Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Could use a suggestion

So I'm preparing for conceal carry while waiting for my LTCF in the mail (knock on wood...some of you know how the Lehigh Co sheriff is) and I've been trying to figure out which gun would be best. I'm thin, lanky, with unimpressive upper body strength. DA trigger pulls are beyond me for the moment, as far as accuracy reliability.

I own a Beretta 92FS and an RIA 1911 GI in .45. I can shoot just fine with either while taking my time with each shot, but in a stressful situation that demands performance under pressure and possibly rapid fire, the 92 isn't doing it for me. I constantly hit left of the target in steady fire, I believe due to the longer trigger pull even in SA mode. And forget that first DA shot.

I fire the 1911 a little better, though the increased recoil forces me to fire slower. I absolutely love 1911 triggers.

So, it seems to me that an optimal carry piece would be a compact 1911 in 9mm. Am I sound in this conclusion? Does anyone know of such a gun out there that they would recommend? And given what I've posted, do any other guns come to mind that may be good for me?

For the record, I'm not a huge Glock fan since they don't naturally point for me, but I'm going to try a 19 in the near future and see how it works again.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Could use a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post
    So I'm preparing for conceal carry while waiting for my LTCF in the mail (knock on wood...some of you know how the Lehigh Co sheriff is) and I've been trying to figure out which gun would be best. I'm thin, lanky, with unimpressive upper body strength. DA trigger pulls are beyond me for the moment, as far as accuracy reliability.

I own a Beretta 92FS and an RIA 1911 GI in .45. I can shoot just fine with either while taking my time with each shot, but in a stressful situation that demands performance under pressure and possibly rapid fire, the 92 isn't doing it for me. I constantly hit left of the target in steady fire, I believe due to the longer trigger pull even in SA mode. And forget that first DA shot.

I fire the 1911 a little better, though the increased recoil forces me to fire slower. I absolutely love 1911 triggers.

So, it seems to me that an optimal carry piece would be a compact 1911 in 9mm. Am I sound in this conclusion? Does anyone know of such a gun out there that they would recommend? And given what I've posted, do any other guns come to mind that may be good for me?

For the record, I'm not a huge Glock fan since they don't naturally point for me, but I'm going to try a 19 in the near future and see how it works again.
    If you Love 1911 Have you checked out anything in the Springfield armory line? The Xd And XDM are great weapons.. I am looking to pick up something smaller then my XDM 9mm in 4.5 length.

From what I understand, the DA/SA transition is problematic for you. Thus you are interested in 1911 to carry condition 1 cocked and locked. Tracking so far?

First thing that came to mind is the OL mighty GLOCK! but then you said No Go.

It appears to me you definitely need a 1911 or a striker pistol. I dont think we need to discuss 1911 because the are "essentially" the same in operation. So im gonna go ahead and say you should test out a S&W M&P, Steyr M9-A1, or Springfield XD.

Your money would be better spent on training. After doing so, you will be better prepared to make an informed decision on what to carry and you will have the proper skills to employ it effectively.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

I would recommend going to any local range and renting some of the different platforms available to you :

Try an XD/XDM if I may suggest from my personal bias. :-D

Also, if you feel the glock platform isn't for you - check out the S&W M&P line.

I do not think a 1911 platform in 9mm is a
    bad choice at all. If you end up where you started, so be it.

What your looking for at the range - with which do you have the greatest balance of accuracy / being able to get back on target?

Hope this helps, my personal philosophy is to carry what I shoot best with, whenever possible, but when that's not possible - the adage of a .22 in your hand defends better than a .45 in the truck comes to mind.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Cumberland County)

First I would suggest taking some type of basic training course.

I know it is expensive, but have you looked at the solo 9?

What ever gun you choose to carry, spend a lot of time practicing with it.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Could use a suggestion

nothing personal here but sounds like you need some more range time with a instructor. the problems you are having are typical issues for new shooters or shooters without good instruction. shooting handguns well is like a art form it takes time and practice to be comfortable and proficient. jumping down to a smaller size gun is just going to compound your problems, now dropping down a few in caliber will make the learning curve a bit easier. shoot often, shoot well, be safe, red dog

(Snyder County)

I would suggest more range time with a different perspective. Most stressful situations happen at very short distances although I tell folks to look for the longest straight distance in their homes such as a hallway or across a room for a shooting length to practice from. This length can vary but most of the time on average it's about seven yards. With only having roughly 20 some feet to work with, it's more important on hitting center of mass and not bulls eyes. Because of the short distance and since an attacker can close the distance of 20 feet in less than one second, you will not have time to align up sights to shoot. By practicing shooting from the hip, off hand, and other unconventional methods, your muscles begin a memory process. For these situations I also recommend practicing with a laser. By having a laser you will get an idea of bullet impact without having to align up sights.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post

Sounds like more practice at the range for sure .. I understand that first DA pull, been there done that .. I had trouble shooting my Glock 23 .. Something about the trigger pull .. mind of matter .. maybe .. But since going to the Sig's with the DA/SA trigger pull my shooting has improved 10 fold .. When I go to the range I try to concentrate and make every shot count .. Taking my time and going over what I did in the last pull/shot .. It will take time thats for sure .. Taking a training / shooting class would help .. Good luck in your choice ..

(Cumberland County)

How much money you got brother?

I'm just going to try to answer your question, and not bullshit you about what you're doing wrong and what you should do...

Springfield EMP.

Kimber Solo.

Colt New Agent or Defender.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast