Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Thinking about joining Kimberton Rod and Gun Club

Well, after reading about and looking into most of the other clubs in the area, I think I have decided on Kimberton. The facilities seem nice, not to costly and from reading reviews, doesnt seem crowded.

Im tired of shooting at outdoor state park ranges with unsafe people and waiting in lines to get a spot.

Any current members have any thoughts or advice for me?

I plan on attending their meeting in November. It does however say that I would need a sponsor, if anyone on here could help with any suggestions on finding one, I would appriciate it.

Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Thinking about joining Kimberton Rod and Gun Club

Well, since you received no replies, I will advise what I know being a former member. They have 33 acres of land, a small membership which they control by having blackout times for receiving new applications. Nice club with friendly people who are always willing to help if asked. One unusual policy regarding their pistol combat range, not to be confused with their regular pistol range. Only lead bullets due to its close proximity to houses. Afraid of richochets which they experience many years ago at the bowling pin range adjacent to the range in which I am refering. I am not certain if the bowling pin range even exists anymore.

(Chester County)

I am a member there but will be letting it lapse. I like the ranges well enough, but I enjoy shooting at the Northern Chester County Sportsmens Club more. NCCSC is in a more secluded area. They don't care if you rapid fire your rifle or load the mag full.

They also have a longer rifle range. They don't care what you bring in to shoot so long as it doesn't explode or contains glass. If you haul it in you can shoot it, but you damn sure better haul it out.

The kids love shooting the metal flips targets at 150 yards with the .22 rifles.

Kimberton only allows paper targets. As mentioned by c45man, they are very cautious of ricochets.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the information.. Im going to check out the next meeting.

(Chester County)

I am a member at Kimberton and I like it a lot. The members are friendly and the ranges are adequate. The club is VERY safety conscious and great care is taken to keep bullets going in the direction they are supposed to go.

My advice is to attend some members meetings and speak to the members in attendance. If you're not an idiot or a mall ninja, somebody will sponsor you. Then you have to show up for a mandatory tour and safety evaluation, which is also well attended by club officers. They are there to evaluate YOU. Save the backtalk about why you're not allowed to carry concealed on the premises for another day. Show them that you can safely handle yourself and your weapon and you will receive a friendly welcome in return.

Kimberton is a nice, small, private club where the members show each other respect and they also respect their neighbors. The members want the club to remain secure in an area which is under development. That's why there are reasonable restrictions on what you can do.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Well, since you received no replies, I will advise what I know being a former member. They have 33 acres of land, a small membership which they control by having blackout times for receiving new applications. Nice club with friendly people who are always willing to help if asked. One unusual policy regarding their pistol combat range, not to be confused with their regular pistol range. Only lead bullets due to its close proximity to houses. Afraid of richochets which they experience many years ago at the bowling pin range adjacent to the range in which I am refering. I am not certain if the bowling pin range even exists anymore.
    the lead bullets only refers to shooting at Pins.... the pin range is still there but you have to get a "permit" to use it. The "combat pistol" range is the only range without mag restrictions.

As far as membership best bet is to go to public shoots and see if you can find a sponsor.

All and all its a nice club with friendly members (at least the ones i've met)

ETA they have 2 50 yard ranges but you can't shoot rifle cal center fire riles at either the story is the rim-fire and cowboy action guys want that range. the other range is a pistol only range that is rarely used.

They also have a "concealed carry weapons must be unloaded" rule that i am not fond of... but i'm just a new guy
    Last edited by Finch00; February 8th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Only lead bullets due to its close proximity to houses. Afraid of ricochets which they experience many years ago at the bowling pin range adjacent to the range in which I am referring. I am not certain if the bowling pin range even exists anymore.
    I was just there with a friend who IS a member there, the bowling pin range is alive and well. from a visitors perspective it is a nice clean safe range. If I lived in that end of the county I would probably join.

(Chester County)

I looked into the Kimberton club when I bought my first hunting rifle (always borrowed from friends in the past), a Mossberg bolt-action 30-06. The web site makes it appear nice enough, and I'm sure the members are a fine group of friendly, helpful people. However, I then discovered a deal-breaker: Kimberton requires anyone who applies to be, or become, a member of the NRA. I love shooting, I love hunting, and I love guns, for their beauty and craftsmanship as well as their utility--but I will *never* support the unjustifiably extreme political views of the NRA leadership. Here, too, I know for a fact that most NRA members are good, friendly, reasonable people, who do not agree with the leadership's politically extreme positions.

It may or may not be legal for Kimberton to exclude everyone who is not an NRA member (probably legal), but it is morally despicable to divide gun enthusiasts into "us" and "them". If they change their policy, I will reconsider; until then, at least, I went with the Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club. Their facilities are no-nonsense, but more than adequate. The people are friendly and helpful, and the safety rules and enforcement are air-tight--without being suffocating. They have just one, 25-yard, indoor pistol and small-bore-rifle range, but other than that, the facilities are equal to Kimberton's (100-yard outdoor range, shotgun skeet area, club house, and plenty of open space).

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman00x View Post
    Well, after reading about and looking into most of the other clubs in the area, I think I have decided on Kimberton. The facilities seem nice, not to costly and from reading reviews, doesnt seem crowded.

Im tired of shooting at outdoor state park ranges with unsafe people and waiting in lines to get a spot.

Any current members have any thoughts or advice for me?

I plan on attending their meeting in November. It does however say that I would need a sponsor, if anyone on here could help with any suggestions on finding one, I would appriciate it.

Thanks

(Delaware County)

An almost 4 year old thread comes to life to bash the NRA at a time when more shooters should be joining it. What are you doing to protect your gun rights?????

(Chester County)

The NRA has some really nice benefits for affiliated clubs. The clubs have to have 100% membership to qualify. For instance, the NRA helped a club I belong to obtain some really nice rifles and other things for the youth program. The NRA ponied up significant money.

If you have concerns about supporting the NRA, try talking to the club's officers about it and see if good things happen as a result of their affiliation. The choice is still yours, but I am willing to bet that you will be surprised at the good things they do.

BTW, I don't find their politics to be that extreme. Think of the position you want to take at the start of a debate or negotiation (read "The Art of the Deal"). We're talking a bout a fundamental human right.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast