Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Thinking about joining Kimberton Rod and Gun Club

I belong to another NRA mandatory club. I think of it as a good thing, both for the NRA and the club. If you "love" all things gun like you say, you should want an organization who will fight for your rights. Especially in this environment. The only thing that makes sense is you do have a gun but are a die hard Democrat, and don't want to support "the enemy".

And you are living in a dreamworld if you think "most" NRA members don't like the NRA "extreme" positions.

(Montgomery County)

I think those clubs are insured through the NRA so all club members have to be NRA members to be covered.

(Chester County)

Trolling almost 4-year-old thread to defend the NRA at a time when their leadership is out of step with reality. No one in any position of power is threatening my right to own hunting weapons. What are you doing that needs protecting? Assault weapons? Fully automatic military rifles? Good luck hunting with that shit.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the useful information--it's good to know that the club probably doesn't have an official political agenda. I already know that the NRA does some great stuff--specifically, their support for firearms safety education and teaching people how to handle guns properly from a young age.

Good point about the need to go into negotiations demanding more than you're willing to settle for. Problem is, the strategy doesn't work unless you follow through, giving a little to get a little. If adopting an absolute position is a negotiating tactic, the NRA hasn't actually made any practical use of it for 50 years. Regardless, I'm not going to write someone off just because they belong to the NRA. But I still choose to join a club that doesn't force me to be part of their quid pro quo with the NRA; if someone else wants to join, they can go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    The NRA has some really nice benefits for affiliated clubs. The clubs have to have 100% membership to qualify. For instance, the NRA helped a club I belong to obtain some really nice rifles and other things for the youth program. The NRA ponied up significant money.

If you have concerns about supporting the NRA, try talking to the club's officers about it and see if good things happen as a result of their affiliation. The choice is still yours, but I am willing to bet that you will be surprised at the good things they do.

BTW, I don't find their politics to be that extreme. Think of the position you want to take at the start of a debate or negotiation (read "The Art of the Deal"). We're talking a bout a fundamental human right.

(Chester County)

Got it. Thanks, Remington788, now Kimberton's policy makes more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I think those clubs are insured through the NRA so all club members have to be NRA members to be covered.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I belong to another NRA mandatory club. I think of it as a good thing, both for the NRA and the club. If you "love" all things gun like you say, you should want an organization who will fight for your rights. Especially in this environment. The only thing that makes sense is you do have a gun but are a die hard Democrat, and don't want to support "the enemy".

And you are living in a dreamworld if you think "most" NRA members don't like the NRA "extreme" positions.
    I have never been, and never will be, a NRA member.

I do my own leg-work, and the NRA isn't extreme enough for me.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry62 View Post
    Trolling almost 4-year-old thread to defend the NRA at a time when their leadership is out of step with reality. No one in any position of power is threatening my right to own hunting weapons. What are you doing that needs protecting? Assault weapons? Fully automatic military rifles? Good luck hunting with that shit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I have never been, and never will be, a NRA member.

I do my own leg-work, and the NRA isn't extreme enough for me.
    Then I guess I'll never see you at my club! Well, you can come as a guest, but never a member. I don't need "extreme". NRA dues aren't much, they do a lot of safety classes, and they do have political pull. An "extreme" gun organization won't carry any Washington weight.

Well, to get this necro-thread back on-track..........Kimberton F&G is still alive and well, and has closed the membership again at around 750. More than that and it becomes too "messy". New members do take a bit of a while to fit in. Just yesterday I had a 'confused' new guy start handling his pistol while I was still hanging targets. One of my regular partners stopped that quick. Thing do even out nicely when the newer members find a comfortable time and day to shoot, and us 'old guys' get them all trained-up.
    Still a great place to shoot and be a member.

(Chester County)

Jonnyc,
    Thanks for posting the info on Kimberton. I just moved to the Phoenixville area and have driven past Kimberton F&G a few times; thinking "I should join". When the membership opens, does the club require a member's endorsement to join? If so, can you give me an idea on how to go about getting to know members? BTW, I am an NRA member for many years, so I have that covered. :-)
    Tx,
    New to PVille.
    Ron, USAFSS, NRA, PAFOA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast