing up the backstops. That is somewhat new. No restrictions on the pistol range though.

There are no weapons allowed in the clubhouse, which is pretty typical antigun nonsense for all of the gun clubs around here. If you are a chest thumping 2A / OC guy this isn't the club for you.

If you find any current info on those other clubs please share. There are quite a few PAFOAers from our area.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Allegheny County)

Is there any shooting between the ranges of 0-25 or 0-50, ie, 7 yards? Can you draw from a holster?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Butler County)

A decent local non fudd range would be awesome. I hate shooting at the Wexford game lands.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Is there any shooting between the ranges of 0-25 or 0-50, ie, 7 yards? Can you draw from a holster?
    Yes Im curious as well

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Ah, I think you are posing this to me? I haven't shot at the pistol range yet myself, as I have a place to shoot pistol on private property with only the people I bring along (which is so nice). But I did check it out. Take this as my opinion and not official, as I am not on the pistol committee... but I'm going to say "yes with conditions" to those. There was at least one moveable target stand at the range when I was there, suggesting that placing the target where you want it was kosher. As for holster work, there are no rules posted that I saw. As the range is never busy that I've seen, I would expect that if you went and had the range to yourself you would be fine with any reasonable practice you wanted. At the same time I suspect that if you were doing anything the unwashed would consider fancy/risky/etc, or even just something they didn't understand (think offhand holster draw drills, or one handed FTF clears) that would raise eyebrows and get back to the old dudes who make rules.

Not sure that was helpful. The sad truth is, if you tried to get an official "ruling" on that as a club member you'd have a hard time. You'd get 7 different opinions and then if you found the guy in charge he'd probably tell you no just because you bothered him. That said, I haven't had any negative experiences myself yet.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Sounds like all us Butler County shooters are in the same boat. I'm shooting at Wexford SGL, shitty as it is, but haven't found anywhere I want to join. Ideally, I'd like:
    1. Close to work or home,
    2. Ability to practice tactical situations - drawing from holster, multiple targets, shooting on the move, etc.
    3. Indoor range that allows FMJ

I've been to Millvale Sportsmens Club, and have been looking around online, but haven't found anything. If I lived closer to PMSC, I'd join in a minute. Is that really the only choice?

(Lancaster County)

If you dont mind making the drive up to East Butler the Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club is great. They have great facilities both indoor and outdoor, rifle, pistol, and trap. The place is tucked back a half mile down a back road has three ponds and is usually dead. I shoot there once or twice a week and I usually have the whole club to myself, its awesome.

I believe the pistol range is out to 50 yards and the rifle range is out to either 200 or 250 yards. Both are sheltered and the rifle range has a ton of nice carpeted benches to shoot from. Its pretty cheap if I remember correctly. First time payment of $50 for intiation and dues and then it drops off to $35 a year after that.

Check it out: http://bchfclub.org/index.html

(Allegheny County)

Re the Butler range on 2nd Street East Butler, is it true you cannot have more than 10 rounds total?

Also regarding the indoor range, is it lead only or fmj? what is the max calibre?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Re the Butler range on 2nd Street East Butler, is it true you cannot have more than 10 rounds total?

Also regarding the indoor range, is it lead only or fmj? what is the max calibre?
    Yes this is one of their rules.
    I'll see if I can find the indoor range rules. Never used it myself.

Edit: I couldn't find anything about the indoor range. Hopefully someone can chime in to answer those questions for you.
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; November 14th, 2011 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast