Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Basic AR-15 Newb Questions

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Plum...erassembly.htm

So basically I then need an upper receiver (and mag and ammo) and I have a fully functional AR-15? Is it really as simple as A+B=AR15 (of course assuming I am using a complete upper and complete lower)?

I hear of people getting and trading new upper and lowers all the time, but I didn't realize it was as simple as that. It's really plug and play to borrow an old computer marketing buzzword.

The best thing is you take the two parts apart and it's furniture...which makes storage less of an issue than with a handgun (though you could just take a barrel and spring out and have a similar effect, though I would want to rely on it as the only means of safety.

I of course know you get what you pay for, but the best thing is I can spread around the purchase of items over a couple of months, but still I can start out with a cheapie as a first time build and advance from there. I mean I want something for basic target shooting not urban warfare. lol

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Basic AR-15 Newb Questions

It's as simple as that ... think lego blocks. And yes, you get what you pay for.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier42 View Post
    It's as simple as that ... think lego blocks. And yes, you get what you pay for.
    My mind is blown. I just couldn't have imagined it being that easy and/or potentially cheap. Funny thing is the "firearm part" seems to run cheaper.

Nice think is it seems people are always trading/selling uppers and lowers here, so I could do nice on quality and price.

(Bucks County)

Yep, but remember uppers don't always include a BCG (bolt carrier group). Also, in case you don't know, the lower you linked to is made out of plastic. They are normally made out of aluminum.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Yep, but remember uppers don't always include a BCG (bolt carrier group). Also, in case you don't know, the lower you linked to is made out of plastic. They are normally made out of aluminum.
    No, I understand, like I said I am looking at on the cheap versus squirrel some away for a while and get a Colt or something high end...but then again get a cheap one and then get an AK!

I think I've caught the AR bug!

(Allegheny County)

You can get a forged aluminum lower receiver for $59-79. Do not buy a plastic one. Please!

Check out some of the deals PSA has. They put together some good options at fair prices. Saving money by buying the main receiver portion in plastic is a bad move for the long haul IMO. If it costs you $30-40 more here to put it together with an aluminum one. Do it.

That said I really like joe bobs. Just not those plastic receivers...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    You can get a forged aluminum lower receiver for $59-79. Do not buy a plastic one. Please!

Check out some of the deals PSA has. They put together some good options at fair prices. Saving money by buying the main receiver portion in plastic is a bad move for the long haul IMO. If it costs you $30-40 more here to put it together with an aluminum one. Do it.

Whose PSA?

Point taken on the plastic vs Aluminum. Heck, I kind of figure that I could just buy the parts and pay someone from the board to help me assemble it. Then again I told my wife the same thing about my computer...and I built it myself.

Hell, I'd prefer her to build it, she's the one with better building skills than me. During the last blackout she couldn't stand doing nothing and decided...and did build a bench we got recently...in the dark pretty much.

Actually I've really enjoyed "gunsmithing" (and I apologize to those who actual are gunsmiths and skilled in the art), thinks like swapping barrels, switching safeties and breaking down/reassembling my M&P and now the Nagant. It's so fun.

(Butler County)

And remember that the "gun" is the lower.

Search for the m4 spreadsheet and it will explain all about the various pars and pieces and what's good vs. cheap.

Here....
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...=2&output=html
    Last edited by chivvalry; November 3rd, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    Whose PSA?
    Palmetto State Armory

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post

Effing this^

I'd rep you but I gotta spread it around first aparently, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast