Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home-Based FFL

(Bucks County)

Default Home-Based FFL

I saw a product (http://www.ffl123.com) that will assist you in obtaining a home-based FFL.

Has anyone tried getting a home-based FFL? Is it worth it?

EDIT: (The product is what got me thinking about it. I'm not endorsing it, I'm not asking if anyone has used it. Just asking if anyone has an FFL and if it's a worthwhile investment)

I have been considering it to pick up some extra money doing transfers. Plus, being able to buy wholesale seems like a nice trade off.
    Last edited by bigdawgbeav; November 4th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Home-Based FFL

You'd be willing to pay for something that is already sell explanatory? That there is like one of those self-help books that tells you stuff that is already common sense.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You'd be willing to pay for something that is already self explanatory? That there is like one of those self-help books that tells you stuff that is already common sense.
    OK.. I really don't think that was called for. I'm asking about getting a home-based FFL. Doesn't have to be with something some guy is selling...

I am simply asking if anyone else has a home based FFL and if it's worth it.

I'm guessing I wasn't clear enough for you... (I'll edit the post so it's clearer)
    Last edited by bigdawgbeav; November 4th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Westmoreland County)

If you are considering doing this in order to go into business selling firearms and doing transfers, good luck to you. If you are thinking about getting an FFL primarily to buy cheap guns for yourself and your friends then forget it.

You will need a retail sales tax license and a Pa. license to sell firearms (You need the former to get the latter). Plus you will need to be sure your place of business (Home) is zoned for some sort of commercial use. There are several other items that might need to be attended to as well. Not to mention the BATF initial inspection before your license is issued.

I'm not trying to discourage you in particular but make you aware of some of the issues you will have to deal with. Again, Good luck.

(Lycoming County)

I looked into the FFL also.

If I recall correctly, within the last year or so they have changed it so you must have a brick and mortar store to obtain your FFL.

I think Big Brother is trying to keep a better eye on those that desire to do business dealing with firearms.

I believe it is no longer possible to obtain one as an individual.

I spoke to a friend who runs a small firearms business out of his home (he does have a shop area set up to do so) and he said he still has his because he does have a shop and he was grand-fathered in when they changed things.

I hope that helps!

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Bucks County)

My FFL is under the 'gunsmith' moniker. It allows me to do transfers and anything else a brick/mortar store could do.

Brick and mortar retail location not needed. You will be inspected by the Feds. You need all the state licenses and some kind of sign-off from your local zoning officer.

It is probably not worth it, just for the purpose of doing transfers.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    My FFL is under the 'gunsmith' moniker. It allows me to do transfers and anything else a brick/mortar store could do.

Brick and mortar retail location not needed. You will be inspected by the Feds. You need all the state licenses and some kind of sign-off from your local zoning officer.

It is probably not worth it, just for the purpose of doing transfers.
    cdi:

How long ago did you get your FFL?

Do you feel it was money well worth spending?

Did you have to produce some sort of certificate of attending a Smith school?

I am curious how they handle that.

I did not even think of someone in your position.

That really opened my eyes to the fact someone may be in a situation that would be good to have it other than doing straight sales.

Thanks!

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Does anyone know positivley if you cant have a home based, or individual one? I would not be suprised as this admin not only is anti-gun but anti-business. There are many people who could probably make a decent living out of that.

(Westmoreland County)

One can have a home-based FFL; but one must be set up and be a commercial business. One just can't get an FFL for their own personal use. Depending on the zoning and how the particular ATF examiner sees things (They can be capricious in interpretation of regulations at times) one might not even need a brick and mortar storefront. Just an area designated as the "Business Premisis". I know several who operate this way. But it must be apparent you intent to engage in a business. As I said in a prior post one needs a Sales Tax License to get a Pa. License To Sell Firearms. Without the latter you can't get registered with PICS and are unable to do instant checks. The BATF website has lots of information on obtaining a FFL and what the basic requirments are.

Again, good luck.

(Perry County)

I just got mine and sell from my garage. I have no retail establishment. I am set to sell online and take in shipped firearms for those that contact me wishing to do so. I have no hours other than by appointment. My investigator determined that it was a business endeavor. He checked the business license and zoning. We discussed security.

My biggest hurdle was an initial conversation with the Township secretary who told me I didn't need anything to run an internet business. That proved to be incorrect and I had to spend $500 to get a zoning variance. It also held up my FFL for more than a month.

If you aren't going to do it as a business than you won't get the license.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast