Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Thinking about joining Kimberton Rod and Gun Club

Yes, you should!
    A member's endorsement is needed, but it is usually a formality as you will meet members when you go to a meeting to request membership.

(York County)

Checking in on this thread. Kimberton still a nice, friendly place? I would like to stop out and visit a meeting, if all is still well. Thanks

Sending a PM.

(Chester County)

Hi Guys, I am looking for a Sponsor too. Is anybody here willing to sponsor a new member? If you don’t know who I am I can introduce myself. I almost joined KFGA about 10 years ago but joined NCCSA instead. I like NCCSA but I like shooting DCM/CMP and CMP Rimfire which Kimberton hosts plus I live in Phoenixville.

Meeting is this Thursday at 8 so kind of getting desperate to find a sponsor.

(Chester County)

Nothing against Kimberton, but if you're in Phoenixville you might also want to consider Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club, in Audubon just off Rt. 422. They have a CMP shoot, NRA/Winchester Adult Smallbore, and Aggregate 800 Smallbore monthly year-round. Spring through fall, they also have an NRA Highpower shoot and 100-yard Adult Smallbore. Ranges include the 100-yard outdoor range, a 25-yard outdoor pistol range (five bays), two indoor pistol ranges that can be used for smallbore rifle, a trap field, and numerous archery ranges. lprgc.org

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
    Hi Guys, I am looking for a Sponsor too. Is anybody here willing to sponsor a new member? If you don’t know who I am I can introduce myself. I almost joined KFGA about 10 years ago but joined NCCSA instead. I like NCCSA but I like shooting DCM/CMP and CMP Rimfire which Kimberton hosts plus I live in Phoenixville.

Meeting is this Thursday at 8 so kind of getting desperate to find a sponsor.

Speaking strictly on the CMP shoots, I don't believe I have ever seen scores on the CMP Competition Tracker from LPRG.
    Lots of match scores from KFG posted on the CMP website. Some clubs have CMP approved matches and some just imitate CMP matches.

Disclaimer, I'm not a member of either club, just making an observation.

(Chester County)

You are correct--LPRGC has informal CMP shoots that follow the match rules, but they are not official CMP-approved matches. The same is true for the NRA High Power and long-range smallbore shoots. The only officially scored rifle program is the NRA/Winchester Adult Smallbore shoot on the first Thursday of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    Speaking strictly on the CMP shoots, I don't believe I have ever seen scores on the CMP Competition Tracker from LPRG.
    Lots of match scores from KFG posted on the CMP website. Some clubs have CMP approved matches and some just imitate CMP matches.

Disclaimer, I'm not a member of either club, just making an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry62 View Post
    Nothing against Kimberton, but if you're in Phoenixville you might also want to consider Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club, in Audubon just off Rt. 422. They have a CMP shoot, NRA/Winchester Adult Smallbore, and Aggregate 800 Smallbore monthly year-round. Spring through fall, they also have an NRA Highpower shoot and 100-yard Adult Smallbore. Ranges include the 100-yard outdoor range, a 25-yard outdoor pistol range (five bays), two indoor pistol ranges that can be used for smallbore rifle, a trap field, and numerous archery ranges. lprgc.org
    I thought about Lower Prov., but after talking to former and current members I decided that there seemed to be way too much bureaucracy and unnecessary over-sight. Kimberton is much more comfortable and relaxed. I just wish there was a longer than 100 yd. rifle range.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    I thought about Lower Prov., but after talking to former and current members I decided that there seemed to be way too much bureaucracy and unnecessary over-sight. Kimberton is much more comfortable and relaxed. I just wish there was a longer than 100 yd. rifle range.
    I respect your decision and have no interest in dissuading you--but for others reading this thread, I want to respond to the description of Lower Providence as having "too much bureaucracy and unnecessary over-sight". I haven't seen anything that I would say fits that description. It's a very well-run club, with committees to manage the operation and maintenance, and occasional changes to the club rules, of the various ranges and events. I know the rules inside out, and I can't think of a single one that reaches beyond the safety practices of any responsible gun and archery club.

For example, only members who are "multiposition qualified" can shoot a rifle from any position other than seated at the bench, but anyone who can demonstrate the ability to consistently get shots on paper (SR-1 target) at 100 yards can pass the qualification test. Similarly, we don't allow drawing from a holster until the shooter is "action qualified"--meaning he or she demonstrates the ability to consistently draw, fire and reholster, and shoot multiple targets on the move, safely.

The one thing I'm not entirely happy about is the recent change in the closing times for outdoor ranges. They used to be open until sunset, but now there are specific closing times, which change seasonally with the length of day but don't go beyond 8pm. The reason for this is to keep the neighbors happy (the club borders on a residential neighborhood)--we don't want any disputes that might lead to the township imposing further restrictions.

I happen to like LPRGC's strong emphasis on safety and responsible gun-handling, but I'm sure Kimberton is responsible as well. The atmosphere at Lower Providence is very comfortable, in that members are friendly and welcoming, and very happy to help out newcomers of any skill level. The only thing they aren't relaxed about is a serious safety violation.

Again, I'm sure Kimberton is a good club--just want forum readers to have an accurate picture of Lower Providence as well.

Happy shooting!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123