Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default traveling to Ohio...

Yes another thread about Ohio.

I'm going to a PennState vs Ohio game in a few weeks. I hate the thought of traveling across the state without a gun, but I am concerned about Ohio laws and been thinking about just leaving it home. I'll be there for 2 nights.

I suppose I can lock gun and ammo separately. I guess I'm most concerned about getting stopped or in an accident that might lead to a search.

What's the best approach? I don't need to carry while in Ohio. I just hate to be without.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: traveling to Ohio...

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Yes another thread about Ohio.

I'm going to a PennState vs Ohio game in a few weeks. I hate the thought of traveling across the state without a gun, but I am concerned about Ohio laws and been thinking about just leaving it home. I'll be there for 2 nights.

I suppose I can lock gun and ammo separately. I guess I'm most concerned about getting stopped or in an accident that might lead to a search.

What's the best approach? I don't need to carry while in Ohio. I just hate to be without.
    Keep it unloaded in a case with some sort of zipper or latch or in the trunk both would be better in my opinion. Keep the ammo separate and unload all magazines. There is only a duty to inform if it is loaded and a magazine with rounds in it is a loaded firearm in Ohio.

If you think you may be in Ohio more often consider getting a UT FL (and I think AZ) permit/licence.

See also:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

http://www.ohioccw.org/

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
    (5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.
    (E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code

or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following :

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

(2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle

;

(3) Knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped or knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(5) Knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person’s hands in plain sight.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16
    Last edited by QuackXP; November 1st, 2011 at 09:05 AM.

(Lawrence County)

You can get a Virginia permit in 2 wks.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/cel83801

knighted4

I've checked OH carry laws before & found them to be quite confusing. My wife's sister lives about 15 miles from Camp Perry & we go out there from time to time. I usually just leave the handguns at home when we go there. I feel naked without carrying, but firearms violations are usually felony offenses, so I choose not to press my luck.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I've checked OH carry laws before & found them to be quite confusing. My wife's sister lives about 15 miles from Camp Perry & we go out there from time to time. I usually just leave the handguns at home when we go there. I feel naked without carrying, but firearms violations are usually felony offenses, so I choose not to press my luck.
    MOST of the "confusing" stuff is gone. The things you still need to know about if you carry with a recognized credential:

1. If "stopped for a law enforcement purpose, you must "promptly" notify the LEO that you have an Ohio CHL (or recognized equivalent) IF YOU ARE CARRYING your firearm. If you're not carrying, there's no duty to inform.
    2. You may NEVER have a loaded RIFLE magazine in a vehicle.

The "confusing" stuff like required open carry in a vehicle, specific modes of carry in a vehicle, no carry in liquor serving establishments are all gone now.

We're working on getting rid of the notification requirement. With the able assistance of Officer Daniel Harless of the Canton Police Department (and the voices in his head), that goal is in sight.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    The "confusing" stuff like required open carry in a vehicle, specific modes of carry in a vehicle, no carry in liquor serving establishments are all gone now.
    ...with the additional caveat that you can't drink while in those establishments.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    MOST of the "confusing" stuff is gone. The things you still need to know about if you carry with a recognized credential:

1. If "stopped for a law enforcement purpose, you must "promptly" notify the LEO that you have an Ohio CHL (or recognized equivalent) IF YOU ARE CARRYING your firearm. If you're not carrying, there's no duty to inform.
    2. You may NEVER have a loaded RIFLE magazine in a vehicle.

We're working on getting rid of the notification requirement. With the able assistance of Officer Daniel Harless of the Canton Police Department (and the voices in his head), that goal is in sight.
    Carrying is not exclusive to it being on your person. If its loaded anywhere in the vehicle and you have a licence/permit with reciprocity you have to inform. Just to bring up this point again. A loaded magazine or speed loader is considered a loaded firearm in Ohio. However stripper clips and en bloc clips are not considered loaded firearms. Mostly because you can buy factory ammo this way and the previous law's had made it illegal to transport it without a permit/licence.