Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Factory or aftermarket night sights.

OK, need some advice. I'm getting myself another pistol, and I want it to have night sights on it. They come from the factory with Heinie Slant Straight Pro 8 night sights. It is about an $80 increase in the price of the pistol.

Should I go with these or put a set of aftermarket sights on. I'm not sure which I should do, and I thought I would ask all of you your opinion.

OR....... Should I put the night sights on hold and just put a Crimson Trace Laser ------------------------ on it. Look forward to hearing what you all think.

Decisions, decisions.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Factory or aftermarket night sights.

IMO the Heinie Slant Straight Pro 8 night sights are the best total package out there. I have them on my Glock, but only a front night sight. I am waiting for Heinie to release the race cut Straight 8's for the M&P45.

re: the laser or the night sights: get both. And a weapon light. They all compliment each other. But get low light training too, as this is most important.

What type of pistol, BTW? I would recommend the above for a full-size or compact service auto. If your buying a .38 snubbie I would go with just the laser.
    Last edited by Thekatar; January 22nd, 2008 at 02:09 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    What type of pistol, BTW? I would recommend the above for a full-size or compact service auto. If your buying a .38 snubbie I would go with just the laser.
    A subcompact XD9

Where can you get some good low light training at.

If you had to chose between the night sights and the laser. Which would you go with. Buying both right now will kill the pocket book.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Centre County)

My 2 cents. I'd go with the night sights first. The laser could die on you (remember it's electronic, with batteries). The Heinie sight is a very good sight, shows up very well in low/no light areas. After that, if you want the laser you could put it on.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Factory, if the Heinie sights are exactly what you want anyway; it saves you the trouble of ordering them and installing them yourself (which usually entails buying a sight pusher).

And I, personally, would go with the night sights over the laser. But then again, I don't care for lasers at all, so I'm somewhat biased.

And while the Heinie sights are nice, my preferred sights on polymer pistols are a Trijicon front sight, and a plain black Aro-Tek fixed target rear. Tons of light, and no chance of confusing the front with the rear (which is what annoys me about 3 dot systems).
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

I'd go with the night sights as well. Factory installed. I had tru-glo's installed on my G26 and like them alot but didn't have the factory option when I bought it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Factory, if the Heinie sights are exactly what you want anyway; it saves you the trouble of ordering them and installing them yourself (which usually entails buying a sight pusher).

And I, personally, would go with the night sights over the laser. But then again, I don't care for lasers at all, so I'm somewhat biased.

And while the Heinie sights are nice, my preferred sights on polymer pistols are a Trijicon front sight, and a plain black Aro-Tek fixed target rear. Tons of light, and no chance of confusing the front with the rear (which is what annoys me about 3 dot systems).
    Straight 8's are not a 3 dot system.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    A subcompact XD9

Where can you get some good low light training at.

If you had to chose between the night sights and the laser. Which would you go with. Buying both right now will kill the pocket book.
    FIRE Institute offers various low-light training, talk to TonyF or PeteG. John Farnam/DTI incorporates low light shooting in his Basic/Intermediate pistol course. Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers offer an outstanding low light intensive class in Ohio. There are just a few examples.

IMO night sights are mandatory.
    Last edited by Thekatar; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: sp.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    Straight 8's are not a 3 dot system.
    Yeah, I know. I was trying to explain why I use the Aro-Tek rear instead of a standard Trij rear, which annoys the shit out of me.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lawrence County)

Night sights are great.....lasers are overrated. A lot.

I really like the night sights where the rears are different colors than the front...I also like a bit brighter in the front if you can get it. Green tend to be the brightest.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast