Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: various gun laws...

I would like to see two major changes in PA...

1) Do away with the requirements to have a pistol/handgun in a vehicle without a LTCF. ie so those who OC can do so without having to be on foot from where ever to where ever.

2) Allow long arms to be loaded while in a vehicle

CL

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

1) Do away with the requirements to have a pistol/handgun in a vehicle without a LTCF. ie so those who OC can do so without having to be on foot from where ever to where ever.

CL
    i agree...

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

CL
    I never have understood the basis of that law. It's not like manuevering a rifle is easy in a vehicle. The only thing I can figure is to thwart poaching/hunting from a vehicle. Anyone know how this law came to be?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    I never have understood the basis of that law. It's not like manuevering a rifle is easy in a vehicle. The only thing I can figure is to thwart poaching/hunting from a vehicle. Anyone know how this law came to be?
    It is in the Game Statutes, so that's a good assumption . . . Note that in this section "firearm" includes rifles and shotguns.
    Title 34 (Game) § 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded. The exceptions in this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

(b) Exceptions.--This section shall not be construed to apply to:

(1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.

(2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.

(3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act)...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Until PA has laws like Wyoming and Vermont, we will be living with a concession.
    Except that suppressors are illegal in Vermont, and the gun-free schools law includes colleges (only downsides I can think of - it was nice not having to worry about having an LTCF up there). Oh, and IIRC, no castle law.

As an aside, I went to law school up there. Vermont has a pretty healthy gun culture among the locals. The campus was pretty balanced as far as political views, but you should've heard some of the antis squeal when they found out that Vermont wasn't the full-blown liberal utopia they'd thought it was.
    Last edited by Black Sheep; November 6th, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    Except that suppressors are illegal in Vermont, and the gun-free schools law includes colleges (only downsides I can think of - it was nice not having to worry about having an LTCF up there). Oh, and IIRC, no castle law.

As an aside, I went to law school up there. Vermont has a pretty healthy gun culture among the locals. The campus was pretty balanced as far as political views, but you should've heard some of the antis squeal when they found out that Vermont wasn't the full-blown liberal utopia they'd thought it was.
    Yeah, I like it up here. It's very "live, and let live."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12