Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Who are the "Road Monitors" in Huntingdon??

I was traveling through Huntingdon and noticed for a 30 + mile stretch there were men with communication devices and cameras posted on RT 22. The men 's dress included neon green and some had sitting chairs. Many pictures were being snapped at the backs of our autos. Possibly for licenses??
    What is this about??

(Blair County)

Default Re: Who are the "Road Monitors" in Huntingdon??

Poker run? Bicycle race? Procession of some sort?
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Berks County)

Nothing seems to justify the picture taking of passing vehicles for license plates. Also these men were unapproachable ( this may be my opinion as I tried to slow up to ask a question and was given a " keep going with a stern look".

You could call the Penndot office serving that area or the local or state cops and see if they know.

(Lancaster County)

SSSHHHHHHH!!!!! You probably caught the Game Commission in the middle of their secret wolf-stocking operation. Keep your mouth shut!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/15...ng-wolves.html

(Berks County)

I'll check with Penn Dot and the local Police tomorrow. Thank you.........

(Huntingdon County)

I have the answer for you.
    It is a traffic study. There is a large traffic study along 22 going on right now. I live along 22, been to the public meetings, etc.
    I used to work as an environmental scientist for a transportation engineering firm and this was something the engineers would do.
    For their traffic models, they need an origin/destination study as well as a bunch of other info.
    They will do things like traffic counts at all big intersections.
    They will lay out traffic counters along the highway (rubber strips across the road).
    They will also (sometimes) do a travel study where they set up a checkpoint basically and will stop your car and ask you where you are coming from and where you are going to. I worked these before, it was way to dangerous - most people were not willing to cooperate (I would not cooperate either).
    Also they will use a combination of cameras and license plates to determine where people entered the highway and where they exited the highway.
    If John Q sees a license place XXX pass him at a restaurant, and then at the next monitor, no XXX plate passes the next person, then they can deduce that XXX left the roadway between those 2 points.

They use this info for traffic models, for roadway load info, etc. People's info is not saved, not reported to the police, etc. Environmental scientists or archaeologists or engineers in training who are short on work end up checking and marking where vehicles enter and leave the highway, and then the videos/pictures are tossed (I ended up helping the engineers a lot).

(Berks County)

Thank you for that information. It is exactly what I was told by PenDot's Human Relations Dept.
    The "Road Monitors" were Civil Engineers undergoing a Traffic Study.

Thank you for responding.