Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Is AGI Gunsmithing Course worth it?

Hello,
    I'm interested in learning firearms repair and customization. I am considering taking the American Gunsmithing Institute home-study course. I would really like to enroll in the PA Gunsmithing School in Pittsburgh, but I already work a full time job, and my schedule just won't allow it. So, I'm hoping that doing the study at home course from AGI will allow me to learn gunsmithing while working full time.

I don't intend to make gunsmithing my full time job, I just want to work on guns in my spare time because it's something i like to do. And...making a few extra bucks here and there never hurt.

So my question is, is the AGI Gunsmithing Certification Course worth it?
    "Life does not stop and start at your convenience."

(Washington County)

Default Re: Is AGI Gunsmithing Course worth it?

It probably is worth it as a starting point, but my brother did one of these Home Gunsmithing courses, not AGI, but similar, and the one thing he does not have is Lathe training. He got his gunsmithing certificate, but there was no process or mechanism in place to gain valuable lathe time. So if you do it, keep in mind that you will have to find another gunsmith in your area to possibly apprentice under to be able to learn to run a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield24 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm interested in learning firearms repair and customization. I am considering taking the American Gunsmithing Institute home-study course. I would really like to enroll in the PA Gunsmithing School in Pittsburgh, but I already work a full time job, and my schedule just won't allow it. So, I'm hoping that doing the study at home course from AGI will allow me to learn gunsmithing while working full time.

I don't intend to make gunsmithing my full time job, I just want to work on guns in my spare time because it's something i like to do. And...making a few extra bucks here and there never hurt.

So my question is, is the AGI Gunsmithing Certification Course worth it?
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Luzerne County)

I have been accumulating the agi stuff for a few years now. Are they worth it. I would say yes. but that also depends on the price you pay. I get most of mine from Ebay.

I have an old High Standard that I was having a hard time taking down. I happened to look on ebay and I got the agi tape for like ten bucks.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

Yes and no. I went to the colorado school of trades for their gunsmithing degree. If you are a person that can learn well from a book or a dvd, then you'll most likely do fine. I however learn things from doing them hands on, and have difficulty learning from a dvd.

The complete gunsmithing course does seem to have a vast amount of dvd's, for the price it might be worth it to take the video course, versus paying $20k for the PA gunsmithing school. If you having any questions while watching the videos, please post a question on here or message me directly, always happy to help someone new out with different techniques, etc.

Start a saved search on ebay for "agi gunsmithing course", sometimes you can find the complete course on there for half the price.

Andrew
    Last edited by digdug18; November 5th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.

(Erie County)

many of the courses are a little bit older and have some outdated techniques. With that being said. Its still a great place to start off.