Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default everyones thoughts on firearm

was thinking of picking up a smith and wesson sigma 9mm in near future... whats everyones thoughts or reviews of this piece....pros and cons. thanks all

(Erie County)

Default Re: everyones thoughts on firearm

What specifically are your thoughts about this firearm, and have you considered other brands comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Google can be your friend! Google S&W sigma review and read -http://www.google.com/search?q=s%26w+sigma+review&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

(Lycoming County)

I do not own one of the Sigmas.

But I can tell you what I was told by one or two close friends that own gun shops.

They will not take them as trade ins because they do not resell good at all.

My take is that S&W is always know as a higher priced gun but they are one of the best, if not the best.

I have a .357 air light and it is a great shooting gun.

I think Smith was trying to reach the lower cost gun market and to do so they make (or better yet maybe have made for them - import) the Sigma series.

I originally was very interested in these as well but the more I read and talked to people - I shied away from them

I hear good about Smith's HD (Home Defense) series which is the next level up.

Check these out also.

Look for used so you can get a good gun a a better price and remember, if a gun is a little out of your price range at the moment, most shops have layaway to make it easier to get the gun you like.

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mischief2145 View Post
    was thinking of picking up a smith and wesson sigma 9mm in near future... whats everyones thoughts or reviews of this piece....pros and cons. thanks all
    I had one in 9mm and ended up selling it a few years later for a S&W M&P 40.

It was very reliable, but the trigger has a mushy take up and does not have a clean break.

The accessory rail is proprietary and there are only a fiew accessories avaliable that work without an adapter.

Also because its not a popular duity firearm, holster and accessory compatibility will not be as good.

The Sigma runs about $300 new.

At $400 you can get the S&W SD series. Basically the same as a Sigma with a better (not great) trigger and standard accessory rail. You will still run into the same issue with holster and accessory compatibility. $400 will also be in the range of a used Glock, XD or S&W M&P.

At $500 now you are in the range of a new Glock, XD or SW& M&P.

My advice is save and buy a Glock, XD or SW& M&P either used or new. Unless you can find a good deal on one used, $200 or less. I't went bang every time I pulled the trigger aside from a couple of rounds during break in and intentional limp wristing. I could shoot it with defensive accuracy. If you can master the bad trigger in the Sigma any other trigger will seem x10 better and easier in comparison.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:53 AM.

(Indiana County)

I am a huge S&W fan, however I will never buy a Sigma series pistol. S&W made them to get into the bargain basement pistol market to compete with the low priced offerings from Ruger and others. Basically a rip off of Glock, but more cheaply constructed. Gun dealers don't want them as they don't sell-at all. By the way, I hate Glocks. They feel like a brick in the hand and I don't shoot them well at all.

Good S&W choices are used models like the compact 3913/3913 LS/3913 TSW and CS9 in 9MM. All can be found for $400-$500 in nearly new condition. I have a 3913 and it is super accurate and easy to hit with. Feeds anything I put in it too. Full size pistols- you can't beat "the tank" model 5906 of which there are a great many on the used market for $350 to $450.

New S&W's- the M&P series has a great number of supporters and has been well received by law enforcement.

I'll also cast a vote for the CZ-75 and its more modern current production brethren. 17 round capacity, accuracy and easy to shoot well.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300plus View Post
    I'll also cast a vote for the CZ-75 and its more modern current production brethren. 17 round capacity, accuracy and easy to shoot well.
    A good friend of mine has the CZ-75 P-01 and loves it. The aluminum frame makes it almost as light as the polymer pistols. They are not as popular in the US so holster and accessory compatibility is less. But you can find quality IWB and OWB holsters out there.

For me personally the Glock and XD are to blocky. The S&W M&P line is more ergonomic in my opinion.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 22nd, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

(Montgomery County)

In my opinion comfort is one of the most deciding factors when I purchase a new ( or used ) handgun. General rule of thumb: If it isn't comfortable in your hand don't buy it.
    Also the quality of the firearm.
    It needs to be reliable.
    Just my opinion.
    If it's reliable, it fits and you like it, buy it. You are the only one that needs to be happy with your purchase.

(Monroe County)

My thoughts: You can get a better gun for the price. Even if its free!

All I know is that the Sigma is the pistol Glock sued them over. Im sure a wiki search will enlighten you.

Other than that, I would imagine the mags would be expensive since they dont make the Sigma anymore.

If you can get it for dirt cheap I say go for it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast