Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Sig716 - Whats the deal?

I'm selling my BAS-K and my date with "the sandbox" was "renegotiated" so I will not be leaving when I had thought. With that said, I do want another .308 and this is peaking my interest. I was going to go with an M1A with EBR but I don't see that happening. And then it dawned on me... The Sig716. Not too expensive, would offer what I desire and need but there is still an issue or three.

1. I know I would need to have a dealer order it b/c it certainly wouldn't be in their normal inventory. Some websites have it in stock so it's not too much of a big deal.

2. I'm feeling like I would foot the bill for a Precision Marksman model but in doing several forum searches I found that the regular carbine uses PMAGs and the Precision Marksman uses M14/M1A mags. Some sites claimed it uses PMAGs as well, but I don't seem to find that being the case. For price reasons, I think the PMAG would be better, but not sure. So... what does it use!?

3. Lack of reviews. I can't seem to find real reviews of people buying it. With Sig's wave of QC issues that also prevents me from moving that direction. The REPR is way too expensive and the POF isn't far behind. The PWS only comes in 16 or smaller.

Does anybody have anything to offer as far as background on the Sig716?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig716 - Whats the deal?

i do not believe the 716 is actually on dealer shelves yet which is probably why you haven't been able to read any range reports on them. if you really want a nice 308 there are other good choices out there that you can buy now instead of waiting for the sig. DPMS, RRA, and armalite all make great 308 AR style rifles at affordable prices. i purchased a DPMS AP4 and it was 100% reliable, had decent accuracy and only cost me about 1200 bucks. you may also want to consider purchasing a DSA FAL or HK91 clone as an alternative to the sig.

try asking your question at sigforums.com because you can probably get a better answer from those who live and breath sig

The M1As are more accurate and at least as reliable. A Troy Industries upgrade stock is easy to install and converts the M1A into ergonomic match for any rifle on the market today. Take the M1A, you won't be sorry. People say that the 18" barreled scout's accurate range stops at around 800 yards. Even when the gun was filthy and hot, I watched a Scout/Sniper take mine and quickly (relative term) work out a dope to get him on target at 1000+ in western Virginia and I was running Prvi Partizan ammo. I would not have believed that had I not seen it done. Man sized target at 1000+ is totally possible for that gun from a prone bi-pod... If you can shoot like that... Which I can't.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Beaver County)

There was one with an EBR stock on here but I guess it got sold. Seemed like a hell of a deal.

I do really want the M1A but I've also wanted a an AR-10 platform, and the piston variant seemed nice for using not so nice ammo.

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial...ision-Marksman

That troy stock is pretty nice! Same price as the sage but it appears to have a rail all the way back so I wouldn't have to worry about extra cash for a scout mount for optics.