82 56.16%
  • Remain silent when the LEO asks if there are weapons in the car

13 8.90%
  • Other... please specify if you don't mind

25 17.12%
  • Deny, deny, deny!

6 4.11%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Poll: To inform or not to inform. Interested in your opinions.

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know how everyone else feels about the idea of informing the policy you have a concealed (or open) carry gun on you during a traffic stop.

Now I realize we are not a shall inform state so you have no legal requirement to inform the LEO that you are carrying but I'm curious what the general opinion of everyone here is. Granted, my plan is to not get pulled over the first place but should the situation arise, I would like to know how you folks feel on the topic.

My opinion is that even if they do ask, I'm not telling them I have a permit or a gun for that matter unless I need to exit the car for whatever reason. Then I would only tell them for my own safety to ensure some rookie doesn't shoot me because I am exercising my rights.

Default Re: Poll: To inform or not to inform. Interested in your opinions.

I missed adding, "Deny, deny, deny" to the poll. I will see if an admin could add that option for me.

(Bucks County)

Don't inform when they approach car. If they ask if you have any weapons, respond by saying, "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle." If they ask you to get out of the vehicle then inform them you have a LTCF and are carrying a firearm.

Never just say, "I have a gun!" because that could be perceived as a threat.

If you choose to inform, either hand them your LTCF, or start by saying, "I have a licence to carry firearms..."

IANAL, this is just my opinion, etc.

(York County)

Only if asked if there are weapons in the car, or if asked to exit the car. If its a routine traffic stop, its none of the officer's business.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    Only if asked if there are weapons in the car, or if asked to exit the car. If its a routine traffic stop, its none of the officer's business.
    Too many times though, a 'routine traffic stop' turns into a fishing expedition. How many times have people been stopped here for things and have been asked if there's weapon in the car? If a weapon being in the car has nothing to do with the reason why you're being stopped, they shouldn't be asking.

Next thing you know, you're hauled into the 8th District in Philly, your weapon, ammunition confiscated and your LTCF pulled.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

There is a specifically identifiable and widely usable option between "stay silent" per se and "deny, deny, deny!". It is "redirect and take control of the scenario". Smooth talkers already armed with the facts have the leisure of making this their standard mode of operation. For the rest of us, with rehersal and practice, we, too, can employ such an option.

It is preferrable to redirect and take control of the scenario, instead of informing the police about the LTCF and the firearms and then having a federal jury say the police did not violate anyone's right when they arrest you for simply carrying firearms. http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/1527...earch-car.html

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LostBits View Post
    I missed adding, "Deny, deny, deny" to the poll. I will see if an admin could add that option for me.
    I've added the "deny" option.

My personal opinion on the issue is to not make weapons, an LTCF, etc. an issue until the police do. You have no obligation to inform, so don't offer up that information unless the situation requires it. For example, if I am stopped and I'm in my car for the duration of the stop, I say nothing about my legally carrying a weapon. I've actually been in this situation and done just that, and there were no issues. However, if I were for any reason asked to exit the vehicle, and I choose to comply with the request, I would likely inform.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Too many times though, a 'routine traffic stop' turns into a fishing expedition. How many times have people been stopped here for things and have been asked if there's weapon in the car? If a weapon being in the car has nothing to do with the reason why you're being stopped, they shouldn't be asking.

Next thing you know, you're hauled into the 8th District in Philly, your weapon, ammunition confiscated and your LTCF pulled.
    While I agree that such stops often turn into a fishing expedition, that concern has to be weighed against actively lying to police about the existence of you legally plowned and carried weapons, or remaining silent about those weapons which they may find on your person. Note that remaining silent is perfectly legal, however if you were to go to court, you could be mischaracterized as a person that was unwilling to assist police, that it showed you had "something to hide", etc. Then again, it might not.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; October 31st, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Thank you for adding that option for me. I couldn't find a way to add it after the poll had been posted.

I'm curious, if the LEO asked you if you had weapons in the car, would you tell them? I'm still of the opinion that it is none of their business so I would say no since it does not pertain to the reason for the stop however I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if that is "providing false information to an officer" and thus a crime.

(Lawrence County)

I wouldn't inform unless I had to exit the vehicle, or if I needed to reach near my gun to get something, say my wallet. Generally I'd try to have my wallet, insurance, and registration out before he gets to the car, but people (and I) forget. In the latter's case, it's more of a courtesy and an effort to keep him from thinking I'm automatically going for the gun. Even more so if he has a partner at the passenger side window and he may see me reaching back and think it's a SHTF moment.

If I have to exit the vehicle, then I'll inform so the officer knows what to expect and doesn't have an 'oh shit' moment when he sees the gun. Again, courtesy and a bit of common sense. I want the officer on the same page as myself, and to let him know I've got a gun on me but I mean no threat to him.

(Berks County)

Thank you for adding that option for me. I couldn't find a way to add it after the poll had been posted.
    No problem.

I'm curious, if the LEO asked you if you had weapons in the car, would you tell them? I'm still of the opinion that it is none of their business so I would say no since it does not pertain to the reason for the stop however I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if that is "providing false information to an officer" and thus a crime.
    See my reply above, I linked a thread I started on this discussion years ago, based on a traffic stop I had just undergone at the time. It turned out to be a routine stop, the officer in question had no idea I was carrying, and no one was worse for the wear.

As I alluded to above, while I would likely inform if I were asked to exit the vehicle, or if directly asked, that doesn't mean that's the "right" answer. I don't believe a question like this has one right answer, other than that each individual must do what they think is best for themselves at the time.

I would always advocate that one do whatever they can to protect their rights, and make sure that one's actions always provide for, or at least don't prevent, any legal recourse if their rights are violated.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast