Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Converted my G23 to .357 sig and......

I recently just got a KKM .357 sig Barrel for my g23. Before going to the range I stopped at my local gun shop. I bought two boxes of Golddots(they were in old packaging) and two boxes of Fiocchi *copper Plated* 124 grn FMJs(the writing on the box was all in Italian, if that means anything).

When i got into the range, It started off fine. I loved the round and the way it shot. However after about two Magazines in, my gun jammed(failure to feed). The rest of the box went through fine. When I started shooting the second box, it failed to feed again, then again, then again. After the second box was finished my gun had failed to feed a total of seven times, one of those times it even failed when I was racking the slide to load it.

I went to the counter and asked if people have ever complained about the Converted 357s ever having problems. The guy asked me if I had changed the spring, I told him I didn't and that every one I have talked said the original spring will work just fine. I then purchased a box of federal American eagle FMJs and went back to the range to give it another try. I put the whole box through my gun with out a single problem, worked just fine, I loved it.

Does anybody have an theories on what was the problem, do you think I need to do something else for gun or were those Fiocchis just no good for it? (on a side note, I could tell the federals were loaded hotter then the fiocchis, the recoil was stronger and they were much louder)

I would love to use this as my carry round but those failures to feed has me thinking twice.
    Last edited by Invention; November 4th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Converted my G23 to .357 sig and......

Quote Originally Posted by Invention View Post
    I recently just got a KKM .357 sig Barrel for my g23. Before going to the range I stopped at my local gun shop. I bought two boxes of Golddots(they were in old packaging) and two boxes of Fiocchi *copper Plated* 124 grn FMJs.

When i got into the range, It started off fine. I loved the round and the way it shot. However after about two Magazines in, my gun jammed(failure to feed). The rest of the box went through fine. When I started shooting the second box, it failed to feed again, then again, then again. After the second box was finished my gun had failed to feed a total of seven times, one of those times it even failed when I was racking the slide to load it.

I went to the counter and asked if people have ever complained about the Converted 357s ever having problems. The guy asked me if I had changed the spring, I told him I didn't and that ever one I have talked said the original spring will work just fine. I then purchased a box of federal American eagle FMJs and went back to the range to give it another try. I put the whole box through my gun with out a single problem, worked just fine, I loved it.

Does anybody have an theories on what was the problem, do you think I need to do something else for gun or were those Fiocchis just no good for it?

I would love to use this as my carry round but those failures to feed has me thinking twice.
    My opinion is aftermarket barrels are for range/competition.

If it were me and I was buying another barrel and planned on using it for carry I would have got a Glock factory barrel. The KKM probably has a tighter chamber and this is what could be causing you your problems.

I have a G33 357sig that has never had an issue with a couple thousand rnds down range. I also have a 40 factory barrel with about a thousand rnds fired and no failures at all.

I never used any Fiocchi in .357sig but what I did notice with it that the case length looked longer to me than the other .357sig ammo like Speer, Winchester and Federal. Some reloaders have issues with aftermarket barrels and have to have the throat opened up to work properly. I only ever bought Glock barrels because they are more forgiving and work well.

The followers are different currently between the .40 and .357sig mags but they didn't use to be. Personally if I was going to carry the G23 converted to .357sig I would get .357sig followers and Glock G32 barrel.

Its possible you could have gotten some out of spec ammo. Or the barrel could be at fault. I would compare the Fiocchi ammo to the Federal ammo and maybe take some measurements with the caliper.

I would say that your failure to feeds are a combination of two factors. First, You have a non-factory barrel with infinitesimally tighter chamber dimensions and Secondly, Fiocchi ammo.

I had a box of Fiocchi ammo do exactly the same thing in my P220 and that had the factory barrel in it. 7 out of 50 rounds in that particular box failed to feed and no amount of smacking the back of the slide or reloading them into the magazines would chamber them. The A.E. and the Hydra-Shoks that I shot that day went off without a hitch, but ever since then, I've stayed away from Fiocchi ammo.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

That KKM barrels having some problem I try another brand of ammo before sending it back. I've heard off others doing the same with no problems.

The Glock 23 to the 357 sig only takes a 357 sig Barrel maybe a spring but I think the 40 cal's spring can handle 357 sig pressures so only a barrel is needed and vice versa I hear.

Yet to do this but I might, if I buy 357 sig dies.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 4th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

(Indiana County)

I've posted about my utter disappointment with the current batches of Fiocchi made overseas.

I had some .40S&W that was hitting dirt at 20 feet, total garbage, it was made in Hungary.
    I had bought 5 boxes and ended up pulling down 3 1/2 boxes of it for components.
    Also have had some problems with 7.62 Nagant ammo as well.

Emails and calls to Fiocchi went unanswered.

I only buy Fiocchi that is US made now and only if it is a screamin' deal.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sounds to me like the ultimate problem was the Fiocchi ammo. Im going back to the range on sunday and putting a few more boxes through it using the AE fmjs and try a few gold dots through it. If all thats goes by with out any problems then I will be happy with my purchase, If not then I will look to get a factory barrel.
    Last edited by Invention; November 4th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.