Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default police took my LTCF on the spot

Hello, any insight to my situation would be appreciated.
    My story: Driving back from work, i was stop'd at a red light on the left lane. the left lane where i was at was a (only left turn lane) prior, but due to road changes and construction, the markings have been erased and its no longer a left turn lane. As i continued straight the person on the right lane flips out and completely cuts me off blocking both lanes of traffic, and starts yelling all sorts of words out the window while almost causing an accident. as he finally continues by making a left turn in front of me, i follow behind him to get his license plate. at this point he sees me and completely blocks my car in the middle of the street, gets out his car and approaches my driver side door. As i see him coming i take my gun out of the glove box and place it in my waste, and quickly get out the car to confront him at my door (he never saw my gun). Long story short, the police arrive and they take my permit because according to the officer "4 people saw i had a gun in my belt" which i don't see that to be illegal. i NEVER drew the gun, it was only visible cause my shirt was lifted up. Oh and i should mention that the guy i had the altercation with was a Philly cop and when the officer arrived they shook his hand and treated me like a criminal throughout the whole time. So pretty much no charges where filed and i received a revocation letter in the mail from the sheriffs office, saying "revoked due to the incident at *** on ***" and that's it.

How should i approach this to try a have my permit re instated, because i truly feel like i didn't do anything wrong.
    Any opinions, suggestions would help. Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: police took my LTCF on the spot

Two points. You should have never gotten out of your car. You had no reason to, you're safer within your car than without.

Stop posting and consult an attorney.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nino View Post
    i take my gun out of the glove box and place it in my waste.

eewwwww...

(Dauphin County)

As has been said, contact a lawyer immediately and don't post anything else regarding your incident until you have consulted a lawyer.

That said, from what you have told us you are theoretically in the right, though it could be argued that you were confrontational by getting out of your vehicle.

I am not a lawyer and am only taking a guess at the law and the reason your LTCF was revoked. Definitely contact a lawyer as soon as you can.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Two points. You should have never gotten out of your car. You had no reason to, you're safer within your car than without.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Stop posting and consult an attorney.
    +2

I have no advice on how you can get your LTCF back.

But if you do, get a holster or wear the one you have. A decent one starts at $30 although you can find holsters for less. Walking around with a gun tucked in your waist makes you look like a criminal and then you will be treated as one. Not that the philly PD seem to need a reason to treat law abiding citizens like criminals.

Not using a holster to carry is not illegal in PA (some states it is) it's just a bad idea on principal as there is very little supporting the firearm and nothing to cover the trigger guard.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 24th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

(Delaware County)

I will contact a lawyer if I have to (which seems that I do) reason I posted is to get some of your opinions since alot of you are more experienced than I am, I don't need a clear cut resolution. I should of continued straight and just diguarded his behavior and I should of stayed in the vehicle, but it already happened so I can't change it now. Again thanks for reading my post.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    +1

+2

I have no advice on how you can get your LTCF back.

But if you do, spend the $30 and get a holster. Walking around with a gun tucked in your waist makes you look like a wannabe criminal and then you will be treated as one. Not that the philly PD seem to need a reason to treat law abiding citizens like criminals.

Not using a holster to carry is not illegal in PA (some states it is) it's just a bad idea on principal as there is very little supporting the firearm and nothing to cover the trigger guard.
    I do have one, but I don't carry a fire arm unless I'm working in certain areas of philly, therefore I didn't have a holster at the time

(Lackawanna County)

You're getting the best advice anyone can give you right now. You were in Philly, so you're already screwed. Get a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

One more bit of advice, Don't talk to the police, even if you don't know they're the police at the time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    eewwwww...
    That was really funny. I was thinking the same thing.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast