Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Default everyones thoughts on firearm

was thinking of picking up a smith and wesson sigma 9mm in near future... whats everyones thoughts or reviews of this piece....pros and cons. thanks all

(Erie County)

Default Re: everyones thoughts on firearm

What specifically are your thoughts about this firearm, and have you considered other brands comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Google can be your friend! Google S&W sigma review and read -http://www.google.com/search?q=s%26w+sigma+review&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

(Lycoming County)

I do not own one of the Sigmas.

But I can tell you what I was told by one or two close friends that own gun shops.

They will not take them as trade ins because they do not resell good at all.

My take is that S&W is always know as a higher priced gun but they are one of the best, if not the best.

I have a .357 air light and it is a great shooting gun.

I think Smith was trying to reach the lower cost gun market and to do so they make (or better yet maybe have made for them - import) the Sigma series.

I originally was very interested in these as well but the more I read and talked to people - I shied away from them

I hear good about Smith's HD (Home Defense) series which is the next level up.

Check these out also.

Look for used so you can get a good gun a a better price and remember, if a gun is a little out of your price range at the moment, most shops have layaway to make it easier to get the gun you like.

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    I think Smith was trying to reach the lower cost gun market and to do so they make (or better yet maybe have made for them - import) the Sigma series.
    The Sigma is made in Massachusetts. Why do people make up misinformation like this?

As an actual owner and shooter, I agree that the Sigma is solid, reliable, and accurate. It's not a competition gun, it's not a collector's item, it's probably not something you'll fondle for hours or shoot thousands of rounds for the sheer joy of it, but sometimes a solid, reliable, and accurate gun is exactly what you need.

I own the 9VE and have no issues with it. It's become one of several carry options for me. I don't care if it has no resale vaule...I'm not selling it. Often we hear about the cheaper guns being made so that those on a tight budget can still afford to purchase some self-defense. Davis, Raven, etc. Nay..........THIS is the gun to go for if money is an issue. We're not all gun snobs and some of us want reliability on the cheap. This gun fits that bill.

I stake my life on it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Delaware County)

I will start by saying I do not own a Sigma. I did a lot of research on them when they first hit the market. I found a lot of neg info about them at this point. I held one and liked the way it felt but did not shoot it. I wound up buying a used model 10-8. I kind of got away from guns for a long while. (Had what I needed so didn't really care much about what was new on the market).
    Flash foward to last year and I started to get back into guns. I did some more research on the Sigma line and they seem to have gained a reputation as a decent reliable but not great gun. I would buy a used one if I found it at really good price. I do know a few people who have had them and for the most part they told me they were good at what they were supposed to be, a cheeper gun that would go bang when you pulled the trigger.
    I think you should try to rent one at a range and see how it feels for you. If you like it buy it. I will be in the market for a new edc within the next 6 months or so. I have taken the sigma off my short list because I will have about $500 to spend but if I only had $300 it would have stayed in the mix.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I will start by saying I do not own a Sigma. I did a lot of research on them when they first hit the market. I found a lot of neg info about them at this point. I held one and liked the way it felt but did not shoot it. I wound up buying a used model 10-8. I kind of got away from guns for a long while. (Had what I needed so didn't really care much about what was new on the market).
    Flash foward to last year and I started to get back into guns. I did some more research on the Sigma line and they seem to have gained a reputation as a decent reliable but not great gun. I would buy a used one if I found it at really good price. I do know a few people who have had them and for the most part they told me they were good at what they were supposed to be, a cheeper gun that would go bang when you pulled the trigger.
    I think you should try to rent one at a range and see how it feels for you. If you like it buy it. I will be in the market for a new edc within the next 6 months or so. I have taken the sigma off my short list because I will have about $500 to spend but if I only had $300 it would have stayed in the mix.
    Exactly. There are better guns out there...much better. But for the money this one will do the job. As for the trigger, if you practice enough you won't even notice the long, hard pull. It's not a race gun, it's purpose in life is to be a tool in your self-defense box. Myself, I like the trigger. I like having no safety switch. If ever I need this for defensive reasons I like knowing the gun is going to force me to be determined that a shot is going to be made.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    The Sigma is made in Massachusetts. Why do people make up misinformation like this?
    I was not making a statement up.

That is why I stated "Maybe."

I was hoping they did import it.

Disappointed they actually produce that themselves here in the USA.

Remington, who I have a lot of respect for, imports a coach gun, a .30-06 double barrel, and a 7.62 x 39 MM from Russia (Baikal?).

I have not read any good reviews on these and so I was hoping the Sigma maybe was from one of these type of manufacturers.

My apology if I offended you in any way.

God bless!!

PPP
    Last edited by Pistol Packin Preacher; October 24th, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast